9/12 Alice AMPS 240 +4 228 +8.5 278 +11 290 PMPS 355 +2.4 239 +4.5 187 - peeing blood, ER vet

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AliceMeowliss (GA), Sep 12, 2020.

1. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...mps-283-3-287-7-25-291-pmps-404-4-301.235121/

I’m exhausted so much lately. Thought I’d start her new thread for the day (since I am still up!) even though her schedule is way late and I’m still working the time back to something decent. She’s still on her PM cycle. 4 hours to go. But if the thread is started it’ll be easier on me to update when all I’ve had is a 3-4 hour nap. :)

My ginger boys are being snuggly and adorable. Grooming then napping. They are not related but they are bonded just like Alice and her brother were. It’s beautiful to me, so here are photos. One of them is purring in his sleep.
    EFC4C6C4-CA1C-484D-A13C-859F71920791.jpeg A5E532CB-E386-49E5-8337-35FB014D3E6B.jpeg

I hope everyone is having the best day possible for their circumstances. Light and love, back in a few hours. Xo

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

How adorable. Thanks for sharing. I hope Alice has a good day today and continues to be happy. She's lucky to have you. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Cute kitties!

It's looking like Alice may need a dose increase. When you go get to AMPS, please remember to update your subject line for today.

4. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I meant to ask about that. Is she ready? I really want to. She hit a yellow tonight but I didn’t feed for at least two hours, maybe three, at that point.
    Thank you for the input. I was going to move her shot up thirty minutes instead of increasing maybe, but I could increase and inch it up by 10 or 15 min instead? Hmm.

5. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I made a video so maybe someone could listen to the crunchy sounds her teeth make when she eats solid bites of her pate. If she licks the soupy food it doesn’t not do that because then she doesn’t not chew. Also noticed her gums are tacky a bit. Dehydration sign, right? Her scruff got fluids last night so that was not a helpful indicator of hydration. Her scruff is hydrated even if she isn’t. :p

So, anyway, this is the sound her teeth make.

I know she needs a dental. I’ve been looking at her receded gums, and the teeth look dirty. She’s actually never had one. With all her issues what will it take so she can handle anesthesia? I don’t want her to have to lose all her teeth so I wonder if the vet can do more besides just extracting the bad ones, if there are a lot?

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Regarding Emma's teeth, if her medical problems are complex, you might want to check to see if there's a veterinary dentist in your area. This is a link to information on board certified veterinary dentists. Many cats need their teeth cleaned -- just like humans do. If tartar builds up, it can cause inflammation or an infection which can make BG hard to regulate. Any inflammation/infection causes a rise in BG numbers.

You may want to look over the post on dosing methods. You're certainly testing enough to follow Tight Regulation (TR) and given that you've been feeding Alice a low carb, canned food diet your able to choose between TR or Start Low Go Slow (SLGS). With TR, you evaluate the dose after 3 days/6 cycles (unless the nadirs are less than 200 in which case, you hold the dose a bit longer) whereas with SLGS, you evaluate the dose after a week. The point at which you give a dose reduction also differs. You've been at the 0.5u dose since 9/4 so it's fine to increase to 0.75u.

The shift in shot time shouldn't have an impact on the dose. If you were moving the time by more than 30 minutes, the change in shot time might be a consideration. The reason we suggest moving the time by no ore than 30 min. takes the effect of the depot into account -- it was a really good question/observation, though!

7. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AMPS is 240, shot 0.75 @ +11.75, she just had big appetite, I only got an hour or two sleep in... gonna go back and try for more. Will check her around +3.... :)

thebigfuzz likes this.
  8. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Big appetite is good!!!

yes, the colon would look extremely and unusually large. I’m not sure if there are measurements involved in the X-ray analysis.

I have heard that fiber can help many kitties, but more water is needed to ensure they do not get dehydrated. The fiber draws moisture towards it in the stool and tries to keep it there to keep the stool softer. Sounds like you are doing subq with some success? We did that for a time every other day too. About 100ccs.

9. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Subq daily except for one day I think, since the first of the month. My goal is to always try and get up to 100mL if she will allow it, getting 40mL minimum most days.

So essentially it’s the same as the miralax, more fiber, to make things softer she will need those fluids. Thanks, I will talk to my vet about this next time I see her or call her and ramble. :p

thebigfuzz likes this.
  10. thebigfuzz

I’m in Canada, but I think Miralax is a stool softener/laxative. A little different from fiber. Both though, draw water into the stool. Fiber also makes the stool more bulky - which can be good for some cats, but not awesome for others. ECID I guess :rolleyes:

11. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I guess that’s where I’m trying to figure out if it is softening, or softening plus bulk, that will help her be most comfortable. Or could bulk backfire.... I tried pumpkin before for a hit. It kinda helped but they still didn’t seem as soft maybe.

Ahhh I just remembered to make the powdered egg yolk today. :facepalm:

12. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I love this flat yellow run today. It’s not as low as the ideal but it’s stable and that is super awesome!

13. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

It's called Restoralax up here, Tanya.

14. AliceMeowliss (GA)

We were going so well until just after I fed her dinner and she went to the litter box multiple times, passed several small poops then tried again, and again... she is doing it again now for the sixth time? In the span of a few minutes.

one bowel movement had poor color and fecal score and had that only partially digested protein look to it. :( something she got a hold of was not a good protein for her. Maybe she got a hold of some of the boys food, mostly fishy friskies but one flavor in the box is fish and chicken.

....and she is back in the box again. Did not produce bowel movements the last two attempts. Poor baby. What can I do? It could be the antibiotic?? We did her last dose last night though and this is the first time she has had a problem. Sigh. Well the poop that came before and after the really bad one were not the same. I hope this doesn’t cause extra issues though.

now I’m worrying all over again. Sigh.

15. AliceMeowliss (GA)

This went on for about 25 minutes. It’s like she vacated everything in her bowels, days worth. It’s weird. I don’t know what to interpret. But nothing was actual diarrhea. The really funky looking piece I put on gloves and took a look at, it has a piece of the bunny’s Timothy hay in it. I hope it was just the hay irritating her. :(

poor girl. Guess it’s good she got some waste out though. It’s so confusing sometimes with these multiple illnesses. I wish it was “just” diabetes. :( I always worry I’ll miss an emergency because everything is complex.

16. AliceMeowliss (GA)

She has passed little drops of blood maybe but I don’t know if it is urine. Crystal litter makes it hard to tell and the way she was squatting...

then she vomited some of what I had fed her

When is this an ER emergency?

I’m scared what if something is wrong with her kidneys or bowels or both, will she let me give her subq fluids...? Why do they get sick on the weekends :(

17. AliceMeowliss (GA)

She had metoclopramide, can she also have Cerenia?

18. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Dribbling blood/urine. We just finished with a round of Veraflox. UTI?

19. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Okay I put the 911 up. She has been having bowel movements for an hour, one had a little hay in it, then she spent the past thirty minutes dribbling blood instead of urine.
    We finished Veraflox yesterday, her bloodwork 8/31 indicated infection.

should I be taking her to emergency or just monitoring?

20. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

21. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I messaged Chris earlier I think she is busy.

I’m headed to the ER vet, not sure I have any other choice.

THH & Snowcrash (GA) likes this.
  22. AliceMeowliss (GA)

And thanks

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  23. Bandit's Mom

Makes sense. Good luck. Keep us updated.

24. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Hanging outside right now. They’re going to start with a urine. I think they could check that out and maybe admin fluids for me (she’ll be difficult for me to do it) and pump her up with some antibiotic then.

She didn’t even cry on the way here.

Her brother died here, before I could get back to him, and I am always afraid I won’t be with her when she passes.

