? 9/17 Alice AMPS 420 +4.5 326 +8 255 PMPS 188 +2.2 89 +3.5 43 +4 76 +4.5 104 +5 132 +7 112 +9.5 178

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AliceMeowliss (GA), Sep 17, 2020.

1. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...210-2-5-146-4-5-159-8-5-429-d-mannose.235434/

Fatigue/pain was bad this morning, I ended up about twenty minutes late on shot. Better late than nothing at all.
    She is bouncing from last night and I feel awful I didn’t catch the low. I even have a tiny amount of syrup in hopes she would surf for me okay.
    Her appetite is not great today, and I guess it wasn’t last night either. I skipped the Mirataz for one day, maybe it’s building back up again in her system.

meds so far:
    Clavamox
    Cerenia
    Phosphorous binder w her food

Sonia & Leo and Sue and Luci like this.
  2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you're dealing with so much pain today. Glad you got her insulin into her...I hope you both had a better day today...nothing on your SS for today - perhaps you'll have time to add those numbers later.

Have a good evening Cassandra.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  3. AliceMeowliss (GA)

+8 is 255, she hasn’t eaten much today but it’s still good to see her numbers come down. Gonna start fluids a little early.

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope you feel better soon and Alice's appy picks up. Sending prayers.

5. AliceMeowliss (GA)

How much does it look like I got in on subq today?

Attached Files:

6. AliceMeowliss (GA)

PMPS was 188. Shot was given @ +11.7 to get her back on her normal time.
    Since she doesn’t eat gravy stuff now with her IBD, about how much syrup could I mix in to make mid carb food? I need her to surf tonight and maybe even be motivated to eat. Nothing will get her to eat a full meal today. No crumbled liver or Cosequin or Imuquin or fortiflora even. I hope it’s just the antibiotic bugging her tummy or something. :(

She has had two bounces over each of the past two AM cycles then drops low again at night but I keep missing it. I can’t stay up all night. I need a 4 hour break so have enough time to medicate into sleep, and can otherwise do tests and feeds every two hours or so.

Suggestions? Thoughts?
    Also still would love feedback on how much LRS bag I got into her this evening.

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Maybe another 60 LRS tonight?

I did a good size drop of syrup. It does depend a bit on how carb sensitive your cat is.

8. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Thanks. Wish these bags had “half unit markings” too. :p

I don’t know how sensitive she is anymore. Or if I ever knew. Guess I can only try it and then maybe test again in an hour...

9. AliceMeowliss (GA)

@Wendy&Neko she is 89 @ +2.2
    .... that is a 100 point drop. She did not have a big dinner and I tried a fresh can and everything else I have here for her.
    Could I risk mixing something like 1/8tsp syrup into some food to make it mid-carb ish??

thebigfuzz likes this.
  10. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Hypo!
    43 @ +3.5
    Giving about 1/4tsp syrup mixed with a really small amount of food and lots of water. Can’t get her to eat it hardly if it isn’t soup now. Can’t get her interested in the meat nearly as much as the syrup. If she has another week+ on Clavamox and that is making her lose her appetite.... I don’t know what to do. :(

Also, thinking about how she isn’t getting enough calories. Again. 1/4tsp only adds 5 kcal. Sigh.

I’m not sure she is even eating enough at once to give her the phosphorous binder.

11. AliceMeowliss (GA)

This is two times under 50 at this dose. 0.75 is too much... I think I need calipers because 0.5 hasn’t seemed like quite enough of a dose, when she is eating more. I would like to try 0.6 or something. I’m 100% broke right now though. :\

Ondansetron:
    What type of it do you use? Pill (what mg, do you break it into smaller doses), liquid, is there a transdermal? What is most affordable? Do the goodrx coupons ever work for prescriptions from vets?

12. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Did she eat the syrup with food just now? If so, you could try a bit more then test in 30 mins.

