9/3/20 Sissy AMPS 228, +2 173, +3.5 135, +9.5 134, pmps 104

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mandy S, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

Just did Sissy's PMPS...new pre shot low...104 and not sure what to do. I haven't fed, think I'm supposed to stall and retest. Reading in the sticky...if below 150 don't give insulin. It says if I have flexibility I can stall for 30-60 min to see if the numbers go up to a number that is shootable...so I'm holding for now.
    I was gone most of the day with an issue with my grandmother. My 13 year old took care of testing today..kept food out for her and called me with numbers. Sissy just ate some food at +8, not a lot...but some. Then we picked up the bowl. She's been acting like she wants food asap the last 2 hours...I felt bad for her.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

You switched to SLGS? Looks like not increasing was the right call.

3. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

Yes, for sure.

I added more to the first post, was editing when you replied. Is holding for 30-60 minutes what I should do to see if she rises?

4. tiffmaxee

You didn’t feed, right? Get another test to see if going up. How off schedule can you be?

5. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I did not feed, didn't even give her a treat. I can be off quite a bit at the moment because it's a holiday weekend...so I can back track us if I need too.

6. tiffmaxee

So test 20 minutes after last test. You could also feed and test in 2 hours to see if you can shoot.

7. tiffmaxee

The problem was stalling too long and not eating is it might go down more. So after this test I think it’s decision time.

8. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

Oh my goodness. She didnt get her treat so she went by the back door and is now totally ignoring me while I talk to her asking her to come back for a test. Lol

Oh...there's an acknowledgment. Lol.

Attached Files:

Kyle & Simon (GA) likes this.
  9. tiffmaxee

You can give a treat!

10. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

She's at 130 right now.

11. tiffmaxee

So going up but not over 150. What do you think? Feed and wait two hours, shoot a 25% dose or skip? With SLGS you feed and decide in 2 hours or skip.

12. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

We usually shoot at 10...maybe wait to see what she's doing at 10:30? I don't know if I want to be 2 hours off.

I hate to skip all together, but I'm a chicken about shooting low...so maybe a lower dose. I honestly don't know what I should do, I'll think on it for a few minutes.

13. tiffmaxee

It’s hard because you were doing TR. Read SLGS again. She does need to eat. I guess you could do one more test and if not over 150 then feed.

Mandy S likes this.
  14. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

Okay, I'll read it.

She's only 126. So do I just give her the regular amount...and just not shoot tonight?

15. tiffmaxee

By regular amount you mean food?

16. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

Oh, yes, regular amount of her dinner.

17. tiffmaxee

Yes. The count starts over until the next curve in a week. Have a nice evening.

18. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

By the count you mean cycles at this dose? It says in the slgs that if you skip a dose you should test ketones...I have strips but haven't used them..is it okay to dip them in the cat litter?
    Thanks for your help!

19. tiffmaxee

Sorry to say I never tested for ketones. It needs to be dipped in urine and for a specific amount of time. Read the jar.

20. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I did...I thought I had read here that people do put it in the litter. I'll just search and see if I can find what I read.

Thanks again.

Kyle & Simon (GA) likes this.
  21. tiffmaxee

Please take off the stalling since you made a decision. The strip can be dipped in the urine in the box. I did that with a glucose strip. I out Saran Wrap over the litter. My strips tested for both glucose and ketones.

22. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Side note for next time, the "don't shoot below 150" is for new people until they have some data. If you keep reading the SLGS description for lower preshots, there's a section that starts With experience, you may find that lowering these thresholds may work well for your cat.

23. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I just read over it again and I did see that. Would you consider the information we have on Sissy to be enough to lower it? How do you know the amount to lower and the amount to shoot?

24. Wendy&Neko

It's a comfort level thing. You've shot 149 and lots of upper blues and have data how that went. Would you be comfortable shooting 20 points lower? It also depends if you can monitor that cycle, have plenty of test strips and high carb food, just in case. You can always try a half dose next time and see what happens - provided you can monitor. All data is good data.

Typically lower preshots just means flatter cycles. You probably aren't there yet, but eventually people following SLGS with the data and experience to do so, can shoot as low as 90.

25. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I think if I was able to be here to monitor or didn't have to be up the next morning I think i could shoot 10 lower. In hindsight, I sort of wish I had given her something. I know when she had a fur shot and missed a dose it really messed with her a few days after.

26. Wendy&Neko

No worries, think of it as an experiment. That's how you learn what works for Mandy.

Mandy S likes this.
  27. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

Thank you for reframing it for me. That makes me feel better.

28. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

And WAY TO GO 13 YEAR OLD!!

Critter Mom and tiffmaxee like this.