25. thebigfuzz

26. Bandit's Mom

27. AliceMeowliss (GA)

they are going to run a urine, her bladder is... I think he said, thick or stiff or...? And very little urine in it and mostly blood.
    I’m going to have them do the subq fluids this time for me because they will get more in more easily and I need a little less stress so I can continue care. He said she probably needs cultures done etc.
    going to switch to clavamox since the Veraflox didn’t work.
    follow up with regular vet Monday. That’s a visit a week for three weeks. :banghead:

She looks so healthy today too. So good. And it’s probably good she got so much out of her bowels after being backed up so much. Maybe she ate that piece of hay on purpose.

I hope the infection isn’t in her kidneys. I don’t even know the implications of that.

28. AliceMeowliss (GA)

76E26914-5316-493C-8B7A-A8A353BAE869.jpeg
    here she is in between peeing blood...

Butters & Lyla and Bandit's Mom like this.
  29. AliceMeowliss (GA)

ER vet:

125 mL subq
    Thickening of bladder walls, cystitis
    Switch to clavamox, injection tonight, oral meds tomorrow
    Probably AB resistant to Veraflox by now, she’s had it a number of times

recommended abdominal ultrasound and culture and sensitivity once she is done with this round of clavamox

-can I give Cerenia concomitant with the metoclopramide? Clavamox may increase nausea more

I’m so sleepy. She’s in the high blues, but she ate as soon as I got the food prepped for her when we got home so that isn’t accounted for in her last BGL yet.
    I think I might prop her numbers a little with a drop of syrup “just in case” and take a nap. If I do it now I get in one sleep cycle then I can get in another snack for her before cutoff for fasting and whatnot.

I have never seen her have about ten bowel movements and about 40?? trips to the litter box like that... I got anxious. Thanks for everyone’s support. My head gets cluttered when stressed! :bighug:

Goodnight

30. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

31. thebigfuzz

It can be very distressing to see a constipated cat jump in and out of the litter and try so hard :eek: so glad she went, and went, and went ;) I hope she clears her bladder infection soon!

32. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Can you remind me why you are getting the metoclopramide? It's not an effective nausea med for cats (does work for dogs and humans). If Clavamox will cause nausea, make sure you have a good probiotic on board. But give the AB and probiotic and least 2 hours apart. A better nausea med is ondansetron, though Cerenia should help with that too and you can use Cerenia with ondansetron.
    A longer term of antibiotics than if just in her bowels.

For cystitis (had a civvie with that), plenty of water in his food, and supplements to help the bladder wall like glucosamine (Cosequin). In Canada we can also use Cartrophen injections - you can ask the vet if Adequan would help. Cerenia was also a go to for a cystitis episode.

Sending lots of healing vines for Alice. :bighug:

33. AliceMeowliss (GA)

@Wendy&Neko vet said metoclopramide would help both with motility and nausea. I can switch to some Cerenia, I keep it on hand. I plan to ask again for ondansetron when I talk to the regular vet this week.

one more time can someone link me to an low cost ish probiotic that is decent? (Easier if available on amazon so I can get it quickly and not pay shipping.) Since all I have still is fortiflora and Imuquin.

she is currently getting all her food with water in it. If she chews her teeth make that awful scraping sound. So everything is soup.

she’s in a great mood and looks so good too, but went lightly hypo -47- just a few min ago. I’m so tired I haven’t started today’s post yet. Taking naps until she hits me in the face (every couple hours).

34. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

So sorry about all of this. I've used Proviable DC for Cats and Dogs with Phoebe Squeak and I got it on Amazon. Sending many healing vines your way.

35. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Renew Life is popular, available in a lot of stores, vitamin or grocery here.

36. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

They are so precious

37. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

38. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Whatva cutie I hope every thing gets straightened out for Alice, poor baby
    Please keep us updated. I hope you can get some rest :bighug::cat:

39. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Sending so many healing vines for Alice. And :bighug: for you. Remember to take care of yourself too.
    Your ginger boys are beauties. Those tummies! I wanna snuggle into them. :D