9/12 Newman AMPS 340, shot 2.0, PMPS 331, shot 2.0, 298@ +3.5

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Linda and Newman, Aug 31, 2022.

1. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I've been thinking that this was indicative of a bounce maybe from lower numbers overnight, and that I should just hold the 1.75 unit dose. On second thought I would feel better if you guys could take a look at his SS and let me know what you think. Thanks.
    @Suzanne & Darcy
    @FrostD

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Yes, I do think he bounced...which is a little interesting, because the drop didn't seem that fast, and I'd hazard a guess nadir was close to 90 at the lowest. I would hold this dose, just because we're not sure how low he went last night

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

For some reason I cannot look at your spreadsheet. When I try it will not open up and says Server Not Found.

4. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I have no idea why that may be, and no idea what to suggest. After reading your comment, I opened it as a test to see if it works for me and there is nothing unusual happening. I hope it is only a temporary glitch.

5. Suzanne & Darcy

I fixed it. Something was wrong with my connection to googledocs. I found that I could not see any spreadsheets at all.

Linda and Newman likes this.
  6. Suzanne & Darcy

His body didn't like the 154 from the previous night, did it! I wish he would get used to the blues. In fact, I wish he'd give us some blues during the day. Normally, I'm against different day and nighttime doses (and with a depot insulin you should not do this, of course,) but maybe it's something to think about (long term not suggesting anything for now.) He's being a typical cat and going lower at night. I am glad you held the 1.75 units.

7. Suzanne & Darcy

I see a blue test today :cool:

8. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

He didn't eat very well today and he barfed after eating his early dinner. By the looks of it, I think he may have drunk too much water.

After some time, he came back to eat more, but unfortunately was interrupted by some noisy, loud company. He is on the screened porch watching birds and iguanas, our backyard wildlife, seeming to feel fine.

Hopefully he will eat a bit more to tide him over the two hour hold before his evening dose. Otherwise, I suppose I will stay close to schedule and consider if he is interested in food in deciding the evening dose. Shot him at 7:30 this morning, so I would like to shoot no later than 8:00 tonight.

I wonder if the increased water intake could be related to the bounce we saw. Oh, I think I can answer that. He is a cat!

@Suzanne & Darcy
    @FrostD

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  9. Suzanne & Darcy

Seems like he’s been vomiting a lot lately. And now you say he’s kind of gone off his food… wait and see what kind of number you get for PMPS.

10. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I am not concerned with the vomiting, he has always done that. He came back and ate the half a can of FF that I gave him. That was at 6 PM so we will be behind schedule.

You may not have noticed my note on the SS that could explain the disinterest in food. Both of the cats were getting bored with the FF Classic Chicken Feast after a couple of years of exclusive use, so I have been switching them to FF Classic Beef and Chicken Feast, mixing the two together. Both of them were picking the new flavor out of the mix, so they appeared off their food. Good thing is the two flavors are almost number for number carbs, calories, etc. identical.

11. Suzanne & Darcy

I did see that you were switching food.

Linda and Newman and FrostD like this.
  12. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I think the notes sometimes go unnoticed because they are so far from the numbers columns. On my computer I need to drag the page to get to that side of the SS. I need to get into the habit of starring the reference. I saw that on someone else's SS and thought it a good idea.

13. Suzanne & Darcy

That is a good idea. I’ve been trying to do a better job of checking for notes as well. But some people never write anything.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  14. Suzanne & Darcy

How’s Newman doing? Seems like he does need a touch more insulin, doesn’t it?

15. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Hi Suzanne, thanks for looking in on us.

I think he is feeling good. He is spending more time out and about with us.

I was thinking, since we are just starting to see blue numbers again, I would like to give him a few more days to get used to those blues, let them settle and then consider an increase.

16. Suzanne & Darcy

Good plan. It is great to hear about him spending more time out and about! And someone has to keep an eye on those large reptiles, too! :)

17. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

@FrostD
    If you find a minute, please take a look at Newman's spreadsheet. It seems like every time we get into the blue numbers, he bounces. I was saying I think I should just stay with the 1.75 for at least a few more days hoping that he will get used to those numbers. What do you think?

18. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I would actually increase. I understand the logic, but on the flipside you have glucose toxicity competing with things. You don't want to hold a dose too long, as numbers start to creep up and he gets used to it - which in turn just adds to the vicious bouncing cycle when you do increase next.

