9/19 Dosage Advice!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Autumn - Sunday’s mom, Sep 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Autumn - Sunday’s mom

Autumn - Sunday’s mom Member

Hi everyone, my name is Autumn, and my sugar baby’s name is Sunday.

Question!

It’s time for my sugar baby’s PM dosage. We have been transitioning her to a wet food diet. Just tested her using the AlphaTrak2 and her number was 84 (fasted). Yesterday, her vet told me too lower from 2.5 units of Lantus twice a day to 2. So, she got 2 units last night and this morning. 84 seems a little low to give full 2 units.

Any advice?

THH & Snowcrash (GA) likes this.
  2. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

THH & Snowcrash (GA) Member

Hi there ;)

Just repeating the comment I left in the facebook group:
    84 on an AlphaTrak is too low for insulin generally; I wouldn't suggest giving any tonight.

I think the dose may be too high.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Autumn!! Good for you for moving from the Facebook group to here!

I already answered your question too but wanted to congratulate you on your first post! Now we just need to get that spreadsheet going!

I'll send you a message on Facebook and see if we can get that going!

4. Chris & China (GA)

Good job! Let me take a quick look

5. Chris & China (GA)

With the numbers you've been getting and the fact that you're changing to low carb food from very high carb food, I'd say you need to drop that dose in the morning.

I'd suggest starting over at .5. Do you have syringes with half unit marks? It's a lot safer to start low and go up slowly (if needed) than start too high and have to constantly prop the numbers up to keep her from having a hypoglycemic crisis.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  6. Autumn - Sunday’s mom

I don’t have the syringes with the half marks, but I think I can buy some tomorrow. I will try starting from scratch tomorrow morning. I think that’ll make
    me feel a lot safer. I’ve been worried on her current dosage. Thank you.

7. Chris & China (GA)

If you're in the US, you can get them at WalMart for $12.58/100

You need 3/10ml, 30 or 31 gauge insulin syringes (don't mention "with half unit marks" because most of their employee's have no idea they even exist or will try to sell you 1/2ml syringes).

The packaging differs, but if it's either one of these boxes (and they can be 30 gauge or 31 gauge) with the purple stripe, they're the right ones.
    upload_2021-9-19_22-8-25.jpeg

8. Autumn - Sunday’s mom

thank you for the pictures!

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome if you didn't give any insulin please put NS in the units column
    Can you get some tests in at night , it's important to see the whole picture
    Most cats drop lower at night , if you can get a +2 and maybe a +4 and @+6 that would be great. If the +2 or +3 is lower than her PMPS it might be an active cycle requiring more tests and feeding
    You probably work during the day so maybe on the weekends you can test more during the day and night :cat:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  10. Autumn - Sunday’s mom

Thank you for your response. I updated the spreadsheet. I gave her 1 unit. I am going to attempt to get one throughout the night. Will update.

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Chris suggested to give 0.5 units in the morning, please watch her tonight since you gave her 1 unit :cat:
    Most of us feed our cats during each 12 hour cycles
    Bigger meals at AMPS and PMPS then about 2 tablespoons for the smaller meals
    You might want to leave her some food out before you go to bed
    Just keep her SS up to date .
    Do you have any medium and high carb foods in case she drop too low and you have to bring her BG up, also have some honey or Karo on hand
    LC = <10%
    MC = 11% - 16%
    HC = >16%
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dr-pierson-new-food-chart.174147/

Most of us feed Fancy Feast Classic Pates much more affordable, just wanted to let you know , I know Weruva is more expensive but is she likes it that's fine, just trying to save you some money here are some of the med and high carb Fancy Feast

med and high carb food on hand in case she drops too low and you need to bring his BG up to safe numbers

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Gourmet Beef Feast in Gravy 20% High Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Gourmet Chicken Feast in Gravy. 15% Med Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Turkey Feast in Gravy. 15% Med Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Chicken and Beef Feast in Gravy 15% Med Carbs

Or any other ones from the food chart, above

Good idea to mark the cans with magic marker how many carbs

:cat:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  12. Autumn - Sunday’s mom

I just saw this. Thank you for the info. Yes, I have some of her old high carb dry food which she loves. I just posted a new thread. Her BG this morning is 63. She hasn’t eaten yet, and I haven’t shot anything. Should I skip this shot?

13. Diane Tyler's Mom

I wouldn't give dry food at all, if she ever drops to low if you give insulin it's best to give wet
    On your new post you were told to skip
    @Autumn Dunlap

14. Autumn - Sunday’s mom

Hi! Would you be able to check Sunday’s spreadsheet and advice what I should do for her PM shot, please?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.