9/22 Owen AMPS 403, +5 255, PMPS 264

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kyle & Simon (GA), Sep 22, 2022.

1. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Kyle & Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday
    Good morning. 403 this am. Maybe Owen is bouncing from an overnight low we missed, or still clearing the previous bounce? Bouncing at such a low dose has me questioning if he needs insulin at all?

Hope everyone is doing well.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Bounces can take 6 cycles and sometimes a little longer to clear. The amps might be the high signal that the bounce will clear today. I think he definitely needs insulin. If he were on TR he would not have earned a reduction. Cats that don’t need insulin are flat and green. The bouncing is because he’s not yet used to normal bg and his body panics.

Kyle & Simon (GA) likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

From the Basics sticky:

• Bouncing - Bouncing is simply a natural reaction to what the cat's system perceives as a BG value that is "too low". "Too low" is relative. If a cat is used to BGs in the 200's, 300's, or higher for a long time, then even a BG that drops to 150 can trigger a "bounce". Bouncing can also be triggered if the blood glucose drops too low and/or too fast.The pancreas, then the liver, release glucogon, glycogen and counter-regulatory hormones. The end result is a dumping of "sugar" into the bloodstream to save the cat from going hypoglycemic from a perceived low. The action is often referred to as "liver panic" or "panicky liver". *Usually*, a bounce will clear kitty's system within 3 days (6 cycles).

4. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Yes of course I know you are right. :) His numbers were not normal before we gave insulin so obviously he needs some help. Just a bit frustrated :(

5. tiffmaxee

You are one of the lucky ones whose cat got off steroids and went directly otj in weeks. It takes longer for most. Bounces are so frustrating. Then comes failed reductions in my opinion. :bighug:

6. Kyle & Simon (GA)

I think Kris is done testing for today. Hoping for some blues tomorrow :cool:

tiffmaxee likes this.