9/14 Maxi AMPS 258/+4:204/+6:119/PMPS 129/+4:115/+6:58/+7:73/+8:85/+10:83

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by bambinaki, Sep 14, 2020.

1. bambinaki

bambinaki Well-Known Member

Last thread: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-220-6-91-7-97-8-5-101-pmps-155-4-151.235224/

Maxi went to the vet today for a blood test to check on how his new binder is doing for him.

Until 2 weeks ago, he had been taking Epakitin for the phosphorus issue of kidney disease.

His blood test 2 weeks ago showed that his phosphorus had increased, and his calcium did, too, so I switched him to aluminum hydroxide 2 weeks ago because the Epakitin can increase calcium (of which too much can be bad), and because the Epakitin did not keep his phosphorus down enough.

His test today showed that his phosphorus went from 7.2 (2 weeks ago) to 6.7, and his calcium went from 11 (2 weeks ago) to 10.1, which suggests that the switch was beneficial.

I spoke with the vet about treating pain. She suggested gabapentin since it has fewer negative effects than buprenorphine. She suggested trying it when I think he's having a bad day to see if I can notice if it makes him better. I'm getting it in tuna-flavored liquid.

I asked her about re-starting Maxi on cabergoline to reduce the tissue growth in his throat. She remembered that I thought it wreaked havoc with his tummy and suggested that she thought that could be true. She said it wasn't out of the question that it could cause pancreatitis. Even though it seems far-fetched that cabergoline could cause pancreatitis, I'm still pretty reluctant to give it to Maxi.

Your thoughts on this would be welcome.

Today's lab results have been added to his spreadsheet.

The little angel always stays close:

upload_2020-9-14_13-57-35.png

upload_2020-9-14_13-59-27.png

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

How adorable. Glad the new binder is helping.

bambinaki likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

:You are using the best binder for cats now. It can cause constipation but I've been able to use it by adding a teaspoon of pumpkin to food or miralax. Great that the AH is starting to work.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I am glad the new binder is working better. He's still a bit high in phosphorus, but going in the right direction.:)

What works for a cat in terms of pain meds is a bit ECID. Gabapentin did nothing for Neko but make her sleepy. I've heard they get over that, but after a few week trial, I gave up. Buprenorphine worked better for her. Other cats do well on gaba, some take both.

The tummy issues associated with cabergoline are supposed to happen in the early days. I think it was 4 weeks after you tried it that he had his pancreatitis episode? Given what I saw with Neko and the acro symptoms, I wanted to do whatever I could to prevent them and improve her quality of life. But you have to decide if you want to try it again. Have you been following Moe on cabergoline? Here is his SS. Week 14 on cabergoline and his dose is slowly moving down.

5. bambinaki

Thank you.
    My guys don't like pumpkin. Do you give Miralax daily? How much?

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

It’s use to get results. My vet had me start with 1/4 t once a day. Then twice a day. It takes a few days to start working. Have you gone to felineconstipation.org ? Pat has other things to try as well that are natural and might help, other forms of fiber.

7. bambinaki

Thank you, Wendy.

Yes, I wonder about how effective gabapentin is for regular, not nerve, pain. But since the vet said buprenorphine can cause consitpation, she suggested trying what has fewer side effects. But if gabapentin doesn't really kill pain...?

Did you do anything to prevent constipation?

When I asked about Maxi having been on cabergoline for a month, I think it was the pharmacist who told me that it's possible that Maxi was able to tolerate the cabergoline up to a point, and then past that point it became intolerable.

I want to do everything possible for Maxi, but I'm scared of causing him to become sick again because he was so very sick and very miserable.
    I'm still thinking...

I don't know if Moe's caregiver is one I've spoken with about cabergoline. It seems the insulin is finally bringing Maxi's glucose down. What I want is to stop the tissue growth in Maxi's throat. Did/Does Moe have that problem?

8. bambinaki

I have done some reading there, yes. I guess I have to do more. Ugh, more research. I'm exhausted.

Thank you! :)

9. Wendy&Neko

My crew liked pumpkin, as well as baby food squash. Worst case, a little Restoralax (Miralax in the US). The primary thing that helped was diet, raw food with plenty of water added. Raw makes thinner poops cause less waste, easier to pass.

You will have to try gabapentin and see if it works, it does for some cats. ECID. Acupuncture was another good pain relief for Neko.

10. bambinaki

Exactly what food did you feed?

11. Wendy&Neko

For the first couple years, I fed various raw proteins from Red Dog/Blue Kat. These are only available in Canada, made near me and I knew the purchasing manager so knew they were good ingredients. When Neko was diagnosed with CKD, I transitioned her (and the civvie) so I no longer fed the RDBK proteins with ground bone (several were still low phosphorus and I fed them), and added in some raw I made myself. First with the TC Feline premix - they have one mix for CKD kitties, then later to FoodFurLife's EZComplete. For variety (and laziness on my part), they occasionally got other premanufactured raw. Primal used to make a low P Quail for kitties - don't any longer, and Natures Variety Chicken raw.

12. bambinaki

Thank you!