13. Wendy&Neko

I use 4mg pills, a common format, and split it in half. It is dose by weight of cat, that is what works for me. There is an injectable version too. Can't say anything about US pharmacies, other than there are generic versions that are much cheaper.

Have you got her on an probiotic to overcome the effects of the antibiotic. Miritaz can be given daily.

Si am cat mom likes this.
  14. AliceMeowliss (GA)

A friend suggested seeing if Alice would take a bottle. Anyone ever had this work with an adult cat?

15. AliceMeowliss (GA)

She ate a very small part of the food and all the syrup she could get at that wasn’t kinda mixed in. I miss the days of being able to use mid carb gravies!

16. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Re-testing in six minutes

thebigfuzz likes this.
  17. thebigfuzz

What time is your next test?

18. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Friend suggesting this but I’m not sure if it is FD/CKD/IBD friendly.
    Not that I can go get it right this second or anything. I mean... I don’t know if Walmart is back to being open 24 hours nor do I want to go inside one!

Attached Files:

19. AliceMeowliss (GA)

+4 was 76 after syrup and small nibbles at +3.5
    +4.5 is 104, fasting for about an hour
    Will their livers “panic” this fast?

I’ve also noticed for a couple days when I test her blood sugar, her blood is thinner. Also harder to draw the blood.

Sigh. She starts to get better than gets worse again :arghh:

20. thebigfuzz

I can never tell when my Cosmos liver is going to take off, but it sure does when it does!

Could be the good hydration making the blood a little thinner? Not entirely sure though.

Alice has been having some good days, don’t forget that :bighug:

21. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I wondered about the hydration. Up until today I haven’t even seen her drink from her bowl because every bit of food has a lot of water mixed in. She doesn’t chew so much now as she drinks her food. It’s like kitty Ensure. :p
    But then today I expect she should be more dehydrated. A run of high sugars and barely eating and therefore barely drinking, plus we didn’t get the full 100mL in her this evening, only maybe 60mL. I wondered if something was affecting her clotting or other things in the blood that I don’t know enough about to guess all by myself. lol.

She is up over 100 now at least, and I also got her to lap up a little bit more of the very small amount of food I made for her.

She is overdue for her next Clavamox dose but I worry it will upset her tummy more. She needs it though so I’m sure that’s what I’ll give next.

22. thebigfuzz

Eating is good, drinking some water is good, the subq fluids you got in is good :) I think you should give yourself some credit, you are doing everything possible. What a lucky kitty!

Bellasmom and AliceMeowliss (GA) like this.
  23. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Thank you.

It’s hard for it to feel like “enough” when she also needs more meds and supplements but she has to eat to make those all happen. I had to toss some of her food she refused for too many hours also, and that had measured out d-mannose and Cosequin and phosphorous binder in it, plus Imuquin and whatever else. The kitchen sink in there too, maybe. :p

She is resting but not in her comfy happy position. I just wish she would feel well enough to cuddle me at night like she used to since she was 1 year old. :(

+5 just now has her at 132. She must already be bouncing. Gonna get her Clavamox now.

Will test again in an hour this time instead of thirty min.

Butters & Lyla and thebigfuzz like this.
  24. thebigfuzz

You are welcome! They can only be 1yr old once :bighug:

25. thebigfuzz

I’m going to take 1 more test on Cosmo... do you think you’ll be ok tonight? If she rises again, you could probably try feeding and then try for a some rest.

26. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Thanks for checking on us! Sometimes it gets pretty quiet here at night in the Western Hemisphere. Lol.

While I always have more questions because Alice likes to throw new challenges my way frequently, I am still pretty good now at handling a hypo or potential hypo! That is one thing we finally got used to. No more anxiety, just straight to the syrup.

Fortunately I felt so crappy all day form my fibro that I napped off and on, so staying up until 6am is easy peasy.... for now. The next day will be hard though. :banghead: :coffee:

+7 Dipped down a bit to 112, gave her a couple drops syrup and tried to gee her to eat her soup but she refused the soup.

