? 9/20 Roxy: Overdosed? AMPS: 283, +3 279, +6 306, +8.5 329

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Roxy & Deb, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Roxy & Deb

Roxy & Deb Member

2. Roxy & Deb

Roxy & Deb Member

Should I give her small higher carb snacks regularly over next few hours to offset the effects? Problem is I am not sure... Feel sick with worry... :(

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Don't panic. Sometimes it turns into a non event. She is running high enough numbers it might not matter. Don't load up on high carbs until it's needed. Test often, keep ss updated and keep posting as you get tests. Also it might be good thing to see if higher dose does anything.

4. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with @Olive & Paula – sometimes these things turn into a non-event. Test often tonight and you may need to test more often during tomorrow's cycle as well to see if there is any carryover.

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I don’t see any tests on your ss. Please let us know the current bg, add it to the subject, and remove the 911 so we will know if you need immediate help. I hope all is well. :bighug:

6. Roxy & Deb

Roxy & Deb Member

You should be able to see 2 from today? Just did the +3 and not much change yet but that's normal for her.

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I see it. Looks like no impact if you did she too much.

8. Roxy & Deb

Roxy & Deb Member

Too early to tell

9. Roxy & Deb

Roxy & Deb Member

Well strangely Roxy's numbers have gone up, not down, could that be as a reaction to the possible higher dose?

10. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Not really. She is just flattish and high. Looks like she needs another increase from tomorrow.

11. Roxy & Deb

Roxy & Deb Member

Did you see my opening post? You don't think I have double dosed her?

12. Roxy & Deb

Roxy & Deb Member

I wasn't sure Bhooma that you understood that immediately after dosing her this morning I suddenly thought I hadn't adjusted the pen after priming it so accidentally gave her 2 units. So that's why I am concerned that these high numbers are her body going into shock at the high dose and dumping glucose? Is that possible?

13. Bandit's Mom

Hi Deb, I did read the whole thread :) I don't see any lower numbers today so it's not a case of her body/liver dumping glucose to bring her up.

14. Roxy & Deb

Roxy & Deb Member

Thanks Bhooma. I thought if the liver was dumping glucose into the bloodstream the numbers go up? I thought it might do that in response to a larger than usual dose? As often numbers go up when you first increase a dose?

15. Bandit's Mom

Yes, the live dumping glucose in the bloodstream follows a dip to a lower number than the cat is used to. There hasn't been that dip today.

New Dose Wonkiness which causes numbers to go up is usually seen in cycle 2/3 after an increase.

I am not saying that you couldn't have given 2U this morning by mistake. Just that it seems not to have affected her numbers so she is okay for now :)

16. Roxy & Deb

Roxy & Deb Member

Wow that's lucky. Do I need to be careful tomorrow or later tonight?

17. Bandit's Mom

Yes. If you've given 2U instead of 1U it may cause more action in the next few cycles. Do get a +3 tonight even if she starts high.

18. Roxy & Deb

Roxy & Deb Member

Actually I’ve thought this through and of course the pen resets to zero after every click so there’s no way I could have double dosed, I actually must have not given her any!! Which makes her numbers make much more sense. Poor baby!

19. Bandit's Mom

All's well that ends well! It looks like she needs another increase from tomorrow, Deb.

Roxy & Deb likes this.
  20. Roxy & Deb

Roxy & Deb Member

OK thanks Bhooma, will do. 1.25 it is. :(

21. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad she is okay. I hope the increase will bring her numbers down, Deb.

Roxy & Deb likes this.
  22. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Have you thought about using syringe instead of the pen itself. You would draw the insulin from the rubber stopper you see when pulling the cap off.

Heather82372 likes this.
  23. Heather82372

Heather82372 Member

I was wondering the same. Surprised no one has mentioned using a syringe instead of the pen actually. They must know something I don't. ;)

24. Roxy & Deb

Roxy & Deb Member

We have been using syringes for months. Only went back to the pen for the full 1 unit. You can’t do partial units with the pen. If you look at the SS you can see we’ve gone up from 1 to 2 and all the way down to 0.25 units” with syringes. Just using up the screw on needles while she was on one unit. Thanks for the input.