8/9Gussie sitter dose PMPS 211,+1 256,+2 226,+3 209,+5 166

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Gussie's mom (GA), Aug 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I wouldn't intervene unless he hits 50 which I hope doesn't happen.

Gussie's mom (GA) likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Gus came back up for you. I hope he keeps surfing safely.

3. carfurby (GA)

I agree with Elise. Even though Gus is surfing safely today, there is still a chance he could have gone lower if he hadn't gotten fed. I have a really busy day at work tomorrow, so I most likely won't be able to log-in and help you in the morning. So I wanted to offer my thoughts now.

tiffmaxee and Gussie's mom (GA) like this.
  4. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Ok got it..keeping my fingers crossed...

5. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you so much! I have to be on the road starting about noon ca time so won't be a long condo opportunity tomorrow..:nailbiting::nailbiting:. Thanks for all of your input with helping figure out what to do with my boy..:bighug:

6. carfurby (GA)

I hope you can find a plan for Gus so you won't worry so much and can enjoy your vacation.

7. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you so much..got the best feline diabetes brains there are working on it! :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Hope your workday is not a stressful one! :bighug:

8. Gussie's mom (GA)

YESSSSSSSSSS,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
    +7 84 without food prop!!
    As it is now called "carb'untainted" :):):):):cat::):):):bighug::bighug::bighug::woot::woot:

9. tiffmaxee

This is a very unique situation. If not for your trip, I would follow the protocol which does allow for reductions if your cat is hard to keep over 50 without lots of help. I just wanted to make sure everyone understands why I said what I did. Now go relax or pack!

10. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Leslie, where are you going, if you don't mind my asking?

11. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Totally agree Elise. This is a very different situation than most of the members will deal with. Given the unusual circumstances definite deviations from the normal protocols are being suggested here. As you stated if not for the trip and a kitty that is dropping very quickly, this would be a perfect opportunity to stick with the protocol. Sometimes life just gets in the way though. ;)

12. Gussie's mom (GA)

Not at all, Joshua Tree national park. The Perseid meteor showers are happening. I go stay in a little cottage on 5 dark acres. They are amazing to see. Hope I stay awake.

carfurby (GA) likes this.
  13. Gussie's mom (GA)

I am so very very grateful you have been by our side from the first post. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

14. Gussie's mom (GA)

Boy do I ever agree with that!

15. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

What fun! I have tried to see them from here, but even though there isn't a lot of lights around, it's not idea for viewing.

As for staying away, just pretend you have to test Gussie!;)

Have a wonderful time!

16. Gussie's mom (GA)

This trip is a now annual birthday trip for the friend who is my sister I would have added to my family! She is my back up Kitty CG, honorary Auntie, and all around great person. A birthday and a thank you trip all rolled in to one. She loves JT and this way doesn't have to make the 2hr + drive to and fro but gets to actually enjoy herself! It's an amazing place to just reset. When you are out there it is so huge, so vast and so infinitely timeless...all of your problems seem as tiny as you are in that amazing ancient and ongoing landscape...I love it.

17. Gussie's mom (GA)

Haha as wonky as my sleep schedule is now I'm sure that will work!!:):bighug:

18. Tuxedo Mom

Sounds like the perfect place with the perfect company. It will do you a world of good to be able to regenerate your whole being :bighug:

19. Gussie's mom (GA)

It is! Hope so! AND Gussie is having a smooth cycle with just a teaspoon of LC, no HC or gravy early on, nothing since.
    Fingers crossed we've turned a corner for now.....:bighug:

20. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Turning corners is good.

Love the perseids. Even "heard" one skip across the atmosphere once. Beach, sand, wine, sleeping bag and a fella night. But now I live in a city. We have rain and cloud forecast. Can't complain though. Haven't had much rain for months. Very unusual. Total fire ban and voluntary water restrictions in place. I've been hauling water from the river to water plants. Ugh.

