? 9/13/20 Mouse: AMPS 72 New Meter, +1 68, +2 65, +3 61 PMPS: 79, +2:45 54, +4 60

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Polgeria, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

Links: New Meter, Previous Lantus

TLDR of new meter post: Just switched to the ReliOn Prime Meter, the variance is kinda freaking me out. I honestly don't know if I should shoot right now or not.

2. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha Member

I have had exactly the same problem switching from Contour Next to OneDrop meter. We’re guessing my Contour was reading much lower. So, Milo was at 68 then 65 this morning using the OneDrop. Based on the number being higher than I am used to with the other meter (it would say he was more like 50 and below) I didn’t give the shot.
    I can’t adjust his schedule anymore as I’m returning to work. I would say don’t shoot if you’re not comfortable. Don’t feed, check again in 20 mins, if you have some wiggle room in your schedule.
    Just my opinion. Good luck. Keep us updated....

jt and trouble (GA) and Polgeria like this.
  3. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I was tied up...did you shoot?

Polgeria and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  5. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

I have not yet, But I couldn't hold off on feeding her.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  6. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

The other cats were in a frenzy

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  7. Sue and Luci

That's a perfect number to shoot...if you're going to be around to monitor.

Try not to worry about meter comparisons...those are great numbers!

8. Sue and Luci

From what I'm seeing on that SS, Mouse is entering the 'getting there/feeling better' phase! Beautiful low numbers...

So now, you're going to have to deal with shooting lower numbers. Shoot low to stay low.

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...y-to-shoot-handle-lower-pre-shot-numbers.147/

Scroll down to this part:
    How to Deal with Low Preshot Numbers(the following guidelines apply to those following the Tight Regulation Protocol only):

jt and trouble (GA) and Polgeria like this.
  9. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

ack...lol, ok. She's been having weird numbers for the last 24hrs. It's about to become a wild ride, isn't it?

10. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Thanks Sue. I didn’t mean to give incorrect advice which is why I tagged some of you. I personally don’t like to shoot if I’m worried until I get a more senior member opinion.

11. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

You both gave sound advice :) Shot's on board. If I wasn't a stay at home cat mom, I wouldn't have shot. Karo Syrup and Gravy loaded FF next to me while she plays.

Coffee's brewing to keep me awake to monitor her. :coffee::coffee::coffee: Here's a few cups for all of you. I'll be over here totally NOT freaking out :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

12. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Congrats on shooting your lowest number yet! Mouse is doing amazing.:D
    Don't get too caught up in differences between the meters. Keep your other meter and strips as a backup. The numbers won't be the same. I think many of us have driven ourselves a little nuts trying to compare. The last time I switched meters, I tested myself a few times to make sure it wasn't doing anything crazy and then just went with it.

13. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

I'm out of the Accu-chek now. Those were freebies from my father until I could get the Reli-on strips in bulk.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  14. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

She's currently hyper and playing. I'm going to grab a quick hour nap and will update you and +2

15. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Good job shooting. It's best to just go with the numbers you see on the meter you are using and not compare to other meters.

Sue and Luci and Polgeria like this.
  16. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

She's still doing good I've been napping between test s tbh. It looks like she had been too, but she's alert right now, and annoyed at me for waking her up. I'm getting kitty death stares from her condo. Her nadir should be hitting at +4 and then we should be outta the danger zone.

17. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

Made it through the nadir with safe numbers :) still haven't dipped below 50. She's teasing me with low numbers, but not low enough to make a dose change.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  18. Sue and Luci

Beautiful numbers today!

Polgeria likes this.
  19. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

Update: +2:45 going pretty dang low. I'm calmly on edge here.

So I've read and re-read the Hypo procedures:
    If she dips below the 50 mark, do I auto give the HC food, or do I wait for signs of hypo? Right now, she just seems lazy, but she's eating a snack and alert. She is uninterested in her favorite toy though.

20. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

If he drops below 50 you can feed a little bit of HC food to see if he comes back up. You don't want to feed too much or his numbers will jump up and if you need to feed him more later he may not want to eat. The idea is to keep him surfing in higher green numbers.

21. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Sorry no one was around to help you last night. This sticky on how to handle low numbers explains. Here is the key info for dipping below 50:

If your cat is testing in low numbers and you are not getting a quick response to your post, there are several things you need to do. (Low numbers are under 50mg/dL or 2.8 mmol/L.)

• Depending on how carbohydrate sensitive your cat is, feed approximately a teaspoon or less of gravy from high carb food or high carb food only. (If you have a cat with GI issues, using a couple of drops of syrup plus low carb food is an alternative.)
    • Test again in 15 – 20 min. Depending on the numbers, give more HC food.
    • Repeat the above steps every 15 – 20 min. until your cat tests in the 50 mg/dL (2.8 mmol/L) or above range for 2 consecutive tests. Continue to feed in small amounts to keep numbers in a safe range.
    • Test in 30 - 40 min. and repeat the test and feed process until there are 2 consecutive tests where numbers are stable or rising.
    • Test in an hour and follow the same steps.
    And here is a guideline for dealing with numbers between 50-70:
    50-70 BG
    Give 1-2 tsp LC, retest 20-30 minutes
    If dropping, little more LC and repeat process
    If holding, no more food but retest in 30 min
    If rising, no more food and take a "poke break" (check 1 hr if 70 or over)
    Early in the cycle, you might want to use MC or HC.

You don't want to wait until Mouse drops below 50 to intervene with food. But if Mouse does drop below 50 then you want to immediately intervene.

Polgeria, thebigfuzz and Sue and Luci like this.
  22. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

Thanks :) she did good though, and brought her numbers up herself.

I kept the stickies open, but like to have the people around to highlight the important stuff that I obviously missed.

I swear I've read that document a million times and never saw that part.