? 9/7/20;Henri; +7 100, +8 110, +9 134, +10 166, +11.5 220, PMPS 269, +2 271, +4 239, +6 210

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Katie_Waz, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...79-5-289-10-263-amps-303.234824/#post-2629130

I'm doing my first curve today. I have my first appointment with the vet (since her Dx) this coming Wednesday. I'm going to have to explain to her why I didn't follow what the other vet at the practice said about lowering her dose to 1 unit in the morning and .5 unit in the evening. Can anyone point me in the direction of some evidence that I can show her that shows keeping the dose consistent was the right thing to do?

Also, with everything that has been going on with her, I'm wondering if even doing a curve today or the blood test that the vet wants to do on her this Wednesday (I forget what it's called but it shows the glucose levels over the course of the past 2 weeks) will even be that accurate. We lowered Henr'is dose of Lantus to .75 U starting with the evening dose of 9/4. She also went for an anti nausea and sub-q fluids yesterday and another shot of anti nausea this morning. I know with certain meds with people it can affect the blood glucose...I was wondering what your thoughts on that would be as well.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

This might help. Look at the yellow stick on the methods for more info for your vet.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19592286/

Since you are testing yourself unless Henri has other issues to check I would cancel the appointment. The only curve my vet ever did was after Max’s first shot of Lantus. He was stressed at the vet’s office so my numbers were more accurate. My vet internist agreed. The test your vet wants is the fructosamine which gives an average over the past few weeks. You are right it’s way too soon for that. You can get medication for nausea to give yourself and avoid trips to the vet for that as well. Ask for cerenia pills or an RX for ondansetron, a human drug, which I used for Max.

Your instincts are spot on!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

I did try to get cerenia to take home but their pharmacy didn't have anymore but I'll ask for some from my regular vert tomorrow when they open. How far out do you think I should make the appointment? another week (so long as Henri is doing well) will probably make for around 2 weeks of good numbers. Henri does have other issues, she was also hospitalized for ketoacidosis which I was told by the ER vet that it had resolved. She does have trace amounts of Ketones in her urine but my regular vet isnt concerned with that. She said if they get higher then thats a cause of concern. She also has Hepatic lipidosis but I was told that would resolve with her eating more which it has. Eventually she is going to want to look at that again but I don't think that's for this visit. The only thing I'm unsire about is that she is/was (not right now bc of the nausea) clavamox for "torturous" vessels that lead from the gall bladder to the liver. I'll have to call tomorrow to see if that's going to be addressed. If it isn't then I think I will reschedule.

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

4. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

at +6 her numbers are down to 111. With the lantus, am I still expecting a drop? I was thinking of feeding her some low carb wet? would that be advised right now? I get nervous when she gets down by 100 lol

5. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

at +6 her numbers are down to 111. With the lantus, am I still expecting a drop? I was thinking of feeding her some low carb wet? would that be advised right now? I get nervous when she gets down by 100 lol

6. tiffmaxee

We don’t know if she will drop more. I’d feed a little lc and test again in an hour.

7. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

I just fed her but she ate very little :/ I'll test again at +7

Thanks!

8. tiffmaxee

She may have hit nadir. Just a little is all that’s needed.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

her +7 111 so shes still going down. I know the lower numbers scare me but being that I should be on the way up soon, I wouldn't think I'd have to feed her any high carb foods unless she got into the 70/80 range? Now I'm concerned what to do about her dose tonight if her numbers don't pick up by dosing time...but I was worried about that yesterday and they picked up just fine...so I'll try not to stress until there's reason to :)

10. tiffmaxee

With TR you wouldn’t give hc this late in the cycle unless falling into the 50’s but ask if necessary first. 70’s snd 80’s don’t require hc either. If early in the cycle perhaps mc, slightly higher than 10%. Usually hc is reserved for dropping under 50. The last two are about the send taking meter variance into account. Stop feeding 2 hours before pmps. If lower than 150. Stall. DON’T feed and post for advice. Put stalling in your subject box. Retest in 20 minutes asking for dosing advice in the subject box.

11. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

OK...will do. Thanks for the detailed info!

I am still learning about TR...I honestly don't know much about it yet. There are so many things I want to research and look for on the forum and the FB group but I've been so exhausted that I haven't had the energy. It's like I need to know these things to be able to take care of her, but in taking care of here, I'm so exhausted I haven't the time or energy to read up on the things I need to know :/

12. tiffmaxee

I get it. Honestly I’m not being biased when I strongly suggest you ditch the FB group and just come here. It will just confuse you getting different information.

Katie_Waz and Critter Mom like this.
  13. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

lol no worries. I actually haven't been on FB since I joined the forum...3 days ago I think? Although I find the forum a little tricky, it's much more helpful. I feel like the way theforum is designed, it's much more specific to my needs, and everyone is super knowledgable and helpful. I alos fdon't have to repeat myself a million times which is nice bc its gets frustrating when youre already stressed lol
    I was trying to read the files in the FB groups to gain as much knowledge as I can. But yeah...that went right out the window with the sleep lol

Sue and Luci and tiffmaxee like this.
  14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What a beautiful cycle for Henri today. :cool: This is what we call a "surf" when they stick around the same numbers for a while. These blues are all within meter variance.

The FB forum isn't supposed to be helping you with dose either - so less to read is better.

Katie_Waz likes this.
  15. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

definitely

thebigfuzz likes this.
  16. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

May I ask please, what are you taking Henri to the vet for this Wednesday?

Katie_Waz likes this.
  17. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

+11.5 220
    Took a nap and let my husband do the last couple BG readings. Starting to notice a pattern here and seeing the...nadir? The low 100's are making me less nervous. I'm feeling much more confident with her numbers and giving her insulin.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  18. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

It's her first visit post diagnosis but I may reschedule the appointment for 1-2 weeks later. Unless the vet is planning on doing blood work or an ultrasound to check on her liver I really don't see a point. I also thing that bc only the past couple days I am starting to get things under control that her fructosamine test they are planning on running and my my curve at home may not be the most accurate yet either.

19. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Save your money for other things. You don't need a fructosamine test to prove what you already know.

Yes, I'd agree with you on that one - push the appointment back a couple of weeks and give yourself time to learn her patterns, and keep testing. You're doing a wonderful job - the best thing you can do for her issues is to test and treat with insulin!

Do you have a ketone meter? If not, you may want to consider getting one for testing ketones (in the blood)...it's much more accurate than a urine test but that works too. You'll want to keep an eye on her Ketones since she has a history...

You don't have to explain anything to your vet - I've been down that road...I showed them my spreadsheet and their eyes always go wide - wow...you do all tha testing at home? Yes, I do...so generally you'll have a better handle on her diabetes than they will...

Buy some time...

Katie_Waz likes this.
  20. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

And more knowledge of the intricacies and phenomena of diabetes too, I find. It’s like an intensive case study here :cool:
    Hope you and Henry are having a great day!

Sue and Luci likes this.
  21. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

Right now I'm doing the urine ketone test strips but I was thinking about getting the blood one. I thought I'd hold off on it for a bit bc of all the pricking im doing on her poor ears (although she really doesn't seem tp mind lol)

Sue and Luci likes this.
  22. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

Right!
    Thanks! So far so good!

23. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

PMPS 269, +2 271

So far so good I think! So long as nothing drops too low tonight i'll be a happy girl :)