GA 9.9 Swiss Luna missing -- RIP :'-(

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Steph & Quintus & L & O, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Condo: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...d-freestyle-libre-attempt-and-success.217911/

Last night, a couple of hours after her injection, Luna either fell or jumped from my kitchen window. I've been looking for her ever since. She is very shy and probably hiding, there are lots and lots of bushes around. I have decent experience searching for lost cats, so I've covered my bases, even though I'm beside myself with worry (and kicking myself for being so stupid to let her 10 minutes alone with the window open) and lack of sleep.

I have an ongoing concern about DKA: in your experience, is there a higher risk of DKA after a cat has been somewhat regulated with insulin, and it's brutally withdrawn? I worry about two things: that she may have had a hypo outside during the night (she didn't pack her kibble and therefore had only eaten part of her meal) and that without food or insulin where she is, she'll start producing ketones. How fast can that happen (also considering that when I got her, two months after diagnosis and without insulin, she didn't have any ketones).

Any info to help me manage my expectations and timeline most welcome. And vines appreciated of course. I feel horrible.

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh no, how terrifying.

I can't help specifically on the ketones question, but I would hope that the fact that she is not known to be ketone-prone is a big point in her favor here.

Are you able to leave some food outside for her somewhere?

What is the range on the Libre? Could you maybe use that to help narrow down where she's hiding?

3. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Range on libre is 3cm, not very useful here. If I leave food out the other outdoor cats will eat it fast (+foxes!)
    Woman who fostered her a long time before her adoption is coming tomorrow to help. I’m going to sleep now and wake up to call during the night.
    Thanks!

4. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

Try a flashlight during evening hours, you may just catch her eye reflection in the bushes.

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  5. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

My limited experience is that cats do not go far, and will come to you when it is quiet (like at night) and there is no one else but you around. I would have bags treats to shake and cans of food to open for extra sound.
    Vines for Luna to come home soon.

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

One time, after all the people went away that were helping me to search for Buddy, I put out a sleeping bag and crawled in. Buddy came out of the bushes to lay with me.

7. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

Try putting her litter box outdoors. It worked for my cat who was lost for 3 days :/. Check with neighbors that might have garages or basements where she might have become trapped. Good luck in finding her soon. As others have said, she's probably near by.

8. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi I don't come on the board any longer so I was alerted to your condo and situation.

Here is how I can help because I work with Kim Freeman, the lost cat finder who is a cat detective and knows exactly how to help you find your lost Kitty.

please do not listen to all the wives tales that everybody is saying putting out litter putting out food going around calling all of that is a big No-No.

Go to www.lostcatfinder.com

Download Kim's in instructional video that comes with an e booklet and will provide you with exactly the information you need to know and the process you need to follow in order to bring your cat home quickly and by following her instructions you will triple your chances of finding him a lot sooner.

you will also see very quickly all the common mistakes that everyone is currently telling you to do that you can avoid.

The cost for her materials is only $25 and comes with a money-back guarantee so you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

if you need additional support Kim does online email consultations but only after you have gone through her materials because that's the only way her consultations are the most effective.
    That information is also available on the website.

9. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

See previous post

Attached Files:

10. Steph & Quintus & L & O

I love Kim! I got her PDF and video some time back by interest and have been through them. Will go back tomorrow when I’m less exhausted. I decided to remain optimistic (« hope for the best, prepare for the worst ») and it is helping me calm down and stay in a positive frame of mind while I search. Thanks a lot for stopping by.

11. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck.

12. Steph & Quintus & L & O

I am convinced she is nearby. When she escaped from her first home she stayed very near to the building. Unfortunately the bushes around are extremely thick (a cat paradise to hide in). She has a window open on ground level to the office where she spent two months in the meeting room (open too, she can come in and hide in her usual hideout). I have surveillance cameras out, and did put one of her hideout boxes nearby (will check what Kim’s advice regarding that is).

13. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Bubba pulled a few all nighters in the past. Two of those times he was stuck up high in a tree acres away from our property. During the daytime, I went looking for him on the adjacent properties calling his name and then stop and listen. Finally, both times I heard his hoarse meow from way above. Probably a fox chased him and he climbed.

Good luck!

14. Steph & Quintus & L & O

how long did he stay without insulin?

15. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope you find her soon. Sending prayers.

16. Bobbie And Bubba

Both of those times were prior to his diabetes DX. He did go MIA while on insulin but returned home right before the next shoot. Keeping good thoughts for you!

17. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Love,Light and Prayers to Archangel Chamuel and Archangel Ariel to help Luna come home:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  18. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Hope she is home soon!

19. Steph & Quintus & L & O

We found Luna this evening, dead, in the bush just next to where she fell. She seems to have died soon after the fall. I don't know if she was injured or if she had a hypo while she was hiding there.

I feel terrible. Sad, and also like I have failed her. I can't write much more right now. Thanks to all of you who wrote with ideas or support.

20. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

So Sorry:bighug::bighug: Fly softly little onecat_wings>o:rb_icon:

21. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

My lips will stay sealed.

22. Nan & Amber (GA)

Oh no... I'm so sorry... Devastating.

