9/28 Elmo AMPS HI , PMPS 383,+1 381,+2 338 +3 221,+4 204,+5 155 , +6 154,+7 119,+8 87, +9. 89

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Beth 73, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Good morning:bighug: Elmo ate well overnight but is testing high this AM . Should we go back to 1 unit ? Sending love and prayers to all in need .

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  2. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I would hold at 0.75U. His depot is wacky due to the no shots. Until you can shoot 6 cycles at 0.75U you don't know what he can do on that dose.

Good morning :bighug:

Beth 73 likes this.
  3. Beth 73

Good morning, Lizzie ❤️ Yep, he has no where to go but down.....SLOWLY ....gave different food cos turning up his nose at Holistic Select ...gave Weruva Paw Lickin Chicken 3c/196 phos.....ate it well overnight ....still seeing a few hummy stragglers headed for Houston and you ,Lizzie❤️

4. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Good morning Beth and Elmo! :bighug:
    Hope you have a wonderful day, and Elmo heads back to the lagoon soon!

Beth 73 likes this.
  5. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Good morning Beth, I was looking at Elmo’s ss and was wondering why you took him down to .75
    Bring it on down there Elmo, we want to see some greens

Beth 73 likes this.
  6. Beth 73

Jamie, after his deep , swift dives in PM cycle I was advised by experienced folks to take him down to .75 in attempt to slow these dives down . We shall see as Elmo continues to be his own special case study :bighug: See PM condo from 9/25 to morning 9/26.....

Bellasmom and Suzanne Burton like this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Reducing the dose isn’t the way to stop the dives. Getting him used to lower numbers so he doesn’t bounce and have a long way to drop, not skipping shots, and using food to manage the curve are how you slow the dives. Plus being careful how many carbs you give after nadir, which reduces duration and gives higher preshots. Taking reductions early just means he stays higher, and doesn’t get used to normal numbers.

Having said all that, you’ve got a couple cycles of 0.75 units in there. Get to six cycles and then see if you need to increase. Getting some insulin in him to build the depot is better than a higher dose and skipping shots.

8. Suzanne Burton

Suzanne Burton Well-Known Member

Good morning Beth and Elmo. It looks like our boys are letting us get a bit of well-deserved sleep. I hope Elmo gets his appetite in full gear so you can see what the 0.75U is going to do. Hope you have a blessed day.

Beth 73 likes this.
  9. Beth 73

T
    Thanks, Suzanne:bighug: His appy is great today so that's good news !!! Praying you find LTs " sweet spot" that works for him with minimal effort on you and DHs part . My DH is such a help too ...very supportive which means the world from a guy who swore he'd never have indoor cats ❤️

10. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Elmo, what are you doing today?

I'm glad he's eating and otherwise doing well today, but c'mon dude, those numbers!

Btw, you have "PMPS" in your subject ;).

Beth 73 likes this.
  11. Beth 73

:bighug:

12. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

Yes, it looks like you have to start shooting low and monitor, but you already do that anyway! It's scary, but he needs his insulin.

Sonia & Leo and Beth 73 like this.
  13. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Ok thanks, I was just wondering, I hope the decrease works:bighug:

Beth 73 likes this.
  14. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

May I ask who these experienced folks were that advised that you reduce the dose to control the dives? I was told because Luci is also a diver - big time (Look at her SS for her big dives)...that I was to 'feed the curve'...to try to avoid the drops - never to change or skip the dose. I'm just wondering if perhaps you misunderstood????

It's really looking to me like he's not getting enough insulin ... and will need an increase soon.

