9/22 Elmo PMPS.149 + 1 182 +3 48 +4 60,+4. 5 66,+5 61,+5.5 67,+ 6 77,+6.5 71

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Beth 73, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Yippeee.... my reward for no sleep :coffee:

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

As Wendy said, if you want to carb him up and get some sleep you can as he has earned his reduction.

3. Beth 73

Gave 1tMC plus 2 drops HC....was looking at last Wednesday and Thursday and both times he was going up and around nadir (7-) he’d drop again .... that makes no sense , or does it ?

4. Beth 73

Explain “ carb him up “, please

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes they can drop again if it is a strong cycle and the food is wearing off.
    Beth you know that cats like to keep their owners guessing and on their toes. The minute they see you relaxing they go into action again:joyful:

Beth 73 likes this.
  6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Carb up means you are going to abort the cycle and feed up with higher carb food to bring the numbers up higher, instead of just feeding them enough to get them up over 50 and then trying to get them to surf in green numbers

7. Beth 73

Last time I gave him a bigger amount of HC he threw it up ......would it work by giving MC and how much ? Did you do that with Sheba ? And how would I know whether or not he did a late drop ?

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

If you think he's going to throw up then don't give it to him! We don't want that!
    If you want to try it, you can choose the % of carbs and how much.
    Make a note in the SS what you give him and the effect it has on the SS.
    It will be good data to have for future reference..
    It's called aborting the cycle and can be done if the carer is too tired to keep testing, or the carer has to leave the house or similar circumstances.

9. Beth 73

I’m tempted but leary..... seeing he dropped at + 7 both times last week causes me to want to see this thru until then...... let’s see what this next result is ....instead of giving just a teaspoon Would it work to give several teaspoons after each test ? Would that gradually carb him up ? Rather do it slowly to avoid stomach upset.

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Absolutely fine to leave it til you are ready or you don't have to do it all.
    Yes you can do it by giving it more gradually if you think that will suit Elmo better. You know him best.
    Several teaspoons after each test is quite a lot anyway!

11. Beth 73

+5.5. 67. Going to try increasing amount of food to more of a heaping teaspoon MC plus 2 drops HC and test in 30....see where he is

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  12. Beth 73

Bron, what signals to you to suggest to stop food and see how they do after an hour ?.

13. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

I’ve got nothing to say other than this is great and you’re doing a great job with Elmo!

Beth 73 likes this.
  14. Bron and Sheba (GA)

That's a good question.
    What normally happens is we feed high carb food until we get the number up over 50 then we usually switch to low carb food and see if that keeps the numbers up over 50 or higher. If it doesn't stay up over 50 we go back to high carb.
    If it does stay up over 50 we keep testing and feeding whatever the numbers tell us to feed. Feeding some low carb food once up over 50 often encourages them to get on their surf board and surf in green numbers which is great.

When they have been able to hold a number or increase the number without too much intervention with food we can try not feeding and see what happens. Some cats start to move up the numbers quite well after some HC but others, especially if the cycle is strong, will need more food interventions to keep them safe.
    Collecting data and writing notes in the remarks column about food will be great for you to look back on for future reference.

Crista & Ming likes this.
  15. Beth 73

Thanks so much,Crista :bighug: Bron is such a comfort and help .... so thankful :bighug:for help from Down Under:bighug:

Crista & Ming likes this.
  16. Beth 73

I have a notebook where I keep a daily log . Probably be good to transfer some of the info to SS so anyone helping could see...like how he can be going up then drop at ab nadir .... believing it won’t happen this time . Would you say Elmo has strong cycles ?

17. Beth 73

+ 6. 77......thots , Bron on what to feed ?. Could I mix 2 t MCgravy in a little water so not so rich ? I’ve been giving small amounts of SEB all along to help his stomach

18. Beth 73

Our friendly neighborhood owl is keeping me company as well, sitting atop the chimney and hooting away :)

19. Bron and Sheba (GA)

If you want him to surf in greens just feed him low carb.
    If you want to abort the cycle and maybe get to bed earlier then feed some higher carb food.

On 9/18 and 9/19 in the pm cycle, Elmo had two long green cycles where you had to feed a lot of higher carb food to keep him up over 50. I would call those strong cycles.

20. Beth 73

What would you do at this +6 of 77? Switch to LC plus some MC gravy ??? What to do when stomach is getting full ? Or can I add water to MC gravy and syringe ....he is ab finished eating I believe

21. Beth 73

Coming up on 30 with no food.....test and see

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  22. Bron and Sheba (GA)

If it's coming up to 30 and you haven't fed then don't feed and just test

Beth 73 likes this.
  23. Beth 73

Great minds thinking alike .... that’s what I did ....this test will be last strip with Confirm meter ...Prime meter runs higher

24. Beth 73

Did side by side with meters. Confirm ( meter I’ve been using all night) said 71......Prime said 90.... at +6.5. Will now be using Prime ....this is a bit scary ....is that a big difference ? Strips for the Confirm will be here in 2 days which does me no good right now

25. Beth 73

Feeding LC 1 t plus 1/4 t MC gravy ..

