? 9/3 Phoebe AMPS 21.7, +4 16.7, +8 17.1, PMPS 24.1

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by CJG890, Sep 2, 2020.

1. CJG890

CJG890 New Member

Looking for advice - Phoebe has been really consistent in his numbers since we reduced by .25 (2.75 u of Lantus). His bg is still high but he is not having the fluctuations as he previously did with the 3u. Is it better to be keeping level numbers? Does it matter if his bg fluctuates? I wonder what scenario is better for his overall health and wellbeing.

Just wondering if we should be trying 3u again? I did a curve today for the vet and of course - figures he is higher than he had been in weeks. We had to cut back on the multiple tests in a day as it was getting to costly. What triggers the ups and downs? He is only on FF food although he does go outside and brings us the odd mouse :(.
    He was pretty quiet today.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Waving Hi from B.C. The convention on this forum is to post numbers in mg/dL or the US version of numbers. The message board is hosted in the US and more people here are from the US, so you'll get more help with those BG numbers posted that way.

However, I speak Canadian. :) Your goal and focus should be on getting Phoebe to spend more time in healthy healing numbers, which is those blues and greens on the spreadsheet. As he gets used to normal numbers, he won't bounce so high to those "hard on his body" high numbers. You did get down to 79 once on this dose. Have you decided which dosing method you'd like to follow? If following Start Low Go Slow (just guessing by looking at the spreadsheet), he earned a reduction down to 2.5 units.

Is there any chance you get get a before bed test at night? Many cats go lower at night. We determine how to change the Lantus dose based on how low it takes the cat, hence needing to see what those night time numbers look like. I rather suspect you are missing some of the lower numbers. Any day (or night) that you can get a spot check between the preshots will be very helpful.

Here is the link to your last post here - which we ask people to include for continuity: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/8-19-phoebe-amps-13-1-5-4-5-9-5-5-pmps-10-6.233852/

3. CJG890

CJG890 New Member

9:30 is my before bed test at night.. lol!!
    Seemed like today was higher than it had been. The bg strips are expensive so we had to cut down on the multiple reading in a day, occasionally is ok but not daily.

Our vet prescribed 3U and we did at first (before I started the spreadsheet) but found his numbers all over, hence the reduction to 2.75 but now that he seems fairly consistenly in the pink, I am wondering if I should consider going back to 3U.

4. Wendy&Neko

It was just over a week ago he got down to 47 on a 2.75 unit dose. 3.0 units got him down to even lower at 40. Increasing is not the way to go. I'd take that reduction. I'm thinking he's going lower when you aren't testing, then what you are seeing is bouncing.

What time is preshot time? Any chance you can back it up a bit so your before bed is at least a +2?

5. CJG890

CJG890 New Member

We are 7:30 am and 7:30 pm.. the before bed was at 9:30 (+2).

6. CJG890

CJG890 New Member

I'll get a few midday tests over the next couple of days. I was feeling that based on the curve that he was being consistent and not bouncing as he had between Aug 18-22nd.
    So no increase.

7. Wendy&Neko

Good to get even those +2's. If they are quite a bit lower than the preshot, it means an active cycle and can tell us if he's seeing lower numbers.