9/9 Bruno psam: 110 pspm: 99 +3: 83

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by aochoa, Sep 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aochoa

aochoa Member

Hello everyone!

I was away for some time, we had a rough few weeks. And a couple of weeks ago I switched Bruno to Levemir and didn't know if I should keep posting here. I see the Lev group is quite slow so I posted on the main forum and I was encouraged to keep posting here so here we are.

I must say that I am in love with Levemir and so is Bruno! Finally, we found an insulin that works for us and he stopped the bouncing (with the exception of 2 days psam because I changed the food and I think it was too many carbs for him) and he has been visiting Mr. Green on a daily basis :mrgreen:

He is now on 0.1u for 14 days. We have skipped some shots but his numbers go high (still within normal range), so I am not sure if we should try without insulin and start an OTJ trial and if his liver needs even this small help. I don't want to be impatient and ruin his numbers or his change to be OTJ.

In Ukraine, almost midnight but hope you all have an amazing green day!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Best stick with the .1 and see how he does for awhile

You're going to be better off keeping him on insulin a little longer than necessary than to try to rush him off of it.

We want him to go into a strong remission, so no hurry!

He sure does seem to like the Levemir though! I'm sure you're thrilled with this "new Bruno"! :mrgreen:

3. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

Great cycle for Bruno- you're making me want to switch to Lev - that is great that Bruno isn't bouncing so much! With that low of a dose, you will be otj pretty soon! :D

4. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

wow Ana, Bruno looks like a new kitty! Good choice on the switch to Lev!

I'm a little nervous that you're testing less than you were before, though. There are 2 ways he could go OTJ at this point. From the TR Protocol guidelines:

In other words, if Bruno goes even one more time below 50, it will be time to start an OTJ trial. Not really optional or opinion - if you can't safely give the smallest dose of insulin, it would be time to do the trial. Some cats are bouncy all the way to OTJ, so just the appearance of higher numbers doesn't mean that he isn't ready. The way to be sure is to step up the testing. At this point, he's so close you actually want to be more vigilant than before instead of less vigilant. You can be pretty sure at some point, before too long, he's going to need another dose reduction and you don't want to miss the occasion that he tells you that news!!!

The second highlighted part means that if he stays in normal numbers (50-120) for 7 days in a row, you could also try reducing the dose. Which in his case, means giving him an OTJ trial.

Hang in there Ana, it's so close we can see it on the horizon! :D great job handling him - just step up the testing and hopefully, you're going to catch a 40something! I hope you'll let us know - i know I want to celebrate it with you and Bruno! :D

5. aochoa

aochoa Member

Dear Chris, Ruth and Julie,

I am so happy, yes Bruno is absolutely a different cat on Levemir. It was our third insulin, glad it finally worked.

I agree Chris, on holding the insulin as long as needed, we have skipped a couple of times. The first week of the change, I was at home on medical leave, and I could test more often. This days at work are super crazy and some days I am working more than 12 hours a day, if I see him kind of low I prefer to skip than to risk him to go hypo. I have one more week of crazy working hours and then I hope I will go back to my schedule and will be able to check on him more often, specially during the weekends (I am now even working on weekends!)

You all will be invited to our party, once we get there!!

Chris, Julie I posted on the main forum and thank you for cheering and advising on us. I can tag on FB but donĀ“t now how to do it here. It great to hear from you again.

Wish us luck! I will keep on posting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.