? 9/5 Snowball PMPS 129 - second time in 2 months got bacterial infection

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sumaira Aslam, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Sumaira Aslam

Sumaira Aslam Member

Hi all,

need advice. This is the second time in last 2 months since snowball had a foreign bacterial infection. Everytime it starts with a transparent vomit in morning which could be due to stomach acids as snowball have his last meet on 11:00pm and then sleeps and then I feed him at insulin time at 9am in between this time he doesn’t eat anything, anyways both times he vomited and later didn’t eat and looked lethargic And feverish I rushed him to vet within few hours got his blood works done and vet said both times that liver numbers are high and indication of foreign bacteria which is common in diabetic cats as high glucose level could attract bacteria. I want suggestion on what supplement can I give to snowball so he don’t get this issue again currently he is on antibiotics for 5 days and taking insulin levemir 0.75 units

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I have not heard that. I have seen higher numbers without that issue. This is based only on blood tests? Do you have a copy or can you get it and post all results?

Meanwhile please change 911 to a ? We reserve that for immediate attention because of a hypo or something where you might need the ER. Thanks.

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I've never heard of that either.
    Do you leave food out overnight for Snowball?

It would really help if you could get some mid-cycle tests in like you did when Snowball was on vetsulin.
    I'm tagging
    @Wendy&Neko
    who has experience with Lev.

4. Sumaira Aslam

Sumaira Aslam Member

T
    thanks I changed to ? Actually i rushed him to emergency today as after vomit he got fever wasn’t eating and was hiding and very lethargic now after antibiotics he ate so I gave him little insulin

5. tiffmaxee

I’m glad he’s doing better. Thanks for taking down the 911.

6. Sumaira Aslam

Sumaira Aslam Member

thanks these days very busy at work thats why not getting time to do more readings but i’ll try on weekend. I leave Dr Elsey’s dryfood for overnight as i have 4 other cats who would eat within a minute any wetfood left outside but snowball usually also sleep at night and wakes up around 7-7:30 in morning and wants wetfood only that time but i wait till insulin time

7. tiffmaxee

Good to know. You will follow SLGS because of the dry food he’s eating. That means a reduction is earned if he falls under 90 at any time.

Sumaira Aslam likes this.
  8. Sumaira Aslam

Sumaira Aslam Member

Attached Files:

9. Sumaira Aslam

Sumaira Aslam Member

These are the blood reports. Normally hes doing well but then all of a sudden he vomits and then have to rush him to vet. Taking him to vet and getting the blood work done stresses snowball alot

10. Sumaira Aslam

Sumaira Aslam Member

Snowball vomited again just now it was food that he ate vet told me to feed less tonight as he might vomit again due to high infection numbers

11. tiffmaxee

Has he ever been tested for pancreatitis? The second picture is too hard to read. There’s a place in the ss to enter labs when you get a chance. I did see the elevated WBC. That won’t say where an infection could be. What antibiotic was he given? None will work that fast. Any other injections?

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It's the weekend - I hope you can get some mid cycle tests it, maybe somewhere from +5 to +9 would be helpful. I see you reduced the dose tonight. We don't know if he was going up or down at preshot time tonight. Would have been good to know which direction. SLGS also says you need to do a curve at least once a week.
    That would be a good time to get a test in. Many Levemir cats nadir late in the cycle.

If he's eating a lot less on antibiotics, it could be because the antibiotic is killing his tummy flora and making him not feel well. Giving probiotics (2 hours apart from the antibiotic), can help restore the good tummy bacteria.

13. Sumaira Aslam

Sumaira Aslam Member

The vet didn’t suspect that and said its most probably because of stomach issue. Snowball now ate Dr Elsey after vomiting a little. i will check on him at night and will feed him more. Actually i live in United Arab Emirates here is it 1am right now

14. Sumaira Aslam

Sumaira Aslam Member

now he ate again Dr Elsey’s seems to be doing better but the little vomit he did before got me worried. I will try later tonight that he eats more I live in UAE 1am right now here and Sundays is a working here so i will try my best later in the week to get more readings. Thanks for the help

15. Sumaira Aslam

Sumaira Aslam Member

These are the antibiotics and also vet gave an antibiotic injection and said if vomiting don’t stop have to give another injection in 2 days

Attached Files:

16. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

OK, whatever is your weekend is good. But if there are any times you are home from work a couple hours before shot time, or it he wakes you up early for food, those are good times to test. I suspect his dose may not be right.

Metronidazole tastes awful. It is given more for GI issues than as a general antibiotic. Did the vet say where he/she thought the infection was?

17. Sumaira Aslam

Sumaira Aslam Member

vet said only bacterial infection mostly probably due to stomach issue she suspected and you are right the dose needs to be adjusted will get more readings to find out