Beth 73 and Bellasmom like this.
  15. Nan & Amber (GA)

Hi Sue--

The motivation for the skips isn't so much a theory of "less insulin to stop the dives," it's more trying to back off a bit so that Caregiver Beth can manage the dives without sacrificing her own health. Elmo has had a pattern of going from high numbers down to greens-- good greens! dark greens! but still...-- during the nighttime, during which he requires steady administration of carbs to stay away from sharks. His spreadsheet looks good during those times, but it hides a lot of work and sacrifice of sleep. The skips have generally come at times when Elmo is looking good, maybe even ready for an experiment in shooting low, but Beth is exhausted, and it's not worth the risk to shoot then. Hopefully soon he'll give another low pre-shot on a day when it's feasible to shoot. Wendy also had a suggestion of trying at least a partial dose on rough days after an all-nighter, rather than a full skip, and I think that's a good idea.

The other thing is, we've been hoping that at some point, these skips messing with the depot will disrupt Elmo's patterns enough that he might start acting up during the daytime for a change, which would be much easier to deal with! Among other things, the board is often very quiet these days during US nighttime-- @Bron and Sheba (GA) has been doing yeoman's work during these times, but it's hard to ask her to be on-call every night (her day) in case of an emergency.

So, with all of this, several of us have advised backing off a bit on dose. Elmo is definitely showing some positive signs of getting used to good numbers, spending more time there. Personally, I'm pretty confident that "shoot low to stay low" is going to work like a charm for him in the near future, it's just a matter of getting him to do it on days when monitoring is easy, as least for the first few times!

16. Nan & Amber (GA)

Also, with respect to "feeding the curve"-- yep, Elmo's been getting both LC and MC early in the curve on cycles when he's starting to drop, but he doesn't appear to be very carb-sensitive, and again, it's been pretty labor-intensive. It's probably saved him from the sharks a few times, at least, but he usually still bounces high afterwards anyway, starting the cycle again.

17. Sue and Luci

Hi Amber - I suppose only time will tell. I remember the exhaustion well...we've all been there. Let's hope that he does improve in the future...in the meantime the high numbers certainly aren't good for Elmo...and since this isn't his first rodeo it may take a herculean effort to get him back into good numbers...which in this last month hasn't been happening...

I'm in full agreement that 'shoot low to say low' needs to be applied - even if it's a token dose - but skipping doses is just extending the issues with his organs...and his deprivation of nutrition which we all know just leads to a more difficult road for healing.

18. Beth 73

I will add since this is our second time thru this ( first time on vetsulin) that Elmo did not back then or is he now a typical cat on insulin. He is in need of tweeks that would otherwise not be used with the average cat. Added to this are some family situations I’ve been dealing with that necessitate I get some sleep to deal with.... I am currently filling the role of family matriarch on my side as well as co matriarch on my DH. While I will always do what is best for sweet Elmo I also have other great family demands that I must balance out with. And yes, I owe Bron @Bron and Sheba (GA) a huge debt of gratitude ...she has stayed with us for hours not once but TWICE, sacrificing her day for my night. I trust her ,and those who have been with us ,implicitly but am open to hearing other opinions . After all, we all are here for the betterment of our kitties and our own health as well :) Thankful beyond words for the love, time, experienced help that has and will continue to undergird us as we do this Elmo’s way :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Sonia & Leo and Nan & Amber (GA) like this.
  19. Sue and Luci

I appreciate that - we all have multiple issues that we have to deal with on a daily basis...demanding jobs, elderly parents, illnesses, surgeries, financial obstacles...just to name a few...we're all doing the best we can...and if you look at any SS...you'll see the same pattern develop...lots of late nights...yes, the dreaded late night up/down, check, nap, up/down again...and sleep deprived people the next day having to pick up where they left off with the (see above list).....just to name a few...

