? 9/8 Kirby AMPS 99; +2 143 (AlphaTrak) +4 49; +6 69 +7 75 +9.5 182 PMPS 311

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Staci, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Staci

Staci Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...66-alphatrak-10-46-11-73.234886/#post-2630028

Starting a new thread for today. Thanks everyone for your help yesterday.

Kirby seems to be doing better after his ER visit last night. He is still dehydrated. I'm giving SQ fluids. He will be eating snacks if he wants them. He is now on metronidazole and cerenia due to the vomiting/diarrhea he had yesterday.

I plan to pick up some of the Instinct limited ingredient lamb food, that's slightly higher carb than his current Instinct lamb food, today to see if that helps even him out a bit. We are trying to get him to gain weight and also get his bg stabilized, ketones down.

I've tried to test ketones a few times today, but it requires such a large drop of blood, and I haven't been able to get that from him yet. I will keep trying. Based on his lower bg's and the low night he had, and how he is acting, I'm hopeful his ketones have dropped.

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Fingers 'n' paws crossed ... :nailbiting:

Dehydration can also affect the appetite. Glad you've got anti-nausea meds and fluids.

Mogs

Staci likes this.
  3. Staci

Staci Member

Good news! ketones are down to .5! (from 4.5 yesterday) carefully watching his bg #'s and feeding snacks, 69 at the last test (Alphatrak)

4. Critter Mom

Hi Staci,

I see that Kirby went way too low again on you (49mg/dL Alphatrak). :(

I see that you've managed to raise Kirby's numbers back up to 69 but that's right at the bottom of the normal reference range. Please keep testing every 20 minutes and feeding small amounts of medium or high carb foods as needed to keep him above 68.

From the forum sticky on handling low numbers:

If your cat is testing in low numbers and you are not getting a quick response to your post, there are several things you need to do. (Low numbers are under 50mg/dL or 2.8 mmol/L.)
    • Depending on how carbohydrate sensitive your cat is, feed approximately a teaspoon or less of gravy from high carb food or high carb food only. (If you have a cat with GI issues, using a couple of drops of syrup plus low carb food is an alternative.)
    • Test again in 15 – 20 min. Depending on the numbers, give more HC food.
    • Repeat the above steps every 15 – 20 min. until your cat tests in the 50 mg/dL (2.8 mmol/L) or above range for 2 consecutive tests. Continue to feed in small amounts to keep numbers in a safe range.
    • Test in 30 - 40 min. and repeat the test and feed process until there are 2 consecutive tests where numbers are stable or rising.
    • Test in an hour and follow the same steps.
    DO NOT become complacent. If numbers have risen after one or two tests, it’s important to continue testing. Numbers may bobble up and down as the HC food and/or Karo wear off. DO NOT get one test where your cat has risen from low numbers into the 50s and go to sleep or leave the house. You are putting your cat in a risky situation. When in doubt, leave HC food out.

In the case of an accidental overdose or should there be symptoms of hypoglycemia, even if you have caught this in the early stages, you may need to monitor for literally 16 or more hours. Lantus, Basaglar, and Levemir are long acting types of insulin. This means if your cat is over dose, you will need to stay alert for hours in order to closely monitor and to keep your cat safe.

Please post your numbers. Those people who are helping you will not abandon you. In fact, they are staying up with you. The experienced people will even work in shifts to make sure your cat is safe and you have the support you need. Remember to refresh your browser to see new posts and keep posting so we know all is well.

(Sorry if I'm teaching grandma to suck eggs here! ;) )

Is there any food with higher carbs than the 4% you could give him as his main diet until the new food you've ordered arrives? (This is the only thing I can think of to suggest to you.)

Also I suggest speaking to your vet ASAP about what to do regarding Kirby's current insulin dose taking him too low.

You're caught between a rock and a hard place: Kirby needs the insulin to keep him clear of ketones but you need to find a way to help him receive it safely.

If you keep the title of your thread updated with Kirby's latest BG numbers people scanning the board index will be better able to keep an eye on you two.

Mogs

Nan & Amber (GA) and Staci like this.
  5. Critter Mom

Our posts crossed! :)

Great news about the ketones. :cool: Long may they stay down!

Mogs

Nan & Amber (GA) and Staci like this.
  6. Staci

Staci Member

Does anyone have a recommendation for a medium-carb / MC canned food? Upon looking up each of the foods I have in stock on the chart, I see that the one I fed earlier today was 20% carbs (if I remember correctly, this is "high"), and the other one I have on hand is 25%. I also have fancy feast gravy lovers. But nothing in the medium range.

Someone suggested the Instinct lamb "limited ingredient" food from the chart - which looks like a great option - but it isn't at the pet store, and from my internet research today, it looks like Instinct doesn't make it anymore... at least, I can't find it. any ideas for a MC food?

7. Critter Mom

Hi Staci,

Good to see Kirby in nice safe numbers.

Re your diet query above, I think it might be a good idea to post a thread on Feline Health asking for recommendations for foods with different carb loads. Also maybe ask about suggestions for calorie-dense foods (to help with both ketones and weight gain).

Hope all goes well for the two of you for the rest of the day. Really glad that you've managed to get Kirby's ketones down. Please give him some fusses for me. :)

Mogs

Staci likes this.
  8. Staci

Staci Member

Thanks Mogs! https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...s-for-foods-with-different-carb-loads.234956/

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Fancy Feast kitten food is 7 - 8%. Whole Earth duck is mid lc about 5 or 6%. Natural Balance in the pouch can be 16-19% depending on the flavor. One of them has pumpkin in it.