9/4 Naomi AMPS skipped dose +26 203, +4 145

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Yanna, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Yanna

Yanna Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...se-pmps-112-7-117-10-110.234539/#post-2626822

Naomi is still not eating. I syringe feed her. Her lab results today have not improved apart from the CREA.

We're going to the vet tomorrow for cerenia injection. I don't know how to help her.

She had a cerenia injection today and a tagamet injection for her stomach. Do I still need to give her the Zofran PM dose?

Do you think subqs would help?
    Vet said maybe it's not a good idea because the constant pokes may cause her wounds that won't be able to heal due to her diabetes.

Her CREA is 3.5, slightly improved.

Saturday and Sunday I'm not working. Can I give her the AM insulin? 3.75?

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I don’t completely agree with your vet. You can shoot insulin in the flank or tummy. The sub-q can be anywhere in the saddle back area. So you can vary where both are administered. She’s not at the point where daily fluids should be needed but until she starts eating wellit will keep her hydrated. Dehydration is another assault on the kidneys. Skip the ondansetron I think to see if the injection does anything. It usually works better than the pills. It stings so let her be the bad guy. I couldn’t give those injections because when I did once for each cat it clearly stung.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  3. Yanna

Yanna Member

She meant the constant pokes for the subqs. Even if I alternate sides there is a risk for wounds he said. But I've seen other members here have given fluids to their cats.

I'll ask again tomorrow.

Shall I give her the morning dose tomorrow and on Sunday?

4. tiffmaxee

Looks like no insulin in last three days and she’s still in pretty good numbers. All depends on how she is doing and the numbers. Are you off for the weekend?

5. Yanna

Yanna Member

Yes

6. tiffmaxee

I think we need to see what’s happening then. I don’t think a full dose if still in these numbers.

7. Yanna

Yanna Member

Naomi's back legs are really weak. She jumps on beds and chairs, but when she walks it's like she loses her balance. Is it neuropathy because of diabetes or CKD causes that? She's on zobaline for about a month but I haven't seen any improvement

8. Yanna

Yanna Member

Do you think I should decrease? Her AM dose is in 5 hours

9. tiffmaxee

Could be. Are you giving Zobaline?

10. tiffmaxee

Yes. Just don’t know by how much. Let me see who is around for more eyes.

Yanna likes this.
  11. Yanna

Yanna Member

Started about 25 days ago

12. Yanna

Yanna Member

13. tiffmaxee

I think you should get some sleep. Shot time will be 7 p.m. here.I would like to see if anybody else responds and how well she is doing by then.

14. tiffmaxee

Definitely neuropathy.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  15. Yanna

Yanna Member

She was standing at these photos. Was eating I I think. When she walks her back legs are straight not so bended as in the photos. But loses balance.
    My vet didn't know what was it. When I found the forum back in may and did some search I thought that's exactly Naomi's symptoms. That's why I order zobaline. But it takes about 2 months to arrive in Greece. Didn't know it would take so long.

16. Yanna

Yanna Member

OK

17. tiffmaxee

Look at the ingredients in Zobaline and then see if a vitamin shop has something comparable.

Yanna likes this.
  18. tiffmaxee

I’ll check back in 4.5 hours.

Yanna likes this.
  19. Yanna

Yanna Member

Thanks a lot!

20. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

You are looking for methylcobalamin B12 (not the cyancobalamin B12).
    Look in health food stores. In Canada, almost all methylocobamin contains sugar or mannitol because humans put the pills under their tongue. Try to find one that doesn't.

Yanna, Critter Mom and tiffmaxee like this.
  21. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Has Naomi had skin tears in the recent past or in the past?

Critter Mom likes this.
  22. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I agree with Elise, neuropathy...poor kitty. It does improve over time. Just be patient.

Could you make a note in your comments section so others will understand what's going on and why you're skipping doses?

I wish I had more experience with skin tears but unfortunately I do not. It seems like there was another kitty on the forum recently that had skin tears, but I don't remember which condo... I'm sorry I wish I could be more helpful.

Yanna likes this.
  23. tiffmaxee

Any advice on dosing?

24. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Personally I would not skip insulin. From 4 to 0 is a big loss because it's needed for healthy organ function and will help with the neuropathy. Unfortunately neuropathy means the nerves that give the signal to the legs to behave in an appropriate manner aren't getting enough nourishment that they need to function correctly. Diabetic neuropathy is common in diabetics and quite uncomfortable - probably an understatement. Imagine not being able to feel your feet and legs underneath you as you try to step across the room...

I hope the vet can test for other issues/syndromes. In the meantime can you give a token dose of insulin? If you can syringe feed a little something and a little insulin that may help her neuropathy. Just take things real slow and easy...

Yanna likes this.
  25. tiffmaxee

The cerenia was good but not Tagamet. Acid is rarely a problem. It’s needed to digest food. That’s old school thinking. As I said above while not eating I feel she does need sub-q daily to stay hydrated. I’ve never heard of risks for wounds. Has she had skin tears ever? That’s a first for me. A lot of the symptoms can be from CKD or diabetes or even pancreatitis so hard to say. She does need to somehow get 3/4 of her regular food amount or risk fatty liver (hepatic lipidosis) which is very serious.. Still thinking about how much insulin and hoping others will respond.

26. Yanna

Yanna Member

Thanks for the replies!

Just checked bg 118

27. Yanna

Yanna Member

She had 2 wounds on both sides that took about a month to heal.
    She had moved a few times while I was doing the injection (it was giving an antibiotic I think with bigger needle) . They were pretty bad.
    Now I've saved her skin so I can see what I am doing

ATTACH=full]56044[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

28. tiffmaxee

I’m sure Naomi would like input on what more she can do for Yanna. I know it’s complicated but I do think she needs to give some insulin. what do you think? Did she eat?

29. Yanna

Yanna Member

2 bites of kd just now.
    Left and went for some water. I'll wait for her to come back. I'll syringe feed her if she doesn't eat

Should I give zofean?

30. Yanna

Yanna Member

Thank you. Yes I'll make a note in the comments section

Sue and Luci likes this.