9/26 Chino|AMPS=255|+9=50|PMPS=121|+3=351|+4=335

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Adrian and Chino, Sep 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrian and Chino

Adrian and Chino Well-Known Member

Last post: 9/24

Work has been much busier than usual lately. I spent most of yesterday catching up on what I missed from last Thursday/Friday and spent most of today trying to put out fires. At +6, Chino's BG was higher than it usually is at that time. I couldn't get a +8, so I got a +9, and it was 50! Just when I think I'm starting to learn his Levemir patterns, they change. On Lantus, he would start dropping slowly, then rapidly speed up. (That's why I fed at +5 yesterday when I didn't need to.) On Levemir, he usually drops very quickly but slows down steadily as the cycle progresses... except on the days when he doesn't, like today. :banghead:

I'm also not very fond of these inconsistent nadirs, but at least he has a nadir on every cycle (unlike Lantus).

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good catch on the +9. :D Neko on Lev also did her faster drops first, then slowed down. I am definitely seeing more green on Chino's SS on Lev.:) I found the first month after the switch frustrating as I had to learn new patterns again.

3. Jadi & Tiffany

Jadi & Tiffany Member

Hi Adrian,

I noticed that you are not giving the Cabergoline or tapering off. Can I ask what made you decide it wasn't working? I have been giving it to Tiff for a week now and starting to see lower numbers, but I know that does not necessarily mean it is working. Also, forgive me for not knowing this, but everything at your house is okay after the hurricane?

4. Adrian and Chino

He was started on the higher of the 2 dose options used in the RVC trial. It was an ironic coincidence that he earned a reduction on the first day. I reduced by more than I should've and had to take his dose even higher than before to try to get his BG back under control, which didn't happen until we switched to Levemir. I didn't see any evidence that the cabergoline was helping. (In the South America study discussed here, all 3 cats showed an improvement in the first 4 weeks, even though they were only getting it once every 72 hours.) I hope it works for Tiffany! :bighug:

5. Jadi & Tiffany

Jadi & Tiffany Member

Thank you!! This is a weird question, but I have not experienced this yet. How does one's fur baby earn a reduction?

6. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

A dip into the lime greens on your spreadsheet (or "action number"). For you, it looks like you're using the AlphaTrek, so that would be below 68. Orrrr, a week long stretch of gorgeous greens (like our "model" FD kitty China).

Some kitties who are "long term" diabetics will do reductions after a dose brings kitty below their action number 3 times. (So usually ones who have been on insulin for over a year.)

7. Adrian and Chino

On 9/08, he tested 57 on the AlphaTrak2 (50 on the human meter), though it could've been a false low because 30 minutes earlier, he tested 54 on the human meter and 89 on the AlphaTrak2. I also reduced his dose 3 cycles after switching to Levemir even though he didn't go below 50, since I was having to test/feed HC every 30 minutes for 3-4 hours just to keep him out of danger for 2 days in a row.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.