20. Beth 73

Added to the above is the fact that in the middle of all this we had to have our sweet civvie Chris put to sleep. It has been a hard, long week that I shared with a few because it was too difficult at that time to share with all. So , loss of 16 year old dear kitty on top of several nights of NO sleep has necessitated tweaks.That added to Elmo's almost unstoppable diving . If anyone cares to read thru these all nighter condos you will see Elmo is not carb sensitive and it takes intense effort to keep him steady .....he literally dives, not slides and at times almost cannot be stopped. Please feel free to check out the alll nighter condos to see what it has taken to keep him from hypo....and the nearest emergency vet is 45 minutes away so the buck stops right here with me and those so gracious to give of their time to help us thru this. I am indebted to each and every name you will see on those marathon condos. ❤️❤️❤️

LizzieInTexas and Suzanne Burton like this.
  21. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sorry to hear about civvie Chris. :bighug::bighug:

Neko once did a streak of three months diving at night (and earning reductions) and bouncing during the day. I tried everything, and I do mean everything, to try to change the pattern. I was exhausted. Nothing worked, though eventually switching to Lev made it easier on me cause she was more flat and predictable. Back on Lantus with the night time drops and late nadirs, I carbed her up her up pretty heavy, so I could at least get a three hour nap between tests. It is better to preserve the depot and run them a little higher with carbs, than to skip. Nothing wrong with using Karo and/or 20+% carbs food for that purpose. You can’t continue testing every hour every night.

I am hoping by shooting at least some insulin, when there is a good chance he’ll bounce, you will gather the data and confidence to eventually shoot full dose.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  22. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

@Bellasmom @Sue and Luci @Wendy&Neko
    I just wanted to clarify I was the one who suggested reducing the dose, not to stop the diving but because Beth had skipped 3 doses in 4 days, which I said at the time.
    I thought it was better to reduce the dose to see if she was able to shoot both cycles at 0.75 instead of having to skip and hopefully break the cycle of having a low cycle and Preshot, then a high cycle after skipping. And hopefully this would also stabilise the depot.

23. Beth 73

:bighug:Bron, :bighug: there are not words to thank you for all your advice, wisdom, tons of time spent with Elmo and I . When I would see you come on the Board in the middle of the night ( your day) I knew the Cavalry had arrived :bighug::) And knew I was not alone . You are awesome ❤️ @Bron and Sheba (GA)

24. Bron and Sheba (GA)

@Beth 73 I am so sorry you had to let civvie Chris go. That must have been so hard for you with everything else going on and no sleep:bighug:
    RIP Chris:rb_icon:cat_wings>o

Beth 73 likes this.
  25. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Thanks Beth. I am always happy to help.
    I am just one of many..... this is such a super community.

26. Beth 73

Yes , it is ... do not know what I would do without Team Elmo :bighug:❤️

27. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry about Chris. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Elmo is a unique kitty and there have been circumstances where we have recommended a reduced dose or a skipped shot to keep Elmo safe and allow Beth to get some sleep. Each cat is different and sometimes we have to change things to help a certain kitty. That being said, Wendy's suggestion to give some insulin instead of skipping is a good idea if it is possible at the time. Hopefully soon Beth will be able to give Elmo consistent dosing and keep him in safe numbers.

28. Beth 73

Thank you, Bron :bighug: We have had to let a fur baby a year go up until last two years . For some reason this one has hurt my heart especially . My son found he and his brother , Ben, as tiny kittens someone had dumped in a ditch . The brothers have been inseparable for these 16 years . Such sweet , gentle boys . I'm sad for Ben too ...he has been getting tons of extra attention this week:bighug:

29. Beth 73

Amen , Carla and thank you for your early morning care after Bron has taken the all nighter night shift. You all are the most selfless , caring people I've ever met ❤️. How you do all you do amazes me ...to me you truly are a Super Bean ❤️

30. Beth 73

PMPS 383....eating on his own ( Elmo has never been able to be accused of being a chow hound :)).....ketones negative :rolleyes:.... watching and cheering on St Louis Cardinals vs Chicago Cubs after watching his Alabama Crimson Tide trounce Ole Miss....he’s a happy camper :)

31. Beth 73

Thinking +1 check and snack ? +1 snack only ? Try to slow any possible drop ....Wendy had good idea for fast droppers to make sure food on board early in cycle so we shall give it a try .

32. Suzanne Burton

I am sorry for the loss of your longtime kitty, Chris. Our furry friends are truly like family.

