a little dry EVO when I am away?

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by mimi1997, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimi1997

mimi1997 Member

I don't like this idea, but I am worried that the canned food will go bad in 24 hrs even it's frozen first.
    I will be away for a week and I am going to have a cat sitter coming once a day--
    I have an auto feeder that comes with 5 hoppers. My original plan is filling up all and placing two frozen cubes in last two hopper, that last one will open up 20 hours later---
    but I am concerned it will go bad even the room is under 60F.
    What if I place 13g of dry EVO instead of 1 OZ wet food? Big NO?

2. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I fill my timed feeder with wet food straight from the can, not frozen or cooled and have never had a problem with spoiled food having it out for 12-24 hours.

Most people will say NO hard food should ever be put out. I myself would not go to just kibble offered, but at least some wet during the day.

We have EVO and Wellness Core kibble out now because our new kitten wasn't eating enough wet. Smokey gets into it I am sure, though she eats little enough of it that I never see her in it. She has shown me 1 number over 100 and is usually in her coasting favorite 80s.

3. Robert and Echo

Robert and Echo Administrator Staff Member Moderator

I don't think 24 hours is a problem for wet food, especially if frozen. My cats eat mainly wild food (mice,etc) and wet food, but I always live a little Taste of the Wild Kibble out. More when I am gone. I have a very reliable pet sitter, but I still worry about my kids going without food for even 12 hours!

_Rebecca

4. Robert and Echo

Robert and Echo Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Oh, wanted to add that you might want to have your pet sitter call you each day when she visits. I've never had a problem but I know others that have. My pet sitter calls ME!

5. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

When we have a sitter come once a day, they feed canned in the morning and set the timer for the evening feed. Never had an issue but it isn't hot in the basement where the cats are fed...

6. mimi1997

mimi1997 Member

Thank you all! Your replies make me feel better by knowing "it's been done"....

I have left some Wellness can food frozen cubes for 24 hrs and they smell fine to me.... wondering if there's preservative or whatever. :sad:
    Maybe Fancy Feast or Friskies has more preservatives..... maybe I should get more of these... :oops:

7. mimi1997

mimi1997 Member

mice? live one?
    Mimi did catch a few indoor before but he never ate them (maybe he had?), he left them at same place each time.

Just curious, Is Taste of the Wild kibble better than EVO? I think EVO is too high in calories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.