? 9 Lives Turkey and Giblets RE Salmonella?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by HereKittyKittyKitty, Jul 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HereKittyKittyKitty

HereKittyKittyKitty Member

Since we started on the current cases of 9 Lives a few days ago, the cat is refusing to eat the Turkey and Giblets flavor. He has not taken even one bite. He's eating his treats just fine, and he's eating the Chicken and Liver/Bacon flavors just fine.

Is it possible the cat is telling us something about the Turkey/Giblets... like could it be contaminated with salmonella? I didn't it would be possible because of the high temps/pressures associated with commercial canning of meat, but with the cat's behavior, and the cans having pull top lids, I'm beginning to wonder :confused:

To be on the safe side, I'm going to discontinue the Turkey/Giblets until Monday when I can make some calls :confused: Fortunately, this is his least favorite flavor :rolleyes:

Anyone have any ideas? Is it possible? Or probably just a weird coincidence?

Thank you.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have not heard of any recent problems with that food.
    I would try a different variety or at least a different lot number of the Turkey and Giblets.
    Likely your cat just doesn't like it anymore but could be a problem with that lot of food.
    Did it start when you purchased new food/opened new carton of food?

HereKittyKittyKitty likes this.
  3. HereKittyKittyKitty

New case of food from Chewy. The other case of turkey/giblets I got at the same time from Chewy he ate just fine, although he normally doesn't eat as much of it as he does the other flavors. The cases of chicken and liver/bacon are also from Chewy. No problems there.

We're in the middle of packing up and moving, so I think I'll just discontinue and get something else when we get to the new state. He's been eating a little more of the chicken and liver/bacon, so he's probably getting about the same amount of calories. I don't need a sick kitty on top of everything else.

4. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I feed 9Lives Chicken & tuna, Chicken, and SuperSupper flavors. (12 pack is only $4.75ish at Walmart and their website) I had a few chicken that were not the usual color but no other issues. Chewy might let you return the turkey & giblets.

5. HereKittyKittyKitty

Thank you. 9 Lives answered my email, but they want me to call... I hate that because then I have no electronic or written record about what they said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.