? 9/6/20; Henri; PMPS 334, +2 293, +4 279, +5 289, +10 263, AMPS 303

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Katie_Waz, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-member-spreadsheet.234716/#post-2628055

This is my first time posting so please bear with me. If I'm missing any info, please feel free to let me know.

Today...Henri (my sugar kitty) threw up a couple times yesterday (mostly bile and hair). In the middle of the night it was mostly food with a little hair and this morning after her .75 U of insulin she threw up all of her food.
    I took her straight to the ER vet where they gave her an anti-nausea medication and and sub-Q fluids. I was advised to dose her with the appetite stimulant this afternoon bc that's when she was due for her dose. She has been eating fairly well since she has been home and I've been offering her food every couple ours. She has eaten 140 calories from. I'm concerned bc even though she has been eating OK her numbers are much lower than normal. She's been home from the hospital for about a week.

The link above is from my introduction post from yesterday which has all her information up until this morning as well as the link to my spreadsheet for her.

What do I do tonight as far as her insulin goes? Do I skip a dose completely? Do I wait until she hits a certain number and then dose? Or should I do a lower dose? I'm terrified of her going hypo bc that almost happened a few nights ago and a fellow member has been advising me on what to do bc I had not yet joined the forum at that point.

She is ravenous I think bc of the meds so I'm thinking I should continue to feed her?

Thank you for your help!
    Henri's mom Katie

thebigfuzz likes this.
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

You have had quite an intro to FD! Let’s see if she comes up by PMPS. I would get a test a half hour before so we see if on the rise. Then post for dosing advice it’s important not to feed within two hours of insulin so you might want to feed a little if not at the point. I’m going to go back and read your intro post.

Katie_Waz and thebigfuzz like this.
  3. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Just popping by to say hello and welcome! A ton of good info and food for thought on your last condo :smuggrin:

have you chosen a dosing method yet? That will make a difference.

You want to hold food 2 hrs before preshot test. If you are still between +9 and +10 a small snack is ok.

4. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

I just put out a little food...it's not her favorite so I dont expect her to eat too much. I expect without food though that her numbers will go too low when it comes time for dosing since they are already in the low 100's? I',, pick up her food in a few min so she'll have 2 full hours of nothing before her PMPS. Thank you!

I think I'll do the tight regulation method. I'll update my spreadsheet to indicate that.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

They probably gave her a shot of Cerenia at the vet...did they send you home with any oral to continue with (if needed?)

You may not need to use the appetite stimulant if the anti-nausea shot works and that's the reason she wasn't eating well for you.

As for tonight, grab a test at +11.5 so you have an idea if she's going up or still dropping at PMPS and give us a little time to give you some advice then about how much and when to shoot.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    Red & Rover (GA) and Katie_Waz like this.
  6. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

Thank you for the advice and taking the time to read up on her!

7. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

They didn't have any in the pharmacy to give me to take home but said bc my regular vet isn't open tomorrow that I could go back to them and they would give me another shot if needed.

I think I read somewhere not to start new posts. So Do I just click the little edit button under my post write EDIT: and add the 11.5 BG check?

8. thebigfuzz

The Lantus “usually” begins to wane towards the end of a typical cycle and a natural lift in numbers towards the next preshot is what one would be looking to see. Exceptions exist, however, for many reasons. (I’m sure someone can better explain those reasons :joyful:) there are many

Before then, a few questions:
    Do you have lots of Test strips and ability to monitor tonight if needed?
    Do you have any MC or HC foods available (medium and high carb)
    Honey,syrup or Karo?

The vomiting hopefully has stopped. Let us know if kitty kept snack down :)

9. thebigfuzz

click on thread tools, edit title, and then just add +11.5 and the number to the end of the existing title.

Katie_Waz and tiffmaxee like this.
  10. tiffmaxee

Meter variance is about 20% so we don’t know if tge last two tests were a decrease or about the same.

Katie_Waz likes this.
  11. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

Kitty kept her snack down and I took away food so she would have a full 2 hours before PMPS.
    I will and can be up all night if I need to, to monitor.
    I have a little jar of honey set aside in the hypo kit I made as well as the Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers which I think is high carb and some sheba cuts in gravy whihc I think is medium carb? I was having a hard time determining bc I cnat always find the ash content. And I do have tons of test strips. I picked up another box of 100 yesterday and I have 2 more on shipment to the house. I've gone through 50 in a week!

thebigfuzz likes this.
  12. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

Kitty kept her snack down and I took away food so she would have a full 2 hours before PMPS.
    I will and can be up all night if I need to, to monitor.
    I have a little jar of honey set aside in the hypo kit I made as well as the Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers which I think is high carb and some sheba cuts in gravy whihc I think is medium carb? I was having a hard time determining bc I cnat always find the ash content. And I do have tons of test strips. I picked up another box of 100 yesterday and I have 2 more on shipment to the house. I've gone through 50 in a week!

thebigfuzz likes this.
  13. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

Oh wow...I didn't know that! If it helps any her (+10) was 150. I'll update the subject line

14. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

Thanks! Ijust updated her +10 150

thebigfuzz likes this.
  15. Chris & China (GA)

Aren't you glad you're using the Relion Prime at 18 cents per strip instead of the Alpha Trak pet meter at about $1 per strip?