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

23. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

My heart is breaking. I saw your photo album... she was beyond beautiful. A kind spirit. I'm so sorry.

24. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

I am so very sorry. Please do not blame yourself. You did not fail her, you were doing so much to help her! Some things we cannot control... although that can be hard to see and accept.
    No more pain or fear for Luna now.

25. carfurby (GA)

I'm so sorry. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

26. Bobbie And Bubba

Oh no! I am so very sorry to be reading this!

27. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

So very sorry about this. RIP, little Luna :bighug::bighug::bighug:

28. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

I’m so very sorry to be seeing this. Please forgive yourself. You took her in and were trying to help her ... much more than others would have. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

29. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I’m so sorry :bighug:
    Fly Free Sweet Luna:rb_icon:

30. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I'm so very sorry to read this update. Sending support and prayers your way.

31. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

It could be she had a stroke or heart problem that caused the fall. I’m so sorry for your loss.

32. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

:’( please do not blame yourself. It’s an accident. She was loved and cared for. Some things are out of our control. Please be kind to yourself. Big hugs

33. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry for your loss, fly free sweet Luna

34. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear Stephanie. Please know it is not your fault, accididents do happen.

35. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm so sorry, Stephanie. I was hoping the news would be so different.
    Accidents do happen. Please be kind to yourself...

36. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm so very sorry.

37. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I am so sorry.

38. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Oh my, Stephanie, I am so so so so so sorry to hear about Swiss Luna. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: I can only imagine how difficult this all was for you. Please take care. Ming and I are sending you lots and lots of hugs and good vines in this difficult time.

39. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

She was such a beautiful girl, I had just caught up on your photo album yesterday.

She knew so very much love from you, that's all that matters now.

40. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry this has happened.
    Fly free Swiss Luna:rb_icon:cat_wings>o

41. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Stephanie. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

42. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry, Stephanie.
    Fly Free Luna, healed and happy.

43. Steph & Quintus & L & O

I just dropped her off for autopsy. The vet who will take care of her was really nice and understood what my questions are. I hope this afternoon will bring some answers.

Thanks for your kind messages. I’m in a fuzz of tears. Life can be so unfair.

44. carfurby (GA)

45. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

I am very sorry that you lost Luna. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

46. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss Stephanie, try not to beat yourself up. Accidents happen.

Fly free sweet Luna :rb_icon:cat_wings>o:rb_icon:

47. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear the outcome. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

48. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

I hope the autopsy gives you answers and some peace. Again, I am so sorry, Stephanie. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

49. Steph & Quintus & L & O

The pathologist called. She found some internal bleeding, between ribs and spine, and around a kidney, but not enough to explain her death :(
    So, it's likely she stayed put in shock and pain and fear, and died from a hypo.
    If only I had put a tracker on her! Maybe I would have found her in time. But of course, one is always smarter after the fact.
    But I'm seriously thinking that if feasible, skittish fosters as well as diabetics with access to the outdoors should be fitted with a tracker (this is the one I use for Erica, my civvie: https://mytabcat.com ) -- so all the more a skittish diabetic foster :(

50. Nan & Amber (GA)

Oh, Stephanie. What an unhappy "answer"-- not quite conclusive, lots of room for more questions.

I think putting trackers on skittish fosters is a great idea-- I used to do fostering, and a couple times I "lost" one inside my house for days at a time. A tracker would have been really helpful, doubly so when dealing with a cat with health issues.

What a series of bad luck events for Luna-- first falling, then injuring herself, and then being just way, way too good at following her instinct to hide. How many of our cats have fallen out of windows or gotten lost over the years, but had a happy ending? Poor little girl. Rest in peace now, free from fear.

51. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Hi Stephanie - You are right. Life is unfair. That is such a tragedy for you and Luna. But I know your history and you have taken such good care of your kittehs. Sometimes there is nothing we can do. And I would not blame yourself.

May your sweet Luna fly free and land safely at the Bridge. She was loved.:rb_icon:

52. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. I was so sad to see this. You are an amazing woman who provided Luna with such love & care :rb_icon:.

53. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Oh Stephanie, I'm so very sorry, my heart breaks for you. Please try not to think of the worst, and try not to blame yourself. Sending you healing vines. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

54. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Terrible things happen in life. An accident explains what happened and you are no less wonderful. From personal experience, I know how long we can replay the most painful of things, but we also learn more, and grow through it all.
    Your pain and loss will help you help even more people and animals.
    And dear Swiss Luna is perfect and free. An angelcat_wings>o

55. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

You can't predict all accidents otherwise we wouldn't have them. I am so sorry for your loss and angst right now. You cared for her and that means more than you realize right now.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

56. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Dear Stephanie,
    Your dear Luna is flying free. We can never know what might cause an accident. But we can all remember what a wonderful kitty Luna was and we know that she is watching over you from the Bridge, surrounded by our GAs, who will keep her "in good paws" until you meet again.
    :rb_icon:

In loving remembrance,
    Ella & Edward, Rusty (GA) and Stu(GA)

57. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. Wishing you comfort and peace.