? 9/6/20, Tiger amps 158, +5 83.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Wendy Jones, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Wendy Jones

Wendy Jones Member

I upped Tigers dose from 3.25 to 3.5 this morning and based on the 83 I just got im wondering if I shouldnt have. It's really hard for me to determine .25 increments so he may have been getting between 3.25 and 3.5 already. Should I stay with 3.5? This is the first time going below 100.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

The 83 calls for you to go back to 3.25.

3. Wendy Jones

Wendy Jones Member

Does he just need more time at 3.25 to get under 100 you think? I'd be happy if it's not over 150

4. tiffmaxee

Possibly. He will let you know. I followed TR so I have trouble saying lower the dose with a 83 but we have to trust the protocol. People far smarter than I am worked on it.

5. tiffmaxee

What are you feeding? Please add to your signature.

6. Wendy Jones

Wendy Jones Member

also Tiger keeps getting skin irritation at the injection sites. I shoot around his neck and he keeps scratching and I'm finding scabs in several places where he's been scratching. I was advised to try to shoot lower on his hip but he always cries and jumps when i do that. Im not sure how that area wouldn't get irritated either though. If there isn't anything to stop the irritation I might have to switch to something else and I hate to since Badaglar is working for him finally.

7. tiffmaxee

You could try Levemir. Works much like Lantus.

8. Wendy Jones

Wendy Jones Member

Oh a variety of wet food. I went by the list and chose all under 7 carbs except for blue healthy gourmet is 8 carbs

9. Wendy Jones

Wendy Jones Member

That was my choice if I couldn't get him past the skin issue. I asked the fb group if that was common with basaglar because of how it works and i didn't get a lot of people saying that so I'm wondering if it's just him. He also had a reaction to advantage flea meds before and scratched himself bald where I put it.

10. Wendy Jones

Wendy Jones Member

I would like to do the TR but since I work I'm worried about not being home for a hypo so I feel better overall if he stays around 150.

11. tiffmaxee

I totally understand. I would feel the same.

Wendy Jones likes this.
  12. Wendy Jones

Wendy Jones Member

Thanks for your help!

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

We've had lots of people here work and do TR. There is even a post on how to do it. Is Tight Regulation Possible with a Full Time Job? Yes!

It looks like you are able to get mid cycle tests most days. For people who work, they try to get a +2 test before they leave the house. And if the +2 is lower than the preshot, they leave higher carb food out in the autofeeder for the cat, so he'll stay safe.

Tiger has been making lots of progress lately. :cool: It's great to see so much more blue on his spreadsheet. Good luck with the reduction.

14. tiffmaxee

I think it’s a comfort level kind of thing. You can always revisit this if you aren’t happy with results.

Wendy Jones likes this.
  15. Wendy Jones

Wendy Jones Member

Right now my daughter comes over and test him for me while I'm at work but that won't be forever. She'll be moving anytime now and I can't guarantee I'll be able to come home and test him. I do leave food out when I leave but he's not an only child. Depending on what was served its all gone by 10 a.m. I'm torn between between making sure he's a low as possible and making sure he doesn't get dangerously low while I'm gone. I figure better safe than sorry for now. I am thinking of switching to levemir though because of the skin irritation he keeps getting with Basaglar. I hate to since he's finally showing improvement!

16. Wendy&Neko

Many people find their cats numbers look even better on Levemir. Neko flattened out quite a bit when I switched. She also didn't mind the Levemir shots, but occasionally walked away from the Lantus ones.

Good for your daughter on the testing. It's great that you can get that data now, it'll help you in the future. What + time do you get home after work? The Levemir nadir is typically a couple hours later than for Lantus.

17. Wendy Jones

Wendy Jones Member

I give him his shot around 6 a.m and get home about 5:15 so he gets his next shot at 6 p.m. his nadir has been unpredictable. My daughter usually checks him at +8 and he's often lower when i check him pmps at +12. I was beginning to think it took him 12 hours to get there. Since his nadir today was +5 I wonder if +8 was too late to capture it. I've been having her test earlier to see but we had a couple of days of fur shots when I tried shooting him near his hip to avoid his irritated neck so that didn't help. Lol

18. Wendy Jones

Wendy Jones Member

If I do switch would I start with .5 dose?

19. Wendy&Neko

If you switch, you go to 70% of the Lantus dose. Most kitties need around the same dose, but some have a strong reaction to the switch so we back off a bit for safety. At 3.25 units, 70% would be 2.25 units.

20. Wendy Jones

Wendy Jones Member

Ok thank you.