Glad the drive is not long. I know you will be wanting to test all night as per, but please get some sleep before driving.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  21. Gussie's mom (GA)

Sounds like the perfect way to see them!! Wow, it would be so incredible to hear one do that!! Wow, I didn't know the drought stretched all the way to you! I don't remember what rain feels like..its been so long since we really had any here..just brown dusty city here..I will make a wish on the meteors for safe Kittez here on FDMB! And all the beans and civvies! I know my moms star will streak by!
    I promise I will get sleep before the drive. :bighug: Gotta stay safe to get back to get Gus off the juice using the protocol! :bighug::bighug:
    Thank you so much! Thank you too for staying up into the wee hours to keep me company!:bighug:

22. Gussie's mom (GA)

Looks like a dose he liked today-whew!
    +10 137
    Just got off the phone with the pet sitter. Told her we were still ironing out the final details of his dose protocol for while I am gone but will let her know tomorrow before I leave.
    Will need to ask for help this evening re what to give tonite as we talked several options but how he did today needed to be factored in to the decision! Thank you all, today feels like a gift! :bighug::bighug:

23. Tuxedo Mom

Nice to see Gus doing a nice easy curve today. I am going to weigh in with some of my thoughts:

1. You could give Gus 1.0 units again tonight. That should be showing a more accurate example of what he would do at 1.0 units with most of the depot effect having worn off.
    2. If Gus plays nice on the 1.0 dose overnight then you could use that as your vacation dose with a no shoot of 200 or a reduced dose of 0.50 units if he is under 200
    3. If Gus dives again on the 1.0 units then you could set a no shot of 200 and dose of 0.50 if over 200

Just throwing it out there for discussion

24. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I agree with trying 1.0 units tonight, even though it'll still be influenced by the larger depot and probably give you lower numbers than Gus will see on this dose while you are gone. The depot lasts 4-6 cycles. 6 cycles ago you were giving 2.5 units and 4 cycles ago was still 2.0 units.

25. Gussie's mom (GA)

Ok, I hesitate to give him 1 units while I am away if the depot will be in play at all given his past history of diving so hard and fast?

26. Gussie's mom (GA)

Hi pulling this post into the discussion too!

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  27. Tuxedo Mom

If you feel you are able to stay up...in case Gus decides to dive...doing 1.0 unit tonight will give a better show of how he is going to react to it. At this point you should be clearing most of the carry over effect of the higher doses from the last few days. If he still is diving too much on 1.0 unit then you can use 0.50 unit as you basic vacation shot and assign no shot limits for that dose

28. Gussie's mom (GA)

I'm totally ok with the 1 unit again tonight, it's the dose while I'm away I'm nervous about! . I think setting the dose/no dose limits will be important for the pet sitter.

29. Gussie's mom (GA)

I'm a little more comfortable with this option

Tuxedo Mom and tiffmaxee like this.
  30. Wendy&Neko

The 2.5U depot will be gone by the time you leave. Paws crossed for a blue surf tonight. :bighug:

31. Gussie's mom (GA)

So I would be shooting 1 unit tonite, then tomorrow would I shoot before I leave? We've talked about a lot of things so I'm a bit confused.
    What I think I am hearing is
    Shoot 1 unit tonight. If he has a nice curve without diving like today then his vacation dose should be safe at .5 units so long as we have a don't shoot below and a do shoot above number? I think it's the do shoot above part that confuses me. Will they be shooting regularly or only if it's above say 200? I'm confused sorry.

32. Tuxedo Mom

At this point if you are comfortable and able to do some monitoring tonight,,,without leaving yourself over-tired for the drive in the morning...you could shoot 1.0 unit tonight. If Gus settles in nicely with that you could use that as your vacation dose, with a caveat of only using this does if above 200 and shooting 0.50 units if under 200. In the end this is only my suggestion and you need to be comfortable with whatever decision you make. :bighug: :bighug:

ETA Sorry I am messing up. I meant to say to use a vacation dose of 0.50 unless under 200 and then a no shoot....so sorry for confusing the issues.

33. tiffmaxee

If your no shoot number is 200 and you bring him down to .5 and he doesn't dive tonight I would shoot .5 tomorrow morning. Is your friend going to feed him once between each cycle say at +3-5? I'm hearing others would go with 1.0 in the morning though and as his dose.

34. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Let's see how tonight's cycle pans out

If he surfs safely, then I'd say set the vacation dose for .5 if over 200, skip if under so you won't worry too much to ruin your vacation

35. Gussie's mom (GA)

Ok am I shooting 1 unit tonight?

36. Gussie's mom (GA)

No unfortunately he may not have anybody inbetween

37. Gussie's mom (GA)

I'm not really comfortable having 1 unit as his dose..
    ETA while I am away

38. tiffmaxee

We have a saying around here that you hold the syringe and need to be comfortable with the dose. If he's higher when you get back you can take him right back up. Going on vacation and worrying is not a vacation.

39. Gussie's mom (GA)

Elise to clarify, is your suggestion shooting the 1 and if he doesn't dive, me shoot the .5 in the morning? Sorry I'm so incapable of thinking right now..

40. Gussie's mom (GA)

I like that saying! BUT i also know I've had really good guidance here!:bighug:
    I just need to be sure I understand the options I'm looking at!:):bighug:

41. Gussie's mom (GA)

Here's what I think the consensus so far is, please correct me if I've missed something!
    1) I shoot the 1 unit he did well on.
    2) if he does well I tonite on the 1 unit, I reduce his vacation dose to .5 units and give it in the morning before I go
    3) I tell the pet sitter to shoot 1 unit each cycle unless he has a preshot of 200 or lower
    Here's the part I'm not sure I've got
    If his numbers are over I tell them to shoot 1 unit?
    I know I'm ok with 1-3!;)

42. Gussie's mom (GA)

No problem, rereading thru everything again I think we are really all on the same page.

43. Chris & China (GA)

I'd go with

1. shoot the 1 unit tonight and let's see how he does
    2. as long as tonight goes well, plan on shooting .5 in the morning
    3. have the sitter shoot .5 if over 200, and skip if under so you don't worry

Hopefully we'll all have a consensus before morning

44. Gussie's mom (GA)

So here's my plan providing ( anti jinx:woot:!) Gus plays along tonight
    I shoot 1 unit again.
    Post how he's doing.
    If he's good I shoot .5 units in the morning and set that as the pet sitter dose. And we figure out the best no shoot number.
    Then we come home and follow the protocol and get him OTJ!
    Sound right?

45. Gussie's mom (GA)

That sounds good too!

46. Gussie's mom (GA)

I'm going to feed him and give him the consensus 1 unit! Will get a +1 in.
    Thank you

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  47. tiffmaxee

Show us a nice blue surf Gussie.

48. Gussie's mom (GA)

I've passed on the info!:)

49. Gussie's mom (GA)

Just FYI, and of all times to screw up, I gave him his food and while he was eating I realized I was so busy posting/reading to be sure I did the right thing that I had not taken his PMPS before he ate a little bit of his supper.:blackeye::blackeye:
    His PMPS might be a bit lower than what I got when I regained my senses..:blackeye::blackeye::blackeye:

50. Gussie's mom (GA)

I will follow earlier advice and not intervene unless he hits 50
    ANTI JINX!!!

51. Chris & China (GA)

It takes at least 20 minutes or more before the food gets into the bloodstream.....I'm sure it's pretty accurate

OK....Now Hear This Gussie...Deputy China, while always ready to lend a hand and keep all you kitties safe, does NOT want to have to come pull you out of the deep end again tonight!!

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  52. Gussie's mom (GA)

Haha so relieved to hear that! Thanks!
    Gussie had better listen to a Deputy China! She needs a break to enjoy her surf without having to rush to the rescue! Pretty numbers she had today:bighug::bighug:

53. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I am reliving my pre vacation jitters !!!
    I hope you can relax and have a good time.
    My sitter text me the pre shot and any other tests she got so we were in good communication. Dre was heading up the mountain so I had her increase .25
    I left a few syringes marked with higher and lower dose. I used bright orange for the fake insulin in the same syringes.
    :bighug::bighug:

54. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Wow, you and Gussie have certainly had quite a day! For whatever my two-cents' is worth - I will always err on the side of caution! I know the idea is to get our kitties into remission or as close as we can to it, but in terms of safety, better a day or two high than even a moment too low, especially without Mama Bean there to intervene! :bighug:

55. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Leslie
    It sounds like you have a great plan - I really hope you have a great time and can relax. it does make a world of difference to get away for a few days (I know the timing is bad.....but)

56. Wendy&Neko

Leslie, what range of numbers do you want Gussie to be in while you are gone? I don't think anyone has asked you that question yet.

