? 9/1 Hershel AMPS 140 +5 113 dosing question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amy and Hershel, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Amy and Hershel

Amy and Hershel Member

Previous post: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...three-years-in-remission.233236/#post-2620541

Can someone please look at my spreadsheet and let me know if 0.25 is a good dose for Hershel? He was OTJ for almost three years and a recent bout of pancreatitis knocked him out of remission. He was acting a bit sluggish this afternoon so I tested him at +5 and he was at 140. It's also incredibly hot, and now that I'm watching him like a hawk it's easy to mistake regular lazy cat behaviour for a warning sign that something is wrong. His appetite is good and he's showing no other symptoms.

I'm considering getting a human meter when my AT strips run out but for now it's AlphaTrak only and I'm nervous following the protocols that were designed for human meters. Also it's hard enough measuring 0.25 units and I'm not always sure I'm getting much into him, so I can barely imagine reducing to 0.1 units (I use 31G 6mm needles with 1/2 unit markings) but am hoping to get him back into remission. I'm curious to see how he would do without insulin but perhaps it's too soon. His numbers have been very good but are still on the high end of normal.

Just looking for some reassurance and advice - anything helps!

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

With SLGS, you hold a dose if you are getting nadirs from 90 to 149, which it looks like 0.25 units is currently giving you.

Don't forget those before bed time spot check tests too. Many cats go lower at night, and it's those lows that tell us when we need to change the dose.

Amy and Hershel likes this.
  3. Amy and Hershel

Amy and Hershel Member

He dropped below 90 again today - keeping in mind that I use an AlphaTrak meter so it would probably be even lower on a human meter, do you think its time for an OTJ trial?

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Maybe it's time to practice 0.1 units. We want remission to hold this time. The longer you can safely support him with a bit of insulin, the better.

Amy and Hershel likes this.
  5. Amy and Hershel

Amy and Hershel Member

I'm definitely up for trying that, I suspect my 0.25 unit doses have sometimes been closer to 0.1 anyway - it is SO hard to tell on these syringes.