9/9 Monty: AMBG 76, +4 81, OTJ trial day 1

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tom & Monty, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

9/8 Monty: AMPS 130, PMPS 94, +5 92, bounce AM

Here we go...

He's been off insulin for 4 cycles now and he's lower every time I test. I believe the theory about one drop just causing minor bounces has enough supporting evidence that we're going for a trial.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    thebigfuzz likes this.
  2. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

Also interesting to note is that Monty had his lowest AMBG even with no insulin!

3. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Could you please add a link to your previous condo to this one? Just for historical purposes.

Thank you

Tom & Monty likes this.
  4. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

Added yesterday's link.

81@AMBG+4

5. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

During an OTJ trial is there any need for testing mid-cycle?

6. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

7. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Well happy day one! :D:D:D
    Good luck. Come on, Monty, you've got this.

8. Sue and Luci

IMHO I think it's too soon to start an OTJ trial...too many blues still in the picture.

9. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

I thought that too but a few days ago I suspected Monty was having minor bounce from his dose drop raising his average BG. He's skipped five shots now (although I've only started counting OTJ today) and sure enough his BG is dropping OFF insulin.

10. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

There’s no need for mid cycle tests during an OTJ trial. I will get you directions but can’t from my iPad. You test each morning and night. If a green number that is it. If blue test 2-3 hours after eating to see if it comes down. Like Sue said your ss has too much blue for a trial but stranger things have been successful. Good luck!

11. Sue and Luci

Although I think it's too soon for an OTJ trial, here's the info - in case you want to save it for future reference:

OTJ trial instructions:
    Start the trial on the next green pre shot.
    If he/she is green at your normal test times, no need to test further until the next "PS" time; just feed small meals and go about your day.
    If he/she is blue at your normal "PS", feed a small meal and test again after about 3 or 4 hours. If his/her number is lower 3-4 hours after a meal, then the pancreas is working! Post every day so we can monitor your progress and see if any tweaks are needed.
    He/she may have a sporadic blue number. Don't panic but post before you decide whether to shoot so we can have a discussion.
    After 14 days of no insulin, we have a party!!
    Sometimes the trial doesn't work the first time and we have to give a little more support in the form of resuming insulin. It's not the end of the world if that happens; we just give him/her the support needed. Our goal is a strong remission and it's better to take our time to get that than to rush into remission just to have it fail later on. Once he/she is through the trial successfully, you enter a new phase. Your cat is still diabetic but has now become diet-controlled. Continue feeding low carb food in the manner successful for your kitty. If you decide to change his/her feeding schedule, let your meter be your guide to the best times to feed. Avoid medications with sugar in them and steroid medications unless they are medically essential. Continue testing blood glucose weekly for the first month and then monthly forever. It's a good idea to weigh him/her monthly. Weight should remain stable. If he/she seems "off" or sick, or is showing signs of diabetes (excessive drinking, eating, urinating, weight loss), test his/her blood glucose right away. Keep the teeth and gums clean and healthy; dental issues can bring a cat out of remission. If you see rising blood glucose numbers, it's time for a visit to the vet!