9/18 KittenCat OTJ trial Day 2. AM"PS" #91

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jenifer, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...otj-trial-day1-4-87-7-73.235470/#post-2637349

Kitten held nice and steady throughout the day yesterday, throughout the evening and this morning. Keeping my fingers crossed that this is the real deal!!!!I was nervous to test her when I got home last night at 8:30pm because my husband accidentally let her escape out the back door while he was swapping appliances. Who knows WHAT she ate while out on walkabout for a couple of hours. :eek:
    She has been active, alert, purring, scratching, meowing, begging, and seeking lots of attention. Basically back to her old self! :D
    This is her last night after her epic adventure. She was pleased with herself. :facepalm: KITTY6.jpg

Butters & Lyla and carfurby (GA) like this.
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

You only need to test AMPS and PMPS. IF not green or slightly higher feed and do a recheck in 2-3 hours to see if she comes down. A blue here or there is not a concern. Congrats on completing day 1. :D

3. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

So I don't need to be testing her throughout the day right now?

4. tiffmaxee

No. Just preshots unless a preshot is higher than normal numbers. I can’t get to it now but will see about getting you the directions. It was thought Kitten was ready for a trial but she might just prove them wrong!

5. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

If it's somewhere on here, I can find it. I read something about OTJ trials the other day so I'm guessing it's probably in that section. :)
    And I sure hope she proves 'em wrong! Wouldn't be the first time she's surprised me! :cat:

6. tiffmaxee

7. tiffmaxee

See above. I’m with you on this one and so far I’m 2 for 2. FB991A22-4B3C-4904-AB7B-D314D104F993.png FB991A22-4B3C-4904-AB7B-D314D104F993.png FB991A22-4B3C-4904-AB7B-D314D104F993.png

Jenifer likes this.
  8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice to see all that green. I hope KittenCat proves to everyone she is ready. Here are the OTJ Trial instructions:

Instructions for starting the OTJ trial
    Start the trial on the next green pre shot.
    If he/she is green at your normal test times, no need to test further until the next "PS" time; just feed small meals and go about your day. If he/she is blue at your normal "PS", feed a small meal and test again after about 3 or 4 hours. If his/her number is lower 3-4 hours after a meal, then the pancreas is working!
    Post every day so we can monitor your progress and see if any tweaks are needed. He/she may have a sporadic blue number. Don't panic but post before you decide whether to shoot so we can have a discussion.
    After 14 days of no insulin, we have a party!!
    Sometimes the trial doesn't work the first time and we have to give a little more support in the form of resuming insulin. It's not the end of the world if that happens; we just give him/her the support needed. Our goal is a strong remission and it's better to take our time to get that than to rush into remission just to have it fail later on.
    Good luck with the trial!!!
    Once he/she is through the trial successfully, you enter a new phase. Your cat is still diabetic but has now become diet-controlled. Continue feeding low carb food in the manner successful for your kitty. If you decide to change his/her feeding schedule, let your meter be your guide to the best times to feed. Avoid medications with sugar in them and steroid medications unless they are medically essential. Continue testing blood glucose weekly for the first month and then monthly forever. It's a good idea to weigh him/her monthly. Weight should remain stable. If he/she seems "off" or sick, or is showing signs of diabetes (excessive drinking, eating, urinating, weight loss), test his/her blood glucose right away. Keep the teeth and gums clean and healthy; dental issues can bring a cat out of remission. If you see rising blood glucose numbers, it's time for a visit to the vet!

Jenifer likes this.
  9. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

WooHoo!!! Thank you guys. Of course now that my hubby has gotten the whole testing thing down pat, we don't need him to do it when I'm gone during the day. Lol! Oh well.

10. tiffmaxee

I knew the minute he started she was not going to need it. Wonder if you should tell him?

Jenifer likes this.
  11. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

Lol! His memory is so bad that if I don't remind him, it won't even cross his mind to do it....... :facepalm:

tiffmaxee likes this.
  12. Camille and Cyclone

Camille and Cyclone Well-Known Member

D58C8CE2-AA29-4B26-9FE8-3A8E4447A746.jpeg

I'm sending a pm with details! :)

Jenifer likes this.
  13. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Happy day two!!! :D:D:D
    KittenCat looks awfully pleased with herself!

Jenifer and tiffmaxee like this.
  14. tiffmaxee

Happy day 3. :D:D:D

Jenifer likes this.
  15. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

Thanks!
    Thanks!!!! We’re still holding steady. :D