26. Bron and Sheba (GA)

+6.5 71 on confirm meter
    +6.5 90 on Prime meter
    So from now on you will be testing on Prime meter, yes?
    If you are not going to feed HC to abort the cycle then don't feed too much in case he won't eat.
    He's doing fine and quite safe.
    Can you update the SS when you have time please Beth.

27. Beth 73

Yes now using Prime ...

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  28. Beth 73

Challenging here in the wee hours to reconcile the two readings .... the 90 says he’s in fine shape .... do u split the difference and go with that number as far as tonight ? Bad timing on having to use backup meter :(

29. Beth 73

+7 86. Prime .....honestly,Bron, I don’t know what to do ....I’m dealing with a sick civvie as well as these all nighters... my decision making is ab shot......and now throwing the backup meter into the mix....and having him drop at +7-8 after numbers have been rising those last two all nighters .....feed the LC MC mix for another hour to make sure he doesn’t suddenly deep dive ...I’m at a loss

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  30. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I think we have to go with the Prime number now but to take into account that it is reading 19 points higher than the Confirm Meter. So if we see what the next reading is we will be able to see where Elmo is heading.

Beth 73 likes this.
  31. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I'm sorry you are having a rough time witha sick civvie and no sleep. It makes decision making hard.
    +7 86 that is pretty close to 90 so basically the same.
    If he'll eat some LC if give him a teaspoon and then test in 30
    How does that sound.
    And make yourself a cup of tea or coffee.

Beth 73 likes this.
  32. Beth 73

Giving 1 t LC plus 1/4 t MC gravy.....test in 30.....and so many thanks, Bron, for giving up all this time ... I feel badly for that ....

33. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Please don't feel bad. Happy to help

Beth 73 likes this.
  34. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm a little late getting on this morning, but I'll be here for about an hour and 15 minutes before I have to leave for work. I'm sorry Elmo is keeping you up while you're havng to deal with a sick civvie.

Bron and Sheba (GA) and Beth 73 like this.
  35. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hi Carla. Waving from Oz.
    We have to stop meeting like this :joyful:

36. Beth 73

+7.5. 94 ( Prime backup meter).......

37. Beth 73

Should I continue to feed the LC MC mix for another round or try no food and test in 30 minutes ?

38. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I would try no food and see how that goes.

Beth 73 likes this.
  39. carfurby (GA)

I agree with Bron. Hopefully he'll keep surfing for you.

Beth 73 likes this.
  40. Beth 73

Sounds like a plan .....last two tests he doesn’t hardly wake up ...at least one of us is getting some sleep:rolleyes:

41. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Good grief Elmo. :bighug::bighug: to you Beth.

Beth 73 likes this.
  42. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I don't know why I don't get tag notifications. Anyway, it was a mess. More flooding at the house than during Harvey, Ike or Rita but didn't make it to the house. Hubby was trapped on the other side of town and finally made it to his mom's where he spent the night. Thanks for thinking of us :bighug: Need a Scooter update :cool:

43. carfurby (GA)

@LizzieInTexas Sorry you had to deal with flooding. I'm glad your DH was okay. :bighug::bighug:

LizzieInTexas and Beth 73 like this.
  44. Beth 73

Hugs gladly received , Lizzie :bighug:

45. Beth 73

+8 103..no food..(Prime backup meter).... safe to catch a few quick winks ?.. will be up in an hour and a half ....what y’all think

46. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes I think you should be ok to catch a nap for an hour and a half.
    I'd leave down a spoonful of low carb for him to snack on in case he wants it.

carfurby (GA) likes this.
  47. Beth 73

You are a lifesaver ,Bron of Oz :bighug::bighug::bighug: A milion bazillion thanks for all you did for us once again:bighug::bighug:

48. carfurby (GA)

I agree.

49. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Happy to help any time Beth!

50. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

What a night! Thank Goodness Bron of Oz ( the new moniker) and Lou were around to help you. Elmo is on a mission ! Get some sleep Beth! And congratulations on the reduction. I always loved when Bubba would get a reduction after I did an all nighter. It was my reward !

Beth 73 likes this.
  51. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh, myyyyyyyyy!!!!!! I can't believe Elmo did this again (well, yes I can)! Great job everyone!

Poor Beth, you must be on the edge at this point! I hope you are getting some sleep now. If I were you, I'd be thinking about not only a reduction, but a skip, either this morning or tonight to ensure some sleep (we can call it "draining the depot", but really it'd be "caregiver sanity insurance"). Though, last time, he was high on the day cycle after a skip, and stayed high long enough to let you sleep in the night. Maybe he'll take mercy on you again if you were to skip now and get some additional shut-eye this morning.

Sheesh! This cat! What will he do next????

Beth 73 likes this.
  52. Beth 73

Ns
    Nan , Just seeing this . I may go for that no shoot ...may get a test in now just to see then go back to bed ...

53. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Oh Elmo. Just when we all thought you'd "calmed" the dramatics. You are determined to put Beth through the wringer! Great job everyone. Wonderful that Elmo earned yet another reduction:joyful: but wish he'd get his schedule turned around and do this during the day. :rolleyes:

Beth 73 likes this.
  54. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I know! I was so hoping that was going to happen after the last skip, but no such luck.

Beth 73 likes this.