9/18 Olive AMPS 318 and she's doing so much better on the Lantus

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by OlivesMom, Sep 18, 2020.

1. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...mps-6-and-will-walk-her-forward-later.235464/

What a lovely gently falling BG night! No drastic jumps or plummets to scare me. I made the right choice to inject +6 early for the PMPS after having skipped yesterday mornings injection and seeing how quickly her BG had jumped without it. Today's AMPS wasn't scary either, not like the black that has plagued her. She's been gently falling all morning and at +6 was 188. She's been eating well and ON HER OWN which says a lot to me, unlike yesterday when she would snub her nose at the food bowl before her face and then take off if I persisted to try and get her to eat. This morning she met me happily for her morning pet, something she hasn't done in a while, and then persisted to scent mark everything in her path. I decided last night that the small increase in her food transitioning was something she just isn't ready for yet so I am going to hold at the ratio given on the 16th, which is 3tsp DM to 1 1/2tsp Raw. I'm so grateful that how Lantus works when given at low numbers was explained to me. I'd been so scared to give insulin at around 200 for fear of a hypo. Just looking at Olive this morning I can see she's feeling better in her eyes. They are bright eyed and beautiful. I'm really not at all used to her BG levels on such a gentle curve. I could surely get used to this. I hope it continues. Because her numbers are becoming somewhat predictable from test to test, I have realized I can skip testing to every few hours instead and I'm sure as her levels truly level out and stay there that I will be able to go even longer between testing and still feel safe doing so.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

This is a wonderful report. Do you have a digital baby scale? I’d start weighing her weekly. Weight gain is another way to judge improvement.

3. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

I don't have a baby scale yet, but I've ordered one that should be here the first week of October. It's good for pets too.

I also spoke with the vet this morning to see what I could do about getting some of the nausea meds suggested on here knowing we are going into the weekend without access to a vet and I wanted her to have something in case she needed it. For starters, as I had already discovered, Olive isn't ready to go beyond the same food ratio she's been on for days now, which is roughly a 75% DM to 25% Raw mixture and the vet said to NOT try to go beyond this ratio for the next week solid and just let her body adjust fully to this ratio as every time I try and increase she seems like she's getting sick to her stomach. The vet said a 75% DM ratio is still pretty good and she'd rather see her excel and want to keep eating on her own at this ratio then to make her sick trying to increase. She's also increased her pepcid to twice a day which should help significantly going every 12 hours instead of once every 24. She said cat's can safely have two 10mg pills a day so Olive will be perfectly safe at this dose and really should help her out even more. I'm rather excited to see how the following days go as I feel like we're finally making some headway here.

Critter Mom and tiffmaxee like this.
  4. tiffmaxee

I use a Salter baby scale. I still think ondansetron is better than Pepcid but otherwise agree with your vet.

OlivesMom likes this.
  5. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

https://www.walmart.com/ip/44-Pound...=sem&msclkid=9c7b6278d7c4123816643d1c3753e695

This is the one I ordered. The link seems pretty long so will see how it shows up on your end when you click on it. The Salter looks good too, but I'm limited on space so this one should be just right.
    If the pepcid doesn't do a better job given at double the amount every 12 hours then I guess I'll have to insist on the ondansetron. But at least I have some extra help through the weekend now. I actually had to deal with the on-call vet today, but she's very well aware of Olive's case too so I was cool with it all.

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Sounds like the plan is working. Glad to hear she is feeling better.

OlivesMom likes this.
  7. tiffmaxee

How much Pepcid are you giving?

8. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

5mg twice a day.

It's now the 19th and there's no time to enter any info into the SS from last night or this morning as I've got to run some morning errands and am trying to be back in 3 hours. Olive is doing okay, bounced high which I don't understand, but she's doing good, eating, and being our sweet Olive. Talk later.

tiffmaxee and Critter Mom like this.
  9. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Great whole cat report, Robyn! And glad to hear you sounding much better too! :bighug:

(((Olive)))

Mogs

OlivesMom likes this.
  10. tiffmaxee

When you do return please start a new condo.