Right, only start 1 new thread per day...just edit the subject line as needed. If you run out of room in the subject line when you start adding in the PM numbers you can take the AM numbers out

You can also remove "Katie" from the subject line. We just need 9/6 Henri, AMPS...etc.

Katie_Waz likes this.
  16. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

I was just thinking that! How can anyone afford to track their kitty thoroughly using anything else

17. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

lol oops! will do :p

18. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

I just tested her at +11 198. So it should be OK I think to dose her with the .75 units? I'll test her again but i think I'm out of the danger zone...that I was worrying for nothing lol

thebigfuzz likes this.
  19. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

did the +11.5 test she's definitely going up. she's at 250 now lol so safe to dose I think

sorry to bother you all for I guess nothing...although I did learn a few things so it was educational for me! Life as a new sugar mom.
    Thank you al again so much! I would have been in panic thinking I'd be on my own with this so you have helped me hold on to my sanity as well :)

thebigfuzz likes this.
  20. thebigfuzz

It’s ok :) good to be prepared for next time! Hope Henry is feeling better and has a great dinner :cat:

21. thebigfuzz

Something good to start doing is a +2 on the PM cycle. If it is lower than your preshot # that can indicate a potentially active overnight cycle and determine if an alarm for an overnight test/monitoring may be needed. :bighug:

22. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

Oh wow...good to know! I'll definitely start doing that. Thank you so much!

thebigfuzz likes this.
  23. Chris & China (GA)

You never need to apologize....that's what we're here for! Those first few days, weeks, (months) are always hard....there's so much to learn, so much to remember and having the life of your beloved furbaby in your hands is overwhelming!

The more you post, the more you learn....the more you test, the sooner you learn how YOUR cat responds.

Don't forget to update your subject line with the PMPS!

thebigfuzz and Katie_Waz like this.
  24. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

Her PMPS was 334, she ate afterwards and tested (+2) 293. How often would you suggest my monitoring her throughout the night? Do you think I can lo every 3 hours...or even 4? Or do you think that's too far apart. I don't have work or anything tomorrow so I can do whatever is best for her.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  25. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

thanks for reminding me! will do it right now

26. Chris & China (GA)

I'd grab a +4 and go from there

Katie_Waz and thebigfuzz like this.
  27. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

nice....I see a nap in my future :p

28. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

She is at +4 and still dropping...but slowly I think? Her PMPS: 334, +2 293, +4 279

I guess this might be an all nighter when it comes to testing? every 2 hours? Are you guys concerned that it could drop too low? I'm not sure how much blood sugar can even drop. What number should I be concerned with where I'm going to want to start her on a high carb food? I'd like to catch it before we get the the maple syrup/honey thing lol Is there a point where I should maybe give her some low carb food so she doesnt get to the point where she even needs the high carb food? She ate 213 calories and this is the point where I'd usually leave some low carb food out over night.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  29. thebigfuzz

Low carb food overnight sounds good :) I think I see sleep in your future :cool:

30. thebigfuzz

The insulin seems to be kicking in at a good rate, and am not seeing a sharp drop. That’s good. Given the +2 and +4, I don’t think tonight is the night for concern. You did the right thing by posting and asking - especially if it was your first time shooting a number you haven’t seen yet.

From what I’ve seen, food intervention with MC or HC food would be somewhere in the greens and syrup if below 50, but every cat is different and it is scary at first as you go along. Some cats respond better to carbs than others and there is some experimentation with raising a kitty out of lower numbers and figuring out the balance for your kitty. If you are ever concerned by numbers and not sure, you know everyone here is happy to help, if they can. :bighug:

31. thebigfuzz

If you are unsure, you could always set an alarm to grab a test at +7. At the very least, you’ll be collecting data :)

32. Chris & China (GA)

No need for an all-nighter! You're good to go to bed now!

A lot of us drink a large glass of water in the evening so we "have to" get up....and as long as we're up anyway, we grab a quick test. Believe it or not, you will get to the point where you can test without fully waking up!!

Good day today for Henri!

Katie_Waz likes this.
  33. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

Thank you so much! I feel a bit better now. Of course now I m wide awake and I don't want to be! lol I'll set an alarm for +7 in case I doze off. :)

thebigfuzz likes this.
  34. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

lol I think I've actually gotten pretty good at the sleepy testing. I leave everything I need out on the TV tray and she's usually sleeping right next to me on the couch :) I've been a bit of a helicopter mom by sleeping on the couch with her. She's gotten vocal at night and there are still other things going on. I fee better if I can see her and feel her at night. Unfortunately my other special needs kitty needs to sleep in the bedroom with my or my husband at night bc that's when she has her seizures. There's nothing she can get hurt on in there when she has her seizures. We've got an exciting fur family going on here lol

35. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

Off to la la land. I figured I'd do one last test before bed at a +5. I had given her a little bit of low carb food and she's up to 289. I may set an alarm for +7 just to make sure all is good. I should be able to go back to sleep. I'll post any updates. Thanks again everyone for the amazing advice the the encouragement and support!

36. tiffmaxee

You can set the alarm but I don’t think it’s necessary as she’s going up.

37. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

Just wanted to update. All is well she tested (+10) 263 and her AMPS was 303

38. tiffmaxee

Hi. Would you please start a new condo? We like to see one new condo each day. Link this one to the new one. Yiu are doing great!

Katie_Waz likes this.