57. Gussie's mom (GA)

Safe, away from the Sharks! Blue would be fine, 100-200. At this point tho I just want him in a range where I know he won't dive below 50 as nobody will be here yo stop something like that nor even to catch that it's happening. That terrifies me because when he dives he does it with gusto.
    ETA: my main desire is to keep him out of the < 50 numbers. If that means bumping to the 200s for a couple of days I can live with that a lot easier than an all alone hypo episode. Ideally? High green to high blue would be ideal. But I know that's probably not an option!
    Thank you for asking me..

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    Reason for edit: add
  58. Gussie's mom (GA)

We think alike!:)

Squalliesmom likes this.
  59. Gussie's mom (GA)

:bighug: That is a good idea! I will have her text or call each visit to give me his pre test numbers.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  60. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

There's very very few of our people on tonight. I know, cuz I could use a bit of help , too. You can check who is on, by going to Forums, and in the upper right hand corner, it lists us. Tonight, that is a very small number. But there's still a lot of people with questions and fears. I know how you feel, but I think you're getting pretty good at this. Shooting the 1 was what you figured, and you were right.

I'm trying to keep TiTi in green tonight without her hypo-ing, or bouncing, and I really would like to get to sleep by nadir, my 1:30am. I'd love some reassurance, I'm pretty sure I know what to do. If I get into deep trouble there's always someone who can respond to a 911. However, I think I'll be fine. I'd bet on you being fine, as well. Have a good vacation, sleep a lot. lol.

61. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you so much for taking the time to write given you are having a hard time tonight too:bighug:. I'll go over to your thread and see if there's anything I can offer, if nothing else I'll give you moral support! :bighug:

62. tiffmaxee

What are you concerned about? He's on the move but not by a lot.

63. Squalliesmom

I'll be around for a while tonight, off and on. I'll check back here from time to time and see how everybody is doing. :) (I don't think my name shows up in the list of who's currently on the forum)

64. Gussie's mom (GA)

Fantastic! Thank you so much! Looking forward to your keeping eyes on us! :bighug::bighug::cat:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  65. Chris & China (GA)

Hey...I found a new toy for you....Instead of the Sonic Boom Alarm, you could get one of THESE and you and Gussie could chase it around the house!!

66. Gussie's mom (GA)

I think she replied to a post from this morning, when you and I were trying to figure out a good am shot. So far so good tonite! I'll take slow moving any nite or day! Sorry about the confusion!

67. Gussie's mom (GA)

Oh man scaring the cats again laughing out loud! Hey it comes in Colors too!!!:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

68. Chris & China (GA)

I think it's brilliant!! You get 1 "snooze" and then it hops off the table and goes screaming throughout the house!!

Who knew they had such creative alarm clocks?

Must have been invented by a sugarcat mom or dad

69. Gussie's mom (GA)

Sounds like just the thing we all need! :woot:

70. Gussie's mom (GA)

I can see it now zombies chasing a screaming escaping robot!:):woot:

71. Squalliesmom

No problem. :bighug:

72. tiffmaxee

73. Squalliesmom

Let me try this again, lol.

That is TOO funny! But I would probably end up smashing it or hurling it out the window, lol!

74. Gussie's mom (GA)

Back at ya!:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::)

75. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gus is still working that dose at a much less crazy rate..:)AntiJinx:woot:!

76. Chris & China (GA)

Oh look who might actually get to go to bed!!!!

That's much better tonight!!!

