9/22 Newman - AMPS 289, shot 2.0 fat, PMPS 209 Stalled got 238 okay to shoot 2.0 fat

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Linda and Newman, Sep 13, 2022.

1. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

FrostD likes this.
  2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Has he eaten any more since you posted?

3. Suzanne & Darcy

If it were me, I would wait a little longer to see if I could shoot the full dose. It’s almost 8 o’clock now. How long ago did you get the 215?

4. Suzanne & Darcy

You gave the full dose to Newman a few times before when he was in the low 200s (June). Once when he was at 1.75 units and once when he was on 2 units. Another time as well but it says FS - although maybe it wasn’t a fur shot because he had a nice blue that day.

5. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I got the 214 at 7:15.
    He did eat, but the normal amount which is about 2 tbsp. and then vomited. I don't think he should be too influenced by that small amount of food, especially since it was not on board for more than a few minutes.
    I agree with you. Right now he is out of sight. My son is still here, so I will get him to look under the beds. I will try to get a hold of him and test.
    Thanks

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  6. Suzanne & Darcy

I kind of thought he must’ve disappeared on you. I hope that he will be hungry.

7. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Okay, thanks for reminding me of those earlier lower numbers. You're right.

He came out from under my bed and I tested at 8:15, he is 231. I will go ahead and shoot the full 2.0 and then offer him a small amount of food, just as a precaution not to overload his tummy.

FrostD and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  8. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I will note this on his SS so the next time I have the reference.

9. Suzanne & Darcy

I do hope he will eat or graze this morning. Well done!

10. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Thanks again Suzanne. Sorry for the delay, I was trying to get things back on track here. You were my voice of reason.

He is already back for food, so I will dole it out in smaller portions just as a precaution.

11. Suzanne & Darcy

:bighug::bighug:
    :bighug::bighug:

Linda and Newman likes this.
  12. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

216, I was hoping for blue but we'll take it!

13. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I was expecting some nice blue numbers and the 216 was short lived at that. He is 253 @ +6.

I think going forward, I should treat that vomiting, which is really a regurgitation of his food immediately after eating, as a non event, a bump in the road. I don't think he has ever NOT come back to eat again within a very short time. Easy for me to say that now. The next time it happens I will be in a quandary again!

FrostD and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  14. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I
    Tend to agree, but wasn't that what happened the day he dropped into greens?

15. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Yes, he dropped into green @82 on 7/1 after having a vomiting episode at the morning meal. But, he also dropped into green @ 68 in the AM cycle on 8/22 with no evidence of vomiting. Other episodes during August and September did not seem to cause lower numbers. The only consistent is the occurrence immediately attached to eating. He either barfs into his bowl before he can walk away, or he gets a few feet away and he barfs. There are no other effects and he always comes back to eat again and I can't remember him not keeping that second feeding down. He has done this for as long as I can recall. I admit I was not watching as closely so I can't say for certain but it has definitely been for several years.

FrostD likes this.
  16. Suzanne & Darcy

How’s it going this morning, Linda?

17. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I guess as usual except I am cautiously feeding him smaller portions. Feeling a bit discouraged, but I suppose that is the nature of FD. He seems to feel well, going about his normal routine. He has been to the screened porch for a bit of sunbathing and critter watch and now he has returned to his perch on my desk, where he is fully stretched out for a nap. Of course, my desk top is arranged to accommodate. lol

How is your day going? How are your cats? Ginger?

18. Suzanne & Darcy

I would feel encouraged by his demeanor! He’s happy and feels well from what you say. Sounds like a good cat morning to me!

We are okay. Car broke down - so stuck at home (which is not bad for today - maybe I will get to that laundry pile!) But tomorrow is Ginger’s appointment with a cardiologist and it’s a two hour drive to north of Atlanta. So I’ve rented a car for that. I’m not going to give up my slot with the vet cardiologist since, if I cancel, their next appointment is late October. My cat William, who had a stroke (a fibrocartilaginous embolism) two weeks ago is almost completely back to normal! Cats are amazing survivors.

Linda and Newman and FrostD like this.
  19. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

You have your hands full. I hope that Ginger is a good traveler. I've had cats that don't mind at all and others that yowl the entire trip. Either way she is a lucky cat to be cared for to that extent and I wish you all the best they have to offer to help her. Update when you can.

Will you have someone to accompany you to help and simply keep you company?

Have a safe trip.

20. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I liked the 248 this morning but was somewhat marred by the vomiting delay. We seem back on track, so I hope the day goes well for all.