19. Suzanne & Darcy

I also think, and did say, that he needs an increase - as I said in my post of yesterday. But I know better than to push you, Linda, and I can never completely understand the anxiety of having the mobility problems that can make it difficult to test - even though I try and that’s part of the reason I didn’t want to be pushy, although I suggested that it looks like he needs more insulin. I think maybe I should leave it to Melissa

20. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh and yes, he is bouncy from blues! You are right. Getting him to spend more time in blue is the best way to overcome that - although some cats never do so there are no guarantees.

21. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Thanks guys, @Suzanne & Darcy, @FrostD. I appreciate the experience that comes with your opinions and advice and really appreciate your willingness to share that advice.

I will plan to increase his dose with tomorrow's AM dose and shoot 2.0 units.

I hope all is well, it seems like a very busy time of the year!

FrostD and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  22. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I actually didn't disagree that an increase was coming, but I was hoping that staying with the current dose for a short time more, would be of some benefit to reduce the amount and number of bounces. I don't mean to be disagreeable.

FrostD likes this.
  23. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Well of course now that we threatened him with an increase he'll do something dramatic :rolleyes:

24. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh no. Linda you are never disagreeable! Don’t even think so. You have all of Newman’s best interest at heart as you should. I have only been concerned that I haven’t always appreciated your situation adequately. But I try to. And I always want to hear Melissa’s take on things. She’s got great insight. As for being a busy time of year. I think so. Melissa is about to get a whole lot busier soon, too. Lol.

FrostD and Linda and Newman like this.
  25. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

This is one time I can say that I hope that you are wrong! LOL

26. Suzanne & Darcy

Good morning, Linda ... well, afternoon almost. I hope you are having a good day so far and Newman is too. I see that he gave you a decent preshot this morning (I mean nothing too low to make things more nerve wracking.)

27. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Hi Suzanne. Your post reminded me to post a note attached to the 345 @ 1.5 which I had also neglected to post this morning.

Sometimes he sleeps so deeply that he risks falling off the edge! And such was the case this morning. He was taking his morning nap right next to my work on the desktop, his back to me. Then his head fell off the edge while his back was against my arm. I nudged him and spoke his name and he didn't react. Oh no, I thought. I moved his head up at which point he looked at me like "what are you doing now?' He stretched out and continued his nap. Nothing else unusual before or after that. And similar incidents have occurred in the past. I think he is just a sound sleeper.

Dramatic effect for Melissa!

FrostD likes this.
  28. Suzanne & Darcy

I'm glad he didn't fall off. Last time, he was kind of suspicious of you for a while. And I just now saw the pink at 1.5! Then the yellow later on. I do that too with my cats sometimes... if they're really sleeping soundly and don't move or even cock an ear to sounds or they just seem too still or in an odd position... I call their name and wake them up (I get worried).

29. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Yes countdown is on! 9 weeks to full term, so who knows if it's actually 6 weeks or 11 weeks lol I'm trying to scale back a little here in terms of "taking on new cats"

I'm glad he didn't drop too low today with the vomiting (and glad he was ok!)

30. Suzanne & Darcy

I don't know what's happening with Newman the last few days.

31. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I don't know what to say as I would have thought the pinks would have disappeared, but isn't it the case that sometimes it can take 3 cycles to clear bounces?

He was feeling better yesterday after sleeping a lot for a couple of days. He was grooming more and initiated play last evening. That has carried over to today, except time he spent under the bed during a thunderstorm.

I guess I just wait and watch, staying with 2 units for a week or so, continue with spot checks while observing his demeanor and behavior, etc.

32. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Hey we'll take tonight's 260!

33. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Since you liked 260, how about 199 @ +3.5?

It seems like a good number to me!

Shelley & Jess and FrostD like this.
  34. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I am always happy to see yellow and blue!

35. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Another day of wacky numbers. Day 5 on 2 units, so I guess I just stay the course? Thoughts?

@Suzanne & Darcy
    @FrostD

And now, he barfed this evening after his PM dose. I think he ate too much. He usually comes back and eats again so I have my fingers crossed.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
  36. Suzanne & Darcy

Looking at his spreadsheet…. I would hold this dose at least two more days. You are doing well! I hope your weekend was a good one.

37. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Thanks for looking in on us. Funny thing is he acts like he feels well and I am grateful for that. He is most active in the evening and as I go to bed. He and Ozzie were chasing play mice around last night like they were kittens all over again.

I hope that your Ginger is doing well. I think of you often and appreciate that with your own sick kitty you still find time to check and advise so many of us.