9/19 Ruby AMPS 217/+2 272/+6 207/PMBG +2 211

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Katherine&Ruby, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Yesterday's epic saga.

Ruby did not like the eye ointment this morning. After I applied about an ⅛ inch of it to her eyelid, she hissed loudly at me (she never does this) and ran off, pawing at her face. Her eye must be really irritated and sore still, my poor little kitty. She slept on the bed with me most of the night and hasn't eaten her breakfast but I'm sure she will be hungry later. Added some s. boulardii to her food instead of her usual Visbiome probiotic, so hopefully that will keep any possible diarrhea or stomach irritation at bay. Sneezing and sniffling is gone, so that is good but she still seems a little lethargic.

She surfed in some good greens last night, so overall I am happy with her numbers that seem to have gotten better since the flea treatment.

Hope everyone has a beautiful Sunday. :bighug:

Our Dolly Girl (GA) likes this.
  2. Katherine&Ruby

Hi Suzanne,
    Ruby has never been on clavamox before. She’s nauseated and not eating this morning so I gave her an ondansetron a few moments ago. She’s still squinting and meatloafing. I really don’t like having to give meds to treat side effects for meds.

I am going to get on the exterminator’s case tomorrow. What nerve. I am also going to try spraying the house myself to see if that will work but it will be hard to tell for a while whether I can keep the f$&!?;rs at bay. Quel cauchemar!

3. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Our Dolly Girl (GA) Well-Known Member

Good morning Katherine, first I have to tell you Dolly at 12 years old has just found her hissing button and it’s her reaction to giving her pain meds every day. Honestly, until about a month ago, I never heard her hiss at anything. Sometimes she now will hiss at me when I have to pick her up for testing, much better if she gets up on her own. Rob and I were talking about the exterminators and he said it was definitely a case for Judge Judy:p.

I hope Ruby starts to feel better. I hope you all start to get back into some normalcy as much as possible with all that’s going on. Were there any fleas in the traps this morning?
    I just wish for all of you a nice calm Sunday. :):cat:

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  4. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Healing hugs and prayers:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Pamela & Amethyst

Sometimes the Terramycin stings a little when first applied. That is one of the 6 eye medications Amethyst needs 3x a day. I always apply it very slowly and a little at a time Good Luck:bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Afternoon Katherine, I'm sorry to hear Ruby is nauseous, I hope she'll feel better later. I'm glad she stopped sneezing . I hope you all have a nice day :bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Katherine&Ruby

You are hilarious! :joyful: I'm gonna sock it to them. I wonder how you get on Judge Judy? :bookworm:

No fleas in the traps this morning. YAY!

I didn't know it would sting. Has Amethyst gotten used to it yet?

Ruby is usually VERY docile and sweet, and takes all of her pokes, meds and shots without complaining one bit. It made me sad when she hissed and ran away from me as I did not realize how much it would hurt. My Ruby-doo. :( I'm going to try a different strategy tonight and wipe her eye off first with a gauze pad with warm water and see if that makes it a little better.

8. Pamela & Amethyst

YES!!!! I always wipe both of Amethysts eyes off with a warm cotton round BEFORE any Eye Medication goes on I also wipe her eyes gently with warm cotton rounds after I give her the Glaucoma Drops because they really sting:( No Amethyst has not gotten use to 6 eye medications 3x a day. They are part of her routine now because it is a life long condition ,such as Asthma and Diabetes I say prayers every time that I do not hurt her too much!!

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  9. Katherine&Ruby

OK, I was so tired this morning that I forgot about the warm moist cotton round. I will remember tonight. So much goes into Ruby's morning routine too like Amethyst--her poke, her pred, her Clavamox, her eye ointment, her insulin, her probiotics, her laxative--it's a lot to keep track of.

10. Pamela & Amethyst

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

W.T.F. orkin!!

Hope Ruby feels better soon :bighug:

12. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

:bighug:
    What a nightmare, indeed. It looks like Ruby may be one of those cats who don’t do well on Clavamox. I have to keep a chart of which of my cats can and cannot take it - because it is a very good antibiotic, but some just can’t take it. My Ginger will vomit a lot and not eat much on it. My Jane will get diarrhea (at least I think it’s Jane? Have to check :) ). Anyway I agree about using meds to combat the side effects of other meds! Although if she goes on Chlorambucil one day you will have to … but this is different! There are alternative antibiotics that your vet could prescribe that should be easier on poor Ruby’s GI tract. It’s the clavulanic acid combined with amoxicillin that makes Clavamox such an effective drug, but it also is what can wreak havoc on the digestive system! It’s a really interesting thing since Clavulanic acid blocks an enzyme produced by bacteria to inactivate the antibiotic - so the antibiotic is able to work better. But anyway…. I would call the vet tomorrow to see if you can pick up a different antibiotic. We want Ruby to eat. Poor baby. I once took Augmentin (human Clavamox) and I understood what my poor cats were going through. I always took it with food, but I got the worst gastric reflux and was having heartburn all the time. I didn’t get diarrhea, but the whole experience was horrible.

13. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh. I’m sorry, Katherine! It does hurt your heart when they hiss and run away because of something we do to them! Poor Ruby! I’ve never had too much trouble withTerramycin before (depends on the cat or kitten) but some of the drops really so sting a ton! But Ruby obviously does not like it! I hope Olive won’t catch anything from her - then you would be going through the same thing with her.

14. Suzanne & Darcy

I always keep a kind of spreadsheet/ checklist to check off meds and treatments when I have a cat that gets more than a few meds/supplements/ treatments. I sometimes use a small whiteboard and check off after I have given the med/supplement/ fluids, etc. If I don’t do this, I am sure to forget something.

15. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

16. Katherine&Ruby

Gosh, I really had no idea that there might be other antibiotics. I was resigning myself to dealing with runny poop for a week! I will call in the morning and ask. It will be my day off and I can devote my day to all things cats.

17. Katherine&Ruby

Olive seems totally fine for the moment. I suspect that the pred leaves Ruby prone to URIs, especially after the stress of the fleas lowering her defenses against other viruses and bacteria. Ruby has had mild colds before but never conjunctivitis.

18. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Dolly has been on so many of them I fear she has become antibiotic resistant. Dolly was put on a course of Cerenia ( would not be for Ruby) for her congestion. Since it meant pilling her it was a disaster, I think it was for thirty days. Same Cerenia for nausea but different dosing :rolleyes:. She took Azithromycin as an antibiotic and also a course of every 72 hours for congestion. It was our miracle drug for a year. She was on Clavamox, Orbax, Covenia (the one that has helped her since we got her but is considered dangerous), Veraflox, Meloxicam, Tobramycin for her eyes. So, yes, there are many. I no longer remember if any worked short term except Azithromycin and Covenia. Sorry Katherine, I talk too much when I am tired :p I hope you find something that doesn’t cause runny poop. I don’t remember Dolly ever having diarrhea from anything. Hope tomorrow finds solutions so pretty Ruby feels better. Take good care all of you.:):cat::cat::)

19. Diane Tyler's Mom

I just read no fleas in the traps YAY!
    I'm in the mood for a good fight, let me call Orkin tomorrow :p
    Lay into those idiots tomorrow!
    Sorry about the diarrhea , I hope the get can give you something else :bighug::bighug:

20. Katherine&Ruby

For the 2nd time in all of Ruby's time as a diabetic, Frank and I went out and had a good time seeing music outdoors and had dinner with friends. We just got home at PM +2, gave Ruby her pred, her eye ointment, and skipped her shot and her Clavamox after we found runny poo all over the kitchen. I did not want to shoot two hours late as it would put us off her schedule too much. We will rely on her depot and we will catch up starting tomorrow morning again. She was very hungry when we got home so that is good.

Diane Tyler's Mom and FrostD like this.
  21. Katherine&Ruby

The only other antibiotic Ruby's ever been on was metrodiazole for diarrhea and that was a while ago. I didn't realize there were other antibiotics for URIs. I'm going to write to her oncologist tomorrow morning about another antibiotic she would recommend and then see if the local vet here in Hoboken will have it on hand. I don't like the idea of Covenia as she clearly is sensitive to antibiotics and since I don't know how she will react I don't want to give her an injectible that will stay in her system for two whole weeks. So we shall see.

22. Diane Tyler's Mom

I'm glad you and Frank went out and had a good time. :cat:

23. Katherine&Ruby

We went and saw The Bongos, a band from the 80s, play at the Van Vleck house in Montclair. It was such a beautiful venue, usually used for weddings, and a small crowd of maybe 200 people all outside. It was great!

24. Diane Tyler's Mom

I just googled the Van Vleck house on my god so beautiful!
    I have never heard of The Bongos, I looked them up and never listened to any of their music
    I'm glad you had a great time!
    I have always been into rock
    My favorite is Aerosmith as you know
    Like Queen, The Who, AC/DC,
    The Allman Brothers Band
    Lynard Skynard love the song Free Bird!
    The Doors
    Credence Clear Water
    I like other music too
    I know I have to be older than you I grew up in the 70's
    My birthday is on my profile, but I still feel like I'm in my 30's :p
    How the hell did I get so old! :p It's depressing but at least I'm in good shape

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  25. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

I like Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Louie Armstrong, I am barely over 30 :p and in great shape:p I like Garth Brooks and Willie Nelson too.:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

26. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

So happy you got out and had a good time. :):)

27. Diane Tyler's Mom

I love Frank Sinatra especially My Way and That's Life

28. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Just playing :D, although I love their music and It’s a Wonderful World by Louie Armstrong. I loved the late 50’s rock and roll but a total romantic - Johnny Mathis and slow dancing :joyful:

sorry Katherine

29. Diane Tyler's Mom

Johnny Mathis had a beautiful voice

30. Suzanne & Darcy

No convenia! Two words: Hemolytic Anemia. Need I say more. It doesn’t always happen bit can happen. If there’s a bad reaction of any kind you cannot reverse the shot … it is inside them for two to three or even four weeks! It’s a personal Soap Box.

31. Suzanne & Darcy

Baytril and Zeniquin are good. Some people are fond of Veraflox on this Board. But there are options. Hopefully, Ruby is already getting over it. This is just for future reference.