? 9/17 Charlie AMPS 161-Newer member needing guidance

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Julie & Charlie, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Julie & Charlie

Julie & Charlie Member

Hello.

Several members recommended posting on the Lantus forum for guidance when I posted my new member intro last week. Charlie was diagnosed with FD 8/20. Additional details are available in my new member posting. His AMPS numbers have ranged in the mid 200’s and dipped down to 191 yesterday and 161 today (we did start a new container of test strips today). As you can see on his SS, I have been skipping his evening dose because his PMPS is consistently below 150 and I’ve been worried about the typical drop of 100 or more points after his AM shot, and I don’t want him to go too low at night. But I know (think) I should be doing something at night.

My vet thinks FD was caused by the prednisolone he was taking for his asthma and thinks he might be a good candidate for remission. He is off the prednisolone and is now on low carb FF.

I’ve read that TR provides the greatest likelihood for inducing remission in the stickies. However, if I understand correctly, his 12-hour dosing would start at 1.7U because he is about 15 pounds (or is it 1.3U because his “ideal” weight is closer to 12 ? That volume is freaking me out given his drop with just 1 unit.

I would appreciate guidance on next steps that would be most helpful in getting Charlie into remission. I am working from home today and tomorrow and could get additional testing in if there is more data that would be helpful.

New Member Intro - https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-members-julie-charlie.235065/

Thank you.

Ugh-I'm not seeing my signature in the preview. I've manually typed the info here. Sorry if it is a duplicate. I'll know next time!

Charlie-13+ yrs, 15 lbs, DX FD 8/20/20, Lantus, ReliOn. Hyperthyroid 2017-treated R131, asthma 2.5 mg prdnslne until dx, Purina one-dry till dx, now FF, heart murmur.

Charlies Spreadsheet

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’m glad you are now posting here. We just had a steroid induced kitty go OTJ quickly. How long was Charlie on steroids? Was it prednisolone or shots? I’m going to look at your spreadsheet. Be right back.

He has not dropped too low on 1 unit but he also does not need the starting dose for his weight. Normal bg numbers on a human meter are 50-100. Dosing every 12 hours will give an excellent chance at remission.

I think if he were my kitty and I could monitor closely I would shoot .50 and not skip a dose unless he drops under 50. See what others think. Lantus likes consistency and you have been seeing good nadirs during the day. You have enough data to shoot those night doses. A test at +2 or +3 will help determine if more tests are needed and how often.

What do you think?

3. Julie & Charlie

Julie & Charlie Member

Thanks for the reply.

Charlie was on 2.5mg tablets about every other day for a little under 5 months. We've switched to an inhaler but are really struggling with cooperation and I'm not sure he is actually getting any meds.

I wasn't able to find half-unit syringes at any local pharmacies so had to order online. They should get here early next week. If implementing half-dose I'd need to guess for a couple of days or wait for the new syringes to get here.

Just to confirm, the +2 & +3 checks would be at night to see where things are going? I'm guessing I'd probably need a +6 for a couple of nights to see how low his numbers drop at night?

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

If the +2 or +3 is the same or lower than the preshot, chances it will be an active cycle and a +5-6 would be needed. It works with either cycle.