9/23 Bella's BG from 400 to 90 and back, dosing advice please

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Alicia2022, Sep 23, 2022.

1. Alicia2022

Alicia2022 Member

Help please, I’m confused. Bella’s numbers this week have been all over the place, from 400 to 90 and back. We skipped one shot and gave her a half of her usual dose (1.75 instead of 3.5 u) a couple of times. We can’t monitor her closely most of the days but can do more testing over the weekend. How can we figure out the best dose for her now? Her appetite has diminished significantly, and FF pate is her main diet now, with handful of dry GI food now and then. I’ll email our vet but may not get a call back till next week. I was actually thinking about switching her to Lantus but what if Prozinc finally started working for her?

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

You started the Adequan at the end of August? Wondering if you're seeing some results from that.

She's a little unpredictable, let's see how tonights dose does and go from there. 3.5 is definitely too high...the hope is you can find the same dose to shoot over 200. For now I would go a little more conservative when making dosing decisions, because something is happening here.

3. Alicia2022

Alicia2022 Member

Thank you, Melissa. Yes, maybe Adequan started working. Today will be the last day of Adequan's "loading dose " (4 weeks twice a week). Maybe something else is happening. We decided to shoot 2 units AM. That's a very weird feeling because we're kind a confident that 3.5 (at least!) is her dose and now we have to search for a new dose again.

FrostD likes this.
  4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Hmm. We don't usually see a huge difference from Adequan but it's totally possible it helped inflammation, she's feeling better, etc. Could also be the diet change shaking out.

I don't like to do a sliding scale very often, but for now that may be safest til we see where she settles. The 2U looks good above 300. I would 1.25U in the 200s range. For now, of course.

Those are some steep drops early on. We may want to think about using slightly higher carbs early in the cycle to help slow that and prevent more bouncing. When does she get the dry food?

Alicia2022 likes this.
  5. Alicia2022

Alicia2022 Member

Thank you, Melissa. I wonder if Bella settles around 2 u. As for the dry food, she has it always available because she is one of those cats who only eat a few kibbles at a time and leave the rest for the next session. Per day, she now eats maybe 1/5 of the amount she used to eat before her diagnosis.

FrostD likes this.
  6. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it!

Some of the wonkiness might just be her choosing to eat it at inopportune times. Id suggest removing that after nadir if you can.

Alicia2022 likes this.