On a different note, LT says to check the mail. He is sending some of his oversensitivity to carbs to g'pa.

Beth 73 likes this.
  33. Beth 73

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Lovin’ our Colorado Brother ❤️ Please have LT add in prayers for Slow Slide skills to his bro too ;)

34. Nan & Amber (GA)

I'd get the +1, to get the lay of the land tonight. It's hard with the "HI" readings, you don't know where he's been dropping from!

Beth 73 likes this.
  35. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Aawww Beth, I am so, so sorry for your loss :bighug::bighug:.

You have to do what is best for you and Elmo. Only you know the whole "story". I know that there were times I felt pressure to push the numbers/dose and I wish I had listened to myself (and situation) more.

Bron and Sheba (GA) and Beth 73 like this.
  36. Beth 73

And that is why we are buddies, sweet Lizzie ❤️ Been thinking ab and praying for your aunt and you :bighug:

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  37. Beth 73

Great minds thinkin' alike , Nan :bighug: I did as Wendy suggested and gave him a snack with his shot . Will prob give another snack at + 1 ....the night is young and we've turned off baseball ... it's slow enough to watch even when they're winning but when they're choking big time , not so much :banghead:

38. Beth 73

+1 381 .....I'd call that a slow slide , huh? ;) Still gonna give little 2 C LC .....we do so talk in our own lingo don't we :joyful: Next check +2

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  39. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Beth, I was so sad to read that despite everything going on with Elmo you had to deal with saying goodbye to Chris. I'm so very sorry. :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Healing and comfort vines to you and your family. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Beth 73 likes this.
  40. Beth 73

Thank you , Sonia :bighug: Not a fun week for sure :(

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  41. Beth 73

+ 2 338... who would have thought that surfing in the 300s would be so nice :) 1 t 2LC given ...test at +3

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  42. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Beth I am so sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you

Beth 73 likes this.
  43. Beth 73

Thank you, Diane :bighug: Our furbabies , canine and feline , usually live to 20 or very near . Losing him at 16 is young around here. He and we fought hard but it was time to let him go . Miss our sweet boy :bighug:

44. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

What a sin. I’m so sorry to hear about Chris. Geeze when it rains it pour! I’m glad you took the reduction so you can get somewhat of a break

I’m glad Elmo is back into measurable numbers

Beth 73 likes this.
  45. Beth 73

+ 3. 221 ..... 100 point ish drop ....1 t LC plus 1/2 t MC ....testing at + 4 ....dis here cat , he loves him some testing !!!! If I don't test every hour here at first he can sneak past ...so far the drop was slow ...now we gotta put a little breaks on this roll ...

46. Beth 73

Thanks , Amanda :bighug: He did things his own way 3 years ago and he's doing it again ! Linda has been with us for both rodeos ! :bighug:

AmandaE likes this.
  47. Nan & Amber (GA)

Hit the brakes, Elmo!

Beth 73 likes this.
  48. Nan & Amber (GA)

Hope he does a shallow dive tonight, Beth. I'm hopeful so far! If he looks to have other plans at +4, I'd be inclined to carb him up big-time and try to put a stop to things that way.

Beth 73 likes this.
  49. Beth 73

Nan, what approximate numbers constitute a surf ?.. I understand that a 100 point drop like we just had constitutes action/ intervention but what amount of drop should be left alone ?

50. Beth 73

Yes yes. .... 20 more minutes and all will be revealed :rolleyes: I’m believing for a slow , shallow dive....it’s just so wonderful to not see HI or black ... getting to where I detest black:mad:

51. Beth 73

Define your meaning of “ carb him up big time “? You know him , you know how he reacts to carbs ...what does carbing Elmo up look like Guardian Angel Nan ?

52. Nan & Amber (GA)

I don't know that I'd want to set hard-and-fast rules on this, but <50pts I'd usually let ride, 100pts I'd usually intervene, depending on the situation. In Elmo's case, the +3 is often when he really plummets, so with "just" 100pts and still in yellow I'm actually somewhat less worried at this stage and am hopeful he'll level out in the blues somewhere and have a nice night.

