9/19 Phoenix BG 71 Fancy Feast not working

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Scdal, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Scdal

Scdal Member

@Bandit's Mom
    Phoenix was at 123 BG at +6 this morning. I gave him some fancy feast hc and checked again 30 minutes later. His BG had fallen to 80. I fed some more fancy feast hc and checked again 20 minutes later. Phoenix's BG had still fallen to 71.

I have just given him some honey and will check again in about 10 minutes. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Susan, I don't think it's a case of Fancy Feast not working. His depot is just too full and like a speeding train blowing past high carbs.
    Use honey.

And the 0.25U reduction was not enough.

3. Scdal

Scdal Member

Thank you, I have already given him honey and his BG now is 84.

How much more should I lower his insulin dose? I lowered it by .25. Should I try lowering it another. 25? I know that I am probably supposed to lower more than that but I worry about his BG going back to the 300s. I will lower to whatever you suggest. Thank you, Bhooma

4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Susan, I would try 11U. You needn't hold the dose long if you think it isn't working. But keeping him on too high a dose is dangerous and there is only so long you can be up day and night keeping him up with high carbs and honey.

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) likes this.
  5. Scdal

Scdal Member

I agree, I got up at midnight when Phoenix's BG dropped to 123. I have only had 2 hours sleep and that will probably be it.

I will drop Phoenix back to 11 units at his AMPS. I guess I can get an early start on my housework. I am going to start a load of laundry and wash few dishes. Have a great day, Bhooma, and thank you.

6. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice numbers last night, Susan. You poor thing. No sleep. I hope you can rest after your laundry and dishes.

7. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

What kind of Fancy Feast? Do you mean gravy lovers? Because the classic pates are low carb but the gravy lovers are much higher in carbs. Good old honey (or karo) is the way to go then and I see you have a handle on it! I was just confused when you said FF not working about which kind you were feeding him.

8. Suzanne & Darcy

Good luck with 11 today.

9. Suzanne & Darcy

@Bandit's Mom what would you think about a depot drainer? I was just thinking that, if this were going on with my cat, I probably would have done a half dose this morning to drain the depot and then gone back to 11 tonight. I’m just thinking here….
    And as Wendy has said to me many times, you can always go back up quickly if the reduced dose doesn’t work…. Of course Darcy was Acro.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  10. Scdal

Scdal Member

I was feeding Phoenix gravy lovers high carb and his BG was still dropping. I am sorry for not specifying which kind I was feeding. In all, he ate a can and a half of the hc.

11. Scdal

Scdal Member

Yes, Phoenix had nice numbers last night but it was because he had two separate occasions when I had to feed him honey. He also ate a can and a half of fancy feast gravy lovers hc.

I am still bright eyed and bushy tailed thanks to 2 large mugs of Illy expresso coffee. I will probably crash after lunch.

Phoenix is feeling really good. He has been out all morning chasing the baby ducks along the fence line. Don't worry, he can't get them. There is chain link between them. The mama duck brings them up to my house for breakfast every morning and evening. She is a good mama duck. She won't wait down by the pond with the other ducks. She makes sure her babies get their fair share of food.

I hope you and your kitty are having a great day too !

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  12. Suzanne & Darcy

That’s cute about the ducks. Do you feed them, Susan? And @Summer and Susie has ducks, too, that she takes care of. :)

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  13. Scdal

Scdal Member

Yes, I feed them every day. I have approximately 40 ducks. They do fly between my pond and my neighbor's pond but they don't feed them. I have about 4 mama ducks with babies right now.

I had a repairman out last week to fix the roof on my shed. One of my ducks flew up on the roof and watched him the whole time he was working. It was so funny to see this duck supervising. All animals are much smarter than we think they are.