96 hours no insulin----same curve!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Anonymous, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's as if I've never needed to shoot him at all confused_cat
    Well guys, last night I got my typical 110 this morning I got my typical 235 and during the day I'm sure he's hanging in the greens.
    I am not a good sleeper and cherish a decent night's sleep but I'm almost tempted to set the clock and bleary eye test him around 2ish and shoot then. I'd probably have to preset the syringe as I doubt I could see straight at that hour. just to keep him out of the 200's.

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

i'm pondering a thought and wondering if you're still letting him outside during the day?

it's far fetched but maybe he's getting all worked up overnight about getting to go outside in the morning (raising his BG) then he chills out after he's been out there and done his manly stuff (lowering BG)?

if you're not letting him out then my thought obviously goes down the drain :D

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

HaHA that almost makes me laugh Cindy, the thought of tomtom getting worked up. Let me paint the picture....He sleeps thru the night on his back all four paw skyward, slight drool. even when i get up to use the bathroom he barely stirs...i wish i slept like him. in the morning he just sits on my pillow purring waiting ever so patiently for his breakfast.
    Nope I don't think it's that.
    He still goes out but not nearly as much since....the incident. he took a stroll this morning after eatting but now is laying around...asleep, slight drool. :mrgreen:

4. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

what happened to feeding him during the night? I really think you should try this first. This morning I reread a pretty technical cat nutrition article which I struggled to understand, but something in it made me think of you guys. Best I understood:

cats have an enzyme process that goes on 24/7 ( no "off" switch, which is unique to obligate carnivores-cats) which takes fats & proteins in the liver and produces a steady stream of glucose. This is why cats don't need carbs at all, (and therefore gluc from carbs mainly turns to body fat stores)

If my understanding is correct or close, it explains why "chilled out sleeping angel" Tom has higher glucose after not eating for hours. Gluconeogenesis (glucose from the liver) continues to be produced at a steady rate (24/7). When you feed him I'm guessing it stimulates his pancreas to release insulin, which then handles the built up blood glucose, and it gradually drops.

Clear as mud?

5. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

Lori, that image of Tom, made me snort. Twice. Thanks for the lift!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

donna glad we could entertain you, forgot to mention the adorable snore that goes with it.

nancy, your absolutely right about me forgetting the feed idea. i'll try that tonight. nothing makes more sense to me than the concept that tom's pancrease needs the stimulation of food to make it do it's job. from all my experimenting the last few months with dosing and all that is the only constant clear picture.

now the problem is....cutting back on daytime food to give tom a midnight meal so he won't become the fatty he 'almost' is already. i can tell you providing tom with even a tablespoon less food at his meal will NOT go unnoticed. he tends to sit and stare and lick his empty bowl until i inevitably say "ok, you WIN!" and give him even more.

don't ya feel like you already know this guy???

7. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Know him AND love him :)

Honestly, your experiment has started me thinking about doing the same with Ari. I only let her get to 150, and then give her a micro .1 unit which holds for 3 days, but I'm wondering if next time she hits 150, I let her go with a meal and see if anything good happens.

Nancy - that info is fascinating and I may print and bring to my vet. They are (luckily) very open to any info I bring them that I've learned.

8. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

I'm late to this thread, but I know you saw my post about the freeze dried Salmon treats. I will need to go back and edit my post, but wanted you to know that it seems to hold for about 6 to 7 hours. So if you try this, the later the better :D I try to give Pru her treats around 2am or later if I'm still up. Let us know if it works!!! Also, you will need to figure out how many pieces will work for Tom Tom. Not sure if this matters, but Pru is 9lbs and I give her 3 medium size treats. That's about the size of your pinky nail ;-)

Good luck!

9. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

hi lori.

would love to see a picture of tom sleeping paws in air drooling :D :D

gave me a nice laugh too. thanks !!

hope your feeding experiment works. sounds like a great idea.

10. Nancy and Cody

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

nancy that was university education of an article! i wonder if janet (and binky) might like a copy. thank you for sharing.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

cheryl, he sleeps that way as a rule (unless he's cold) you may remember years ago after an insulin shot i used to worry that he would sleep like a limp noodle...i couldn't tell if he was comotose or what.
    when he falls asleep in the living room before i go to bed i actually carry him to bed, gently tossed over my shoulder like a child. he shows no sign of waking up other than when i put him down he'll stretch and purr and resume sleeping.
    i don't even have a profile pic of his beautiful face up cause i don't know how. am open to all offers for help. i could just move over his pic from the old board.

13. Nancy and Cody

This is a copy of my post in the tech forum that might help you in "tech stupid" language. The name/date of the post is below if you want to read all the other explanations, which I'm sure are better than mine:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.