But I'd still feed at this stage, as you did, because he's shown he needs that.

At least straight MC, maybe even some HC if you have some with staying power (i.e. this is not the time for karo). Whatever will provide a big boost without (hopefully) causing the tummy gurgles.

53. Beth 73

Thanks for general guidelines, Nan:bighug: Have learned one thing for sure and that is if needed I should use honey and not Karo ...Karo made him pukus:bookworm:

54. Beth 73

+4....204 ...not bad by Elmo standards !!!! I shall do a jig on my way to the kitchen for his MC snack !! Looking good this far !!! Gave 1 t MC ...next test + 5

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  55. Nan & Amber (GA)

Hooray!

OK, I am going to go to bed now. If he's planning something, he is hiding it well tonight!

Give Elmo another scritch from me for being such a good boy! :cat:

Beth 73 likes this.
  56. Beth 73

Thanks Nan :bighug: I have Bron on speed dial but I believe her method worked with Elmo ! Nighty night and sweet dreams :bighug:

57. Beth 73

+5......155....( 49 point drop).....Giving 1 t MC 14 .....next test +6.... praise God , just realized I'm only having to test each hour instead of each half hour ....woooo. Hoooo!!!

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  58. Suzanne Burton

Elmo, Elmo, Elmo...…...I see you and LT are having a slumber party tonight.

Beth 73 likes this.
  59. Beth 73

+6....154.....hmmmm, that’s nice ....think I’ll try half LC half MC....living on the wild side here...next test +7

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Suzanne Burton likes this.
  60. Suzanne Burton

Beth, please check out Chris' (of Chris and China) post on my page.

Beth 73 likes this.
  61. Beth 73

:woot: :woot: :woot:......it’s the frat boys bad influences,that’s what !!!!

62. Beth 73

So glad you alerted me , Suzanne ....Chris lives ab an hour north of us .....she will always be very special to us as she was the first person I met on this board, in the middle of the night during a almost hypo when I knew nothing ab diabetes. She helped save Elmo’s life that night . She is selfless and tireless in her help . Big prayers going out to she and her mom❤️

Suzanne Burton likes this.
  63. Suzanne Burton

LT is on the rise and I'm off to bed. I hope Elmo does the same, so you to can hit the hay. Night, night sweet Beth.

Beth 73 likes this.
  64. Beth 73

Night night to you, sweet Suzanne out there in gorgeous God’s country ❤️

65. Beth 73

@Bron and Sheba (GA) Hi Bron :bighug: Getting ready in 15 to take +7 ...could you take a look at his numbers and let me know your opinion , please ...safe for bed or one more test and what food to leave out ???

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  66. Beth 73

+7 ...119....guess that answers that....at +6 I gave LC with 1/2 t MC....was holding steady when giving just MC....now what ? We don’t want him any lower do we ??? Or attempt to carb him up ( whatever that means with Elmo).....is this cat nadir less?

67. Bron and Sheba (GA)

So he’s dropped from 154 to 119. Is that right?
    I’d be inclined to just give him LC and see what happens.
    Remember you know him best.
    What do you think.?
    He’s quite safe

68. Beth 73

yes he dropped from 154 to 119 when I gave him LC with smidge if MC...had been holding steady atjust MC and dropped when went to LC ....how much lower should we let him get ???

69. Beth 73

Just trying to not allow to go too low in order to shorten any bounce tomorrow ...what say you ? :)

70. Beth 73

And to keep from having an NS tomorrow AM

71. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I can see your reasoning about not wanting another bounce.
    What I would do next time is just feed how you normally would ( no higher carbs except maybe in the beginning to slow the initial drop) and see how low the 0.75 units is taking him without being propped up with carbs. Having to feed higher carbs all the time is not ideal and he might even need less insulin...... just my opinion.

Beth 73 likes this.
  72. Beth 73

I like that ....for now feed what then ? To stop bounce and hopefully prevent NS ?