Suzanne & Darcy and FrostD like this.
  21. Suzanne & Darcy

I see blue :cool:

22. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

It seems a little late in the cycle for him to be still going down. Is this unusual? Is there anything I should know to be doing as to feeding or more testing?
    @Suzanne & Darcy
    @FrostD

ETA: Thinking about it for a minute, I don't really know if he is going down or on the way back up! I suppose I will just proceed as usual and feed his dinner, hold food for 2 hours and test to see what is what!
    Pleased to see the blue numbers, but don't know how to treat them! lol

Also I have noticed that he is sleeping more than usual today. He is eating his food and the treats for testing, but I do have to put it "under his nose" to get him interested.

Two hours after his dinner, he woke up and he is chasing his tail. He is messing with me!

So, I tested and got PMPS 230. I will let him eat more dinner if he wants it, as we usually do. I don't know what to shoot. Looking back I have shot a full dose on BG 250 and once on 237, so I guess if he eats more FF, I will shoot a full 2.0 units. Comments, please.

ETA: We ended up with BG 278 without additional food, so I gave him his food and shot the 2 units.
    Sorry for the saga.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
    Suzanne & Darcy and FrostD like this.
  23. Suzanne & Darcy

Don’t be sorry. You handled it well.

24. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Thank you.

I overslept this morning a little bit. He tested 216 so I waited and tested after 20 minutes and he was 217. I will go ahead and feed him, but I am worried about shooting a full 2 units. I will feed and see how that goes this morning and then decide.

Thanks for checking on us.

ETA: Fed him and gave him some time to be sure he was going to tolerate the food. He went under the bed, so I had to wait for him to come for a treat. I quickly tested him, probably got a food bump @ 274. I couldn't be more nervous to shoot the 2.0, but I told myself that any progress would be lost if I back down in anticipation. I will do my best to get spot checks today.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  25. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I thought yesterday was a pretty good day and when I got the 146 last night I thought we had made progress. I figured that I would continue the current 2 U. for another day to confirm that progress and then most likely increase.

Newman sleeps all day, but after dinner he wakes up and he is very present. He grooms and plays with Ozzie, and with his toy mousies and flingy toys. It is like he is two different cats!

Now this morning I get that 396. Is this a bounce? Should I hold the dose because of this higher number to get past a bounce? Do I increase now? I am so confused about what to do next and I'm confused because I don't understand why I can't figure this out at this point in Newman's treatment.

I don't even know what question I should be asking. Maybe a review of the SS ?

@FrostD
    @Suzanne & Darcy

26. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

He has been on 2U quite awhile, and I do wish his overall numbers would nudge down just a bit.

It's possible he saw something closer to 100-120 last night after that 146. So it's really up to your comfort level...an increase would hopefully help judge things down, but then of course.you have the risk of him going lower and not being able to get to him. Depending on your eyesight, a lot of people choose to do a "fat" dose, which isn't a full 0.25U increase, rather just a smidge past the current dose.

27. Suzanne & Darcy

I like the idea of the 2 f dose. I had been on the verge of suggesting a fat dose on a few occasions. What do you think about it, Linda.

Simply great job with testing.

FrostD and Linda and Newman like this.
  28. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I eyeballed a smidge as Melissa calls it, not even sure if it is fat but I can be consistent, and that works. I think it is a good idea. Thinking maybe stay there for a couple of three cycles and then go up if need be. He is definitely feeling better. He is again spending more time with us, and even playing with toys.

As to the testing, he often jumps up onto the desk while I am there, so I take advantage of those times for a quick test. Thank goodness he is that kind of a cat rather than one who needs to be chased down for testing. I truly lucked out there!

ETA: This has been sitting here all day. I neglected to hit post reply! I think sometimes I hit enter and move on.

29. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Would it be acceptable to fatten the morning dose, but keep the evening dose at 2U, since I am getting lower numbers overnight. (or so it seems)

@FrostD
    @Suzanne & Darcy

30. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I would try the 2f for a few days (both shots) to see how he does first

31. Suzanne & Darcy

I have done that on occasion. I write a reply and something happens to interrupt me and then it isn’t sent.

32. Suzanne & Darcy

Linda, did you put an f on your spreadsheet after the units -- so we know you shot a fat dose? I didn't see it yesterday. Haven't had time to look today yet.

33. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Tested at +11.5 got 214, waited 30 minutes and tested, got 209. Because he seems to go lower overnight compared to daytime cycle, I think I should reduce the dose for this evening.

Update: I stalled and retested at +12.5 and got 238. Shot current dose, 2.0 fat.

FrostD likes this.