9-13 Olive doing ok/food transition going well

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by OlivesMom, Sep 13, 2020.

1. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

2. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

Actually got more sleep in the last 24 hours than I have in weeks. Hubby had me lay back down after her AM injection knowing that's the window of rest for me. Also, feeling confident by the past to wait until +3 to test with BG numbers so high at pre shot. I'm learning her.;) With today we've increased her food ratio a little more. Now she's getting 2 1/2 tsp of Raw to every 2 tsp of DM. Will continue this ratio and revisit tomorrow. So far this slower transition appears most effective. Will continue her on the pepcid for the time being. I don't want to rock the boat while she's transitioning and will continue to offer food frequently. Once she's had a solid of week of not throwing up and as her gets more and more DM to Raw ratio, then I'll begin slowly making her wait longer and longer between meals, hoping to increase the amount she eats at any given time from the 2tsp she's pretty consistent on now to hopeful 3-4.

Last night went well. I could see she was going down the low road and brought her back up with BG never dropping below 70 in the end. I'm discovering she bounces fairly high by the AMPS after this happens. Only on days she's thrown up do we have problems with her never rising high enough to safely give the injection and that's when we have to skip. I love data!

With BG this high this morning I won't have to test so often so will go spend some time with hubby. Will continue to update throughout the day.

Critter Mom and JaxBenji like this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

A couple comments about last night. First, we generally say you don't need to give high carb food unless under 50. I would sometimes at night if Neko was in the 50's or 60's and needed to sleep at night. Not sure Olive needed it iat +5. Next, once she's up and stable with that first bit of high carb food, you only need to give LC if she's over 80. You kept giving honey (usually 1 drop is enough) and gravy. The extra carbs and carbs later in the cycle like you did will shorten duration and cause even higher preshots. Our goal at this point is to start getting Olive used to higher greens and lower blues, so she doesn't bounce as much. You want to encourage those healing numbers, and a little bit of low carb food given when they first hit those safe lower numbers will help encourage that surf.

JaxBenji likes this.
  4. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

Even from day one Olive goes from 90 to 50 in a a 30 minute span if she's at the +3 to +5 range so knowing this is why I'm trying to prevent her from hitting 50.
    Okay, so I'll eliminate the gravy at these numbers as it's the only true HC she has at this point.
    I only gave honey one time at the beginning then I stopped and allowed the numbers to rise on their own. I did give 3 little drops, so I can try just 1 drop next time and see what happens.
    Yep, that's what happened. I know for next time, thanks! A lot of valuable info.
    LC for us is straight Raw as it's 0.04% but she's getting a mix of raw and DM until we can transition her totally over to the DM. So the Gravy is the HC which she doesn't get as a rule, so the DM would be what I guess you'd consider the MC food? So my question is if I'm to give LC food as soon as she hits those safer lower numbers, does that mean I have to give her straight raw? or the mix of DM and Raw?

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

DM wet (if not the savory selects) is LC. I would try LC as the DM/raw mix or whatever is her LC normal now.

6. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

Ok, perfect. Thank you. A lot of really great info today and I appreciate it. :)

Critter Mom likes this.