73. Bron and Sheba (GA)

For this cycle keep doing what you have been doing.
    And think about trying what I suggested. We don’t want him to drop too low but if he does then it means he needs a reduction if he drops under 50.
    If it works then hopefully the cycles will be less dramatic
    Back in 5 mins. My kookaburras are waiting to be fed before dark

74. Beth 73

How awesome !! Kookaburras !!! That is so cool Bron :)

75. Beth 73

Just gave ab 1 1/2 just LC ...should I add in the MC or leave off ?? And can you discern his nadir ??

76. Beth 73

This next time you suggest not propping with carbs except initial drop ...do you mean after that initial drop don't feed any food , not even LC and see how low .75 takes him ?

77. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It’s hard to predict the nadir when he’s being given higher carb foods during the cycle.
    For this cycle you feed what you are most comfortable with.

Beth 73 likes this.
  78. Bron and Sheba (GA)

No. As a trial I would feed him some higher carbs early in the cycle to stop a big drop at onset then I would just feed him normal low carb food that he would normally get.
    Obviously if he drops low you would need to intervene but until he dropped low I would just feed low carb so we can see how the insulin is working in his body. Does that make sense?

Beth 73 likes this.
  79. Beth 73

I'll get a + 8 ....depending what +8 is would it be safe to sleep a bit ??

80. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Poor you!
    Let’s see what +8 is

Beth 73 likes this.
  81. Beth 73

Yes it does...thanks once again Bron for your wisdom :bighug:

82. Bron and Sheba (GA)

My kookaburra family

EDE2062A-30A0-4658-93E5-DA39A3C6BAE9.jpeg

83. Beth 73

Ahhhh, sleep is overrated anyway :rolleyes: Haven't pulled this many all nighters since college :woot:

84. Beth 73

Oh my goodness ...they are awesome !!' What do they eat when you feed them ???

85. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I think the trial is worth a go and hopefully you might get more sleep if it works

Beth 73 likes this.
  86. Beth 73

Are those babies ???

87. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I feed them chicken necks. One each. They are quite big birds. They come late every afternoon

88. Beth 73

That is fabulous ! Thank you, Bron , for the photo !

89. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Those ones are all babies. They live in family groups and the older siblings also hunt for food for the young as well.
    After a few years the teenagers move on. The mum and dad stay and also the last couple of years babies. We have between 6 and 12 depending on the time of year.

Beth 73 likes this.
  90. Beth 73

How fun is that !! We love feeding our birds here too. The hummingbirds are headed south for winter and the last stragglers from up north are at the feeders this week. Soon they will be gone for the season .

91. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I’m just cutting up Harry and Clovers dinner. Harry always sits on the sideboard and supervises! He knows he’s in trouble if his foot gets on 0188C2AD-A2B0-47FE-9A74-85A48D06ADA9.jpeg the bench.

92. Beth 73

:joyful: He is adorable !!!

93. Bron and Sheba (GA)

He is! Very affectionate.

94. Beth 73

Bron , you are a Super Momma Bean :bighug:❤️ Harry truly is a beautiful cat ❤️. Are he and Clover siblings ??

95. Beth 73

You must have a super understanding family to give this much time to helping us on the Board .❤️ Please tell them thank you from me :)

96. Beth 73

15 more minutes til test time ....4 AM here

97. Bron and Sheba (GA)

No not siblings but both the same age and both came at 6 months. Clover is actually my daughters cat but she spends 16 hours every day with me and I feed her all her food.

Beth 73 likes this.
  98. Bron and Sheba (GA)

My DH is very good. There have been occasions when we’ve had kitties running super low and dinner has been hours late and he never says anything. I’m lucky.

carfurby (GA) and Beth 73 like this.
  99. Bron and Sheba (GA)

4am! You can’t keep doing this.
    We need to get Elmo sorted somehow.

Beth 73 likes this.
  100. Beth 73

+8....87 ...32 point drop ...what now ???