? 9/18 Jill AMPS 177 / +3 76 / PMPS 179 / +3.5 147 - why so much peeing?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Debra and Jill (the cat), Sep 18, 2021.

1. Debra and Jill (the cat)

Debra and Jill (the cat) Member

Yesterday's post >
    Yesterday's BGs: Jill AMPS 99 / +1.5 86 / +3 47 / +3.5 59 / +4.5 101 / PMPS 184 / +3.5 116

Posting late today, but good lord, I need some of your thoughts on this. For the past week, Jill has peed out of the box at least once every day (except for one day). Now she has a new spot in our cat Ozzy's room where she keeps peeing, and she just peed in her bowl after her PMPS meal. That's 3 times out of the box just for today. Her numbers are good -- and I think a lot of this is behavioral -- but should I get her tested for a UTI anyway? I noticed her drinking a lot this morning. I hate to waste more $$ on tests that I feel like are going to come back negative, but I don't have a ton of experience with diabetes-related UTIs. (Peeing out of the box for anxiety and territory reasons -- I got tons of experience with my other cats on that!) The vet said even a little glucose spilling into the urine can cause bacteria to grow and a UTI to form. Should I ask my vet about meds like fluoxetine or gabapentin (some of my other cats are on these for anxiety and litterbox issues)? Or a UTI test?

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

When is the last time her labs were done? How were her kidney values?

Budge had frequent episodes of what we thought wrere UTI but a vet suggested it could be FULTD / Idiopathic Cystitis triggered by stress. That's what it turned out to be - she was getting very insecure with all the attention Bandit was getting.

I'm not suggesting that is what Jill has but it could be possible.

https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&id=4951488
    https://icatcare.org/advice/feline-idiopathic-cystitis-fic/

See if there is anything causing her stress and if some calming products (collars/sprays) help.

3. Debra and Jill (the cat)

Debra and Jill (the cat) Member

I think in May or June she had bloodwork and tested for UTI and everything looked normal. I think it's stress - I think she's worried about not getting enough to eat and she's trying to claim space. I plugged in a Feliway in the room she's peeing in and I thought I had a calming collar but I don't see one. Maybe I will order one. But I'll probably also talk to my vet about medication like fluoxetine. I put her on the CBD oil hoping that would help but it's not doing the job!

Isn't funny that the other cats get jealous of the attention the sugar babies get? I keep telling them that I'd be happy to stick them with needles if that's really what they want!

Bandit's Mom and DexterMeowgan like this.
  4. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

You know your cat best and her behavioral quirks. Mine has become more prone to UTIs since her diabetes diagnosis, so that’s something I want to nip in the bud ASAP when I start to notice symptoms.

5. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Definitely possible that there could be kidney problems or UTI. I hope it is only the stress perhaps. Sorry that this is going on. I understand.
    One thing though- is Jill drinking a lot of water? If she’s not, then I would be optimistic that it’s not kidney problems! With numbers like Jill has, she should not be drinking a lot from her diabetes.