? 9/14 Charlie AMPS 385, +2 279, +4 225, +7 270, +9 358 - Worried about Charlie

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sarah Gamm, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

Previous thread
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/sept-11-charlie-dosing-increase.235105/

I increased Charlie's does to 2.25 yesterday.

AMPS was 21.4
    +2.5 15.5
    +4.5 12.5
    +6.75 15
    +9 19.9

Today he has seemed very out of it. Very tired. Lifting his head when I call him, but sometimes just opening his eyes. Laying down when he eats, but he's still eating and drinking (and using the litter)

Is it normal to have a rough day after a small increase?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’m sorry Charlie doesn’t seem to feel well. I don’t think the increase is making him feel bad. Has he ever had pancreatitis? Do you think he might be in pain? Are you feeding exclusively dry food? I’m wondering if he’s dehydrated? How old is he?

Marj & Djoko and Butters & Lyla like this.
  3. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Have you been testing for ketones, especially given that Charlie's numbers are high right now?

Is he still grooming himself? Peeing and pooping okay?
    Any other health conditions besides the diabetes? Normally health conditions would be placed in your signature, but you're new so I'm not sure if you know to do this.

A couple of housekeeping items as well:
    The board uses US numbers, so try to get into the habit of using those in your posts instead.
    When you get a chance, can you please add your AMPS and some of Charlie's other BG numbers to your thread title? So it should look like this:

"? 9/14 Charlie AMPS 385, +2 279, +4 225, +7 270, +9 358 - Worried about Charlie"

You can do a daily thread for him following the title format with his name and questions, and update your thread title with his numbers, that way people will get to know him. :)

Sue and Luci and tiffmaxee like this.
  4. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

He' s exclusively on dry food. I think the Dr Elsey's is making him constipated. I am going to back off it and go back to Hill's M/D. He will not east wet food.

He's 11. Drinking lots of water.

5. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

His behavior is not indicative of a hypoglycemic episode. Does he have other medical issues?

Thank you @Butters & Lyla for the request on the title - I was typing the same thing...

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  6. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

The vet tested him for ketones Sept 1 when he was in and he had none.

He is still grooming himself and using the litter. I think he's constipated from Dr. Elsey's so I'm going to back off on that

7. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

He had crystals twice in the past, but nothing else

8. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

It sounds like you are chalking up the tiredness to constipation.

That said, you should be testing for ketones regularly, especially as Charlie has been in higher numbers for a while. It is a good habit to get into, at least weekly, more than that when stuck in high numbers. I recommend you get some ketostix, which you can use to check for ketones in his urine, or a blood ketone meter, which you'd use in the same way as your blood glucose meter. Some blood glucose meter brands also have ketone strips that can be used with them.

Here is the info page on ketones and testing. in case you haven't seen it yet.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I know he would t eat wet food in the last but that can be changed. Max preferred dry before pancreatitis but that was because he was on Hills CD after he blocked. He decided wet was t so bad when I tried other foods. Experiment buying a few different cans of various lower carb foods. Maybe ease in by offering some Gerbers all meat baby food. Most cats love it. Many call fancy feast kitty crack. Max only liked the canned that was sliced but he learned to like the ff pates. Many the bg is high they pee a lot and dehydration can cause constipation.

Butters & Lyla likes this.