8/8 Oberon AMPS 390, +2 335, +6 329, +9 319, PMPS 360, +2 359 Is my Lantus bad?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lisa & Oberon, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Lisa & Oberon

Lisa & Oberon Well-Known Member

yesterday

Day 2 of the new dose. Missed the 6 am check, so I have no idea what he did overnight. Hopefully we'll see some blue today!

Things to do today: read up on using calipers; eyeballing 0.75 is tricky. Also, properly assemble a hypo kit. I think I have everything I need, but it's scattered all over the house.

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  2. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Yep, trying to measure doses in between the markings is challenging. I feel you on that. I bought reading glasses and even those don't help much.

I learned from @Briere Fur Mom last night: the line markings on the syringe barrels can be inconsistent. I checked some of my own syringes today, and sure enough I found that the lines are not consistently in the same spot from barrel to barrel, so even if Oberon gets a dose that is on a line, the dose can be inconsistent if you are measuring to the line and not with calipers. So there is some additional motivation if you are thinking of using calipers;) ..and I am also going to start reading on how to use calipers today!

The kit will save you in the moment Oberon drops low. A lesson I have learned. The last thing you want to be doing is scrambling around for different foods, syrup and more test strips. :)

Briere Fur Mom and Lisa & Oberon like this.
  3. Lisa & Oberon

Yep, I followed along with your saga last night! Didn't want to chime in and clutter up your feed since I didn't have any actual advice to offer, but I was with you in spirit. Heading to my lab (I'm a biology professor) later this afternoon to find my calipers.

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  4. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Oh nice to know you were there! :)
    Sweet that you have calipers you can grab from work. That helps a lot. I'll be following to see if you notice a difference with Oberon once you start measuring his insulin with them.

5. Lisa & Oberon

Right now I'll be happy to get any sort of response at all... the vet started him at 1 U and it was pretty clearly too much. I dropped back to 0.5 and seem to be getting nowhere. Hoping that 0.75 is the happy medium.

6. Lisa & Oberon

329 at +6. Hmm. Option 1: he went lower overnight but I didn't see it, and this is a bounce. Option 2: This dose still isn't high enough for him. Option 3: My Lantus has lost effectiveness. (I got it in December 2019 and it isn't expired yet, but I dropped it on Wednesday.) Other possibilities? Thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  7. Lisa & Oberon

OK, the more I look at my spreadsheet the more I'm convinced that the Lantus went bad on Wednesday. Am I misreading things? I've already emailed my vet to see about getting more (even if I'm wrong it'll be good to have backup) but I'm not sure when he'll see the email so I may not be able to get it until Monday. Meanwhile, I'll keep using what I have just in case I'm wrong. Aargh. When I get a new vial/pens I assume I'll be basically starting from scratch at that point.

8. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

December 2019 is a lot of months but, many report using Lantus to the last drop(as long as it's refrigerated). 8 months might be pushing it. Hopefully others will chime in on length of time they've used Lantus and had no problems.
    It's been 10 days since Oberon re-started insulin. It may take a lil time for him to stop bouncing. It seems he clears bounces after 5 cycles. He sees some blues than starts bouncing again. Last night's cycle was cycle 5. You got a 268 @+3. In my brain he could have visited the beach unnoticed last night...or maybe even the lagoon. Today you're seeing the resulting bounce. Just something to consider:)

Crista & Ming likes this.
  9. Lisa & Oberon

I really hope you're right! I'm kind of flipping out at the idea that he may have been getting basically nothing for the past few days.

Briere Fur Mom likes this.
  10. Lisa & Oberon

359 at +2 is not making me feel any better about this... worth it to stay up and test at +3? Hoping my husband will get a +8 or +9 in the morning.

11. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

I don't think he has any big moves in store. If you want a mid-cycle test that's up to you. A lot of folks like the piece of mind knowing they're sweet one is safe. Some people want the data. If you're curious to see if the insulin is still viable than testing when the insulin is most active will show you(hopefully). Hope that wasn't too non-informative:p

Lisa & Oberon likes this.
  12. Lisa & Oberon

That helps, thanks. I'm not at all worried he'll go hypo with these numbers; I mostly just want to know if the insulin is doing anything at all at this point. A +6 or so would be my best bet for that, but I don't think I'm eager enough for the data to want to get up at 4 am to test him. Guess I'll wait and see what tomorrow's am cycle looks like.

Briere Fur Mom and Crista & Ming like this.