9/17 Billy amps 303, pmps 157, +2 245

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sonya&Billy, Sep 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonya&Billy

Sonya&Billy New Member

Hello, I'm relatively new on here, have been lurking and learning lol First time posting. Finally getting a bit better at testing, thankfully. Had a lower than normal pmps tonight, gave token dose. Hopefully that was the right decision. Wondering if I need to still test more tonight or if doing just the reduced dose should keep him in safe numbers all night?

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome. We ask new people to introduce themselves on main/health before posting here so one of the mods will move this condo there.
    Was your starting dose 4.0? I see you decreased from 4.5 but dint see that a reduction was earned With SLGS a drop under 90 earns a reduction. You also are overdue for a curve. It looks like you are seeing a bounce tonight and should be safe for tonight.

Sonya&Billy likes this.
  3. Sonya&Billy

Sonya&Billy New Member

Thankyou! I'm sorry, I'm trying to figure out my way around here- I've never used any sort of forum before and a little technologically challenged. His starting dose was 1 and worked up at the advice of my vet, actually 2 different vets now since the first told me no home testing under any circumstances. Thanks for your reply and help! I'll be trying to perform my first real curve soon...

4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Sonya! Welcome to FDMB :)

Are you feeding ProPlan Urinary dry or wet food? Both are too high in carbs. The wet food is 12-14% and the dry is probably thrice that! You might see a significant improvement in his numbers from removing that food. NOTE: You want to do that very gradually and with extra tests to see how low he is going so you can reduce the dose.

Have you seen this excellent website on Feline Nutrition by a vet, Dr. Lisa Pierson? Specifically this page on urinary tract issues in cats:
    https://catinfo.org/feline-urinary-tract-diseases/

For new members, who don't have enough data on their cats, we recommend skipping insulin below 150. With SLGS, you can shoot any number over 90, if you can monitor. However to get to a place where you are comfortable shooting lower preshots you need to understand how your cat responds to insulin - it's onset, nadir etc.

Next time you get a lower number than you are comfortable shooting, do not feed and test in 20 mins to see if the number is rising without food and post here for help.

Sonya&Billy likes this.
  5. Sonya&Billy

Sonya&Billy New Member

He's only on wet food and the pro plan one is the non prescription urinary (pates) It shows on Dr. Peirson's food chart that they are 3-4% carbs. He used to be on a prescription one but I had switched once I saw the food list. Thank God for that list- so helpful! So I'm wondering now, when should I do his curve? Should I wait a few cycles for this last "token dose" cycle to clear for it to be most accurate? Because could that have drained his depot? I have so much to learn still. Thank you so much for the welcome and your help :)

6. Sonya&Billy

Sonya&Billy New Member

Thank you! He is just as sweet as he is adorable too! I am so happy to have found FDMD!

7. Bandit's Mom

If you're feeding LC wet, do you want to consider doing TR rather than SLGS or is testing every cycle difficult to do on account of your schedule?

Yes the token dose woould have disrupted the depot. I would give it at least 4 cycles to see what the 4U depot can do. If you can get spot checks in every cycle that's always good info to have.

8. Sonya&Billy

Sonya&Billy New Member

I can't do a lot of testing due to my work schedule:-( except when I'm off of course. And will I ever get over feeling terrible about poking him so much? I'm nervous about doing a whole curve. Ok, so good to know on the 4 cycles and I'll work on getting some spot checks til then. Thanks :)

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  9. Bandit's Mom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.