I ordered one single can of the tiki after dark venison and beef liver to try later once it’s officially daytime for me. Drive up order at PetSmart. I loathe PetSmart ever since years ago I kept hermit crabs and learned the science of them and their ways, and then saw the store conditions they had for them, complained multiple times to the store for several things including not even providing them with the right humidity so they could breathe (hermit crabs have gills)... they didn’t care and didn’t fix it so I quit them years ago. But need is need! Sacrificing ethics for Alice! :p

27. AliceMeowliss (GA)

If anyone sees this this morning,
    Two questions, what form and dose of ondansetron do you typically use? I want something specific to ask my vet about getting because last time I mentioned ondansetron we ended up with metoclopramide. She’ll agree to it if I can back up my choice.
    Also... when do you decide to get a feeding tube? Is it expensive?
    There are so few foods she can eat with all her conditions so I don’t want to syringe feed something then have her refuse it forevermore. Plus she really resents me syringing anything to her. She’s getting a lot of stuff that way already.

28. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Sorry I can't answer your questions, just wanted to say I am always in awe of how you do absolutely everything possible for Alice, and your other kitties. I'm sorry today wasn't a good day for her; it was so nice to see her having better days lately. :bighug: Take care of yourself, too.

29. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Sending lots of prayers and hugs :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

30. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Thank you for your kind words. Again. :) It means a lot to me to hear some supportive words/encouragement. It’s exhausting and some moments I’m mired in self-doubt. So... thank you. You too are doing a great job. I think it takes someone dedicated and brave to even begin to learn how to take care of FD! The learning curve is steep at the outset and it can feel scary to suddenly so very much have someone’s life in your hands.

Now to be fair, I do have a roommate here specifically to help me around the property and house. He feeds all the boys for me if I am really tired and need a nap. He can’t test or shoot for Alice though because he is missing a little bit of each thumb tip (fun fact: thumb tips have lower blood flow and if you get MRSA in them they don’t heal well). I’d be in over my head without a little help once in awhile. :)

But then, I think as humans we all need help sometimes anyway. :bighug:

Thank you. :bighug: I hope today is kind and good for you. :) Alice and I are so blessed to have you in our corner. <3

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  31. AliceMeowliss (GA)

So here sugar has come up just before “last call” for snacks. At +7 I gave her a little lick of syrup again just in case she wanted to dive.

I finally gave in and realized at this moment, if all she will eat even five calories of is the purebites beef liver, then liver she shall have. I poured little crumbles and pieces over a small bit of wet food hoping she would get a little of that too.

Does anyone have a thought on dosing for the AM? That’s in two hours for us. I wonder if I should do a reduced dose just today because she still isn’t eating hardly.

She did have a bowel movement sometime in the past couple of hours. Looks like it is softer stool again, and that’s the Clavamox in effect, almost 100% sure. I’m glad she is passing waste. She has had a couple pees. She peed on my wall while in the litter box, so I need to find something to cover that spot until she can manage to squat lower again.... :arghh: better she is peeing at all, the wall is more fixable and replaceable. :D And less important.

Oh and something with her might be feeling better because she is out of her hidey basket and lounging on my chest a little.

Sorry I think I over talk when I am extra tired. :p

32. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

You may want to start a new post for today and ask about the ondasetron in it. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

33. Wendy&Neko

Did you see my answer about ondansetron in post #13? That is the most common format used.

34. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I can’t keep track of anything more today. So no, I don’t know where to look. You mean like 9/13?

sorry, tiredness has set in I think and it’s a busy day, or should be :\

35. AliceMeowliss (GA)

36. AliceR

AliceR Member

That's what DH misses the most with Catman's diabetes, he's in there with the drooler but it nit the same. I'm in the Guest BR with an AC joint injury and every once in a while Catman joins me! Less so know with the neuropathy but I'll be take whatever I can get! Hopefully your Alice will surprise you.