9/16 Naomi AMPS 159 +7 136

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Yanna, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Yanna

Yanna Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/9-10-naomi-pmps-262-6-195.235031/#post-2635349

Hi everyone!

Naomi is not doing well.
    I feel like I'm losing her. Still not eating. I forcefeed her. She's so weak and miserable. Her back legs have been weak. Now it's getting worse. Also I noticed her front legs are weak too. I don't know if it's due to her arthritis or her not eating well. She loses her balance when walking or going to the litter box. Still jumps to bed but with difficulty.

Had bad diarrhea & vomiting yesterday because she ate a lot of kd dry 2 days ago ( the only food she was willing to eat).

Adequan & Cartrophen are not available here. I asked my vet to get them from another country if possible.

Started Mirtazapin liquid 3 hrs ago. Haven't seen any improvement yet

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Oh Yanna, I’m so sorry she’s not improving. It been crazy here and I haven’t checked on you. I’m wondering if a feeding tube would be a good idea for her? You could then give her meds that way too. Have you weighed her?

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Yanna

Yanna Member

She was 4,3 kg last Friday, the vet weighed her. It's not bad she was always around 4.5 - 5 kg.
    But I doubt 4,3 kg is accurate. She's all skin and bones, a shadow of herself.
    Yesterday I tried another way of feeding her. I open her mouth and put the chunks of the pouch in her mouth. One chunk each time. She accepts it better than syringe feeding. She stays still and then swallows each chunk. I'll go with this a few more days hoping she will start eating on her own after Mirtazapin. If she doesn't, then I don't know...

4. tiffmaxee

Fingers and paws crossed. :bighug:

Critter Mom and Yanna like this.
  5. Yanna

Yanna Member

Thank you Elise!

6. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

:bighug: I’m so sorry she isn’t feeling well and hope it will be alright :bighug:

7. Yanna

Yanna Member

Thanks Tanya!

thebigfuzz likes this.
  8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Yanna,

I'm sorry to hear that Naomi's still having eating problems. Is she still getting ondansetron? If pancreatitis might be the cause of the eating difficulty then it can be dosed more aggressively than for less severe cases of nausea. Ondansetron dosing guidelines from Plumb's Veterinary Handbook:

[​IMG]

Maybe ask your vet about the recommendations for severe pancreatitis? Also, Cerenia can be used in addition to ondansetron. I wonder whether that might be something else to help with the vomiting?

Also, following on from Elise's suggestion about a feeding tube, here is some more information:

catinfo.org - Feeding Tubes for Cats

This is all I can think of to suggest. Sending prayers that the mirtazapine will help Naomi's appetite.

:bighug:

Mogs

9. Yanna

Yanna Member

Last week I made the mistake and stopped Ondansetron when I saw her appetite was back after giving her 2 mg 3 times a day. She's back to this dose again but it doesn' t work now. She's had cerenia inj. for two days, it hasn't helped yet. We're going back to vet tomorrow for cerenia again (no pills available) and fluids

I asked my vet if this is another flare and she said her pancreas is not working/is destroyed so this couldn't be a flare. This is what I understood from her words.

She thinks that Naomi is in this bad situation because of her kidneys and not pancreas.

It's hard when it's me that has to suggest things to the vet. my knowledge is limited, I don't understand medical terms well, Naomi's issues are multiple, it's not just one disease. It's all so complicated.
    What I get from my vet is that Naomi has no much time left. Hasn't said that but this is the feeling I have when I talk to her.
    With CREA 3,5 and BUN 80+ it's not final stage. I can't understand why she's like that

10. Critter Mom

Have you tried asking for help with the CKD things from the Tanya's Site support group? I can't think of what else to suggest to you.

:bighug:

Mogs

11. Yanna

Yanna Member

I have. Sent the labs but they couldn't see them (maybe I didn't follow the right way for attaching files) so they couldn't give me specific advice. I'll try again.

12. Yanna

Yanna Member

Could you please send me again the image with the Ondansetron dosing guidelines? It won't open when I click on it

13. Critter Mom

It's just a screen grab that I pasted into post #8 on this thread, Yanna, not a document. If you need to show it to your vet perhaps you could print off this thread?

It's from the Ondansetron dosing guidelines in this publication:

Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook (6th ed. 2008)

It's a reference book used by many vets.

Mogs

14. Yanna

Yanna Member

Thank you!!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  15. tiffmaxee

Your vet is wrong that if her pancreas is not working it does not mean she doesn’t have pancreatitis. That’s plain ridiculous. She’s not in end stage CKD you are right about that too. It’s so hard when the vets are lost. :bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom and Yanna like this.
  16. tiffmaxee

How’s Naomi today? I see you only gave .50 so I guess not eating enough?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Yanna likes this.