77. Gussie's mom (GA)

Looking like a drained depot?!:) All the better for a safe pet sitting experience I take it!:)

78. tiffmaxee

Yep. I think you will get your blue surf.

79. Gussie's mom (GA)

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::):bighug::bighug::bighug::):bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    You do know my boy!:)

80. Wendy&Neko

This dose is looking like a good one. I hope you get some good sleep tonight Leslie. Safe travels tomorrow.

81. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you so much!! So appreciate all the help getting to here! :bighug:

82. Chris & China (GA)

Have a peaceful and restful sleep!!....and I hope your head is already on the pillow!!

Take advantage of this opportunity!!

83. Squalliesmom

Hope you have a great vacation! Do try to relax and enjoy yourself! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

84. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Enjoy the stars.

85. Gussie's mom (GA)

You know me, won't sleep till I see that blue and can fill in that spreadsheet square! :woot:
    I will be back here in the morning making sure I am on the right track for dosing and what to tell the pet sitter. I think I know what is safe but want to double check in case he throws some Sort of a curve! ( anti jinx for sure)
    Thank you all so much!!:bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  86. Lbwise

Lbwise Member

Love Love Joshua Tree.. have a great trip. Glad you figured out a safe dose. Enjoy some relaxation! Sounds like you have some good support while traveling with vet tech coming to home.. and at least someone will be there 2x day. I love to travel and have no idea right now how that will happen with LB and his current situation.. so this was a very helpful thread! I stress about his numbers all the time... and there he sits with his cat nap bag oblivious.. hopefully that will be Gus.. just chilling as well while you are gone!

87. Kako & Tux

Kako & Tux Well-Known Member

Leslie, enjoy your trip! Once you leave home, don't worry, and just enjoy! :bighug:

88. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you! It is a magical place! Now I just have to manage to stay awake to see the stars! :woot:You made me laugh with your description of LB being oblivious! Gus us the same, snoozing away while I'm going frantic! We should take a lesson from them!:) I'm really glad this thread was helpful. He is a fast diving cat once his numbers snapped into place and I would never have been able to get a safe dose for while I am away without the folks here looking at /knowing his history and helping nail it down..I think thru it all I had to return my patience pants award but they bore with me!;)
    Thanks again for the well wishes! Fingers crossed!:bighug:

89. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you so much!:bighug:

90. Gussie's mom (GA)

Will blow the GA Kittez ones a kiss:bighug::bighug:

91. Gussie's mom (GA)

Will
    listen to see if I can hear one too!:bighug::)

92. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thanks all! Gussie has landed on a lounge chair at the beach, I get to fill in a blue square, alls well in my world! Thank you all for keeping me sane and finding a safe vacation dose for Gussie! Will be back in the am to confirm the safest plan now that we've seen him on this dose and the depot isn't in full play!
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Gratefully,
    Les

93. Squalliesmom

Sleep well, you deserve a good night's rest! :bighug:

94. Gussie's mom (GA)

You too! Thank you!:bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  95. Tuxedo Mom

Leslie

Just checking in to see how Gus fared last night. Looking good!! [​IMG]

Hopefully you got a decent sleep so that you are well refreshed before you leave for your trip. I will check back in and see how the morning is going, but with all the help you have gotten from all these wonderful people your vacation dose should work out fine and you can have a wonderful worry-free time.

Wishing you a wonderful vacation with lots of good times and relaxation.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

96. carfurby (GA)

It looks like Gus had a nice night. I hope you have a safe trip and enjoy the stars.

97. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, Leslie have a safe, fun filled trip. Gus will be waiting when you get back!! Enjoy the skies :bighug::bighug:

98. Gussie's mom (GA)

Hi thanks his AMPS is 165 this morning. Is it looking like .5 and me shooting this morning is still the plan? And what directions dome leave for the pet sitter?

99. Tuxedo Mom

That was what the general consensus was yesterday...to use 0.50 as a vacation dose and set a no shoot of 200. Let's see if anyone has any other thoughts on this before you shoot.

100. Gussie's mom (GA)

Ok posted a new thread for today asking. I need to shoot soon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.