9/16 Squeaky, AMPS 347, +6 320, PMPS 388

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jan D & Squeaky, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Jan D & Squeaky

Jan D & Squeaky Well-Known Member

So yesterday when his sugars were 98, he was animated. So nice.

Bounced? Now 332 ---- he's hiding in the closet, looking like a limp rag. Will only eat if I bring food and hand feed him. He has no interest in moving.

He's also at the end of his steroid cycle, 2.5 mgs were given at 11 am yesterday and it's about 9 am today. So I bet he's inflamed with his IBD too.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Jan D & Squeaky likes this.
  3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

If his poops are just softish (comment from yesterday) I would say his IBD and pancreatitis is under control at the moment.

You may want to consider doing 1.25mg of prednisolone every 12 hours like his shots.

I am going to say he feels unwell with all that extra sugar running through his body. It is all natural but just like us humans we may feel a little crappy during the sugar rush. He may feel a little nauseated from that as well. I would keep up with the cerenia, it will not do harm and will help with the IBD/Pancreatitis as well.

Hope you took some time out for yourself!

Good wishes for you today.

4. Jan D & Squeaky

5. Jan D & Squeaky

Thank you so much. We watched a movie last night.

I agree, I think the extra sugar makes him feel bad. I've observed him being lethargic when his numbers are high.

Do you think I need to increase the cerenia dose? (He was up to 8 mgs at one time). Or dose it twice a day like you suggest the pred?

Thanks a bunch.

Jan

6. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Hi!

PMBG (PM blood glucose) is used to indicate that is the number on the meter, but no insulin was given.

PMPS (PM pre shot) is used to indicate the preshot blood glucose and a shot of insulin was given.

Since you gave insulin, that is why it is advised to change it in your thread title to PMPS :)

tiffmaxee and Jan D & Squeaky like this.
  7. Jan D & Squeaky

Great. I learn, a little at a time. Thank you!!!

thebigfuzz likes this.
  8. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

It’s a lot to learn. When Max became diabetic I only knew a friend l a neighbor, and my sister that had diabetic cats. All they did was test twice a day and bring their cats to the vet for curves. Same dose in between curves. They thought I was nuts for testing. Their cats peed all over the house. One of them gave her cat to the vet because her now ex-husband was fed up. It gets easier. You are reading and learning. :bighug:

9. Jan D & Squeaky

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

When Luci became diabetic, I'd never heard of diabetes affecting cats! I didn't even know it could happen nor did I know the first thing about helping her. My vet strongly recommended euthanasia and listed a bunch of reasons...she would be too difficult to shoot, pee all over my house, impossible to regulate, etc. etc. So much for that guy...anyway, here we are nearly three years later...Luci is not in remission, may never go into remission, but she's healthy and happy and thinks 'life is good'.

You can get Squeaky back on track to feeling better! Just take it one day at a time :)

11. Jan D & Squeaky

Wow, Sue, your story is so inspiring! I will be so glad when Squeaky is feeling better. He and I, we're kind of two peas in a pod. I also have chronic illness stuff and I wonder if he is taking on some of my stuff. In any event I'd like to see us both feeling better soon! Thanks for all the encouragement! We ARE doing a lot better this week with the whole thing.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  12. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

If it was me? I would do the 4 mg each day. At least for now (until Squeaky gets a better handle on this FD game) and if your vet is willing to give it to you. If you find he isn't eating well - give the mirtz (this is dosed every third day) two hours later. If you find he still is nauseated then maybe go up to 8 mg - but if he isn't vomiting right now, I would hold off. Every cat is different, you know him best. Make notes in your SS (take a look at Jones sheet), keep them for reference when talking with your vet it may help when discussing dosages etc. Helps me too with understanding what Squeaky maybe feeling.

I think you will find with the steady dosing in the pred and the assistance of the Cerenia - he will generally feel better. And this should help with the FD and his numbers as well. Don't be scared though if he spends a lot of time sleeping once he does - he needs to rest and heal.

If you see there is improvement in eating habits, he stops bouncing so dramatically - maybe try the Cerenia every second day. Watch for clues - the bread loaf stance, wanting to eat but only eating a couple of bites and leaving with excess licking of the lips. If need be - go back to every day for the Cerenia.

You got this! Lots of support here as well.

:bighug::bighug:

Jan D & Squeaky and Sue and Luci like this.
  13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Mirtz dosing can be daily - it doesn't even last a full day in the cat. The every third day was old school.

How much does Squeaky weight? Cerenia is dosed by weight, and 4 mg is a rather small dose. If the Cerenia is isn't working, ondansetron is a good alternative for nausea, but it has to be given more than once a day.

14. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks for this thoughtful reply! Very helpful. AND good to have the warning don't be scared about lots of sleeping. I do tend to worry, like today, he was in the closet for most of the day. However he was very happy to be taken outside this evening and lay on the grass.

15. Jan D & Squeaky

Thank you, he is a little over 13 pounds. His ideal weight according to the vet is 10 to 12 lbs, best around 12 pounds at the moment, to have extra resources.

16. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

According to the Consensus Guidelines on the Diagnosis & Management of Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - compiled by the International Society of Feline Medicine (ISFM), Cerenia (maropitant) oral is dosed at 2mg/kg every 24 hours. Squeaky is 13 lbs, so almost 6 kg, and could go as high as 12 mg. If a lower dose works, then stick to it, but if he needs more, you could easily double the dose. This article came out too late for me, I was underdosing Neko. :(