9/12 Oberon +11 168, AMPS 293, +1 376, +4 380, +7 413, +10 417, PMPS 397, +3 327, +5 298

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lisa & Oberon, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Lisa & Oberon

Lisa & Oberon Well-Known Member

2. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Love seeing those blues from Oberon! You've worked so hard to get him to give up that cotton candy machine. Next stop, the lagoon. :D
    You should be withholding food for the two hours prior to preshots so they aren't food influenced. Was he ravenous?
    I make sure Butters gets a small snack at +9.5 or +10 so she isn't ravenous before shot time and to help her acid tummy, and then I know her pre-shot numbers won't be food influenced. If I need to give her food after the +10, then I delay her next shot time. Yesterday I had to feed her at +10.5 because of a falling number in the 50s, so my shot time was delayed by 30 minutes.
    Have a great day!

3. Lisa & Oberon

Yeah, we might need to adjust his shot times. My husband gets up at 5 (or earlier) during the week, so he gets a +10 check and food. But he sleeps in a bit (6 am!) on the weekend so I need to take that into account. If I shift to 8 am/pm it might work better overall. Just means my last check before bed would be +4, not +5. Or maybe it's time to think about a timed feeder that could give him an early morning meal.

376 at +1... there's that bounce I've been expecting.

LindyNova likes this.
  4. Butters & Lyla

I haven't found a time that's convenient both in the AM and PM. I hope you do. :D Getting a +2 & +4 before bed is good. That should be enough to tell you when you need to set an alarm for. I get a +2.5 usually and that's my before bed test when I adhere to my normal work schedule. So I set an alarm for between +4 & +5, and figure out any other alarms I need based on that test.

Highly recommend getting an autofeeder. I have a catmate with four timed compartments and ice packs. I think in the US, the equivalent is the petsafe. Mine is set to give a last snack usually around +9.5 or so.

Lisa & Oberon likes this.
  5. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

I'm in the US and just got my pet feeder - I got the Cate Mate C500 - It has 5 compartments (1 open and 4 hidden) and ice packs. I ordered right from the manufacturer (link here) - I also ordered 2 extra ice packs in case I wanted to use it for AM and PM (so I'd just have to wash it out and put in new ice packs). I've only had mine a day but happy with it so far.

ETA - I have mine rotate to an empty spot 2 hours before shot time!

6. Lisa & Oberon

Thanks! I'll look into it. I have a similar 2 compartment feeder I got a while ago but never got around to using; it's gathering dust in the basement. I'll dig it out. How well does the Catmate do at keeping wet food fresh? Oberon is a diva and won't eat food that has dried out even a little. Sometimes I have to stir it and add a little bit of water to get him to finish it. But if the covered compartments keep the food from drying out it'll probably be ok.

7. Lisa & Oberon

413 at +7... big bounce. I'm testing the feeder; it's set to open at about 5:30 (2.5 hrs before the evening shot). I let him eat out of one compartment without bothering with the timer, just to see if he would use it. (Puck was scared of it... I think he thought the lid was going to attack him.)

8. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

I've only used mine one night but my kitty Jax sounds like Oberon when it comes to dried out food and he ate the food in the feeder last night. Sounds like Lyla has a similar (or same?) one - maybe she can weigh in @Butters & Lyla? <and sorry I tried to post this earlier but I think there were server issues :)>

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

To keep your food fresh in the feeder, add extra water so it doesn't dry out. Or top with an ice cube if it's extra warm out or it'll be a while until that meal is served.

Don't be surprised if the sound scares Oberon the first few times. But they usually learn quick when it comes to food. :p

10. Butters & Lyla

I always add extra water or an ice cube to the food, too.

Lisa & Oberon and JaxBenji like this.
  11. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Oberon comes back down soon.

12. Lisa & Oberon

Well, that was a partly successful experiment... apparently I can't do math right now, because I set the timer to 1.5 hrs before the shot, not 2.5. And then it opened late, so Oberon snuck some food at about 6:30, half an hour before his shot. Still bouncing, so it's not a big deal. I'll just have to play with the timer more before I rely on it.