? About rubbing injection site & Lantus depot

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sandscout, Feb 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandscout

sandscout Member

Hi, I read something in a post, then did a search and came across this posted by @Sienne and Gabby (GA):

“You don't rub the injection site because once Lantus is injected, it forms microcrystals that are deposited in the fat tissue. These crystals dissolve over the course of the cycle which is in part, what gives Lantus its duration. Not all of the crystals completely dissolve in one cycle and this is how the depot forms. If you rub the shot site, you break. up the crystals.”

I have been rubbing the injection site after each injection, thinking it would make the shot sting less :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
    I feel so stupid, I now think that maybe doing this has been the reason it’s been so hard to get Scout’s numbers down - a BIG contributing factor at least. Could this be why it’s been so hard to get him regulated? I am kicking myself to have missed this
    There are no words to explain how bad I feel right now.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Here's the important thing, you know now. We've all done things, and then we find out later that it wasn't right. Yes, it makes you feel bad, but now you know. I'm hoping the new "no rubbing" policy helps get Scout regulated. But you are still awesome for taking such good care of Scout! Give yourself a break, get some of the good chocolate, or a glass of wine or some treat you like, and keep being awesome.

3. sandscout

sandscout Member

You’re awesome, Juls. Thank you. :bighug:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Deb & Wink and Juls and Billy like this.
  4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If all of us that made this kind of mistake went around kicking ourselves, we'd all have a lot of bruised butts!

When you know better, you do better!! So now that you know, there's no reason to continue to beat yourself up.

P.S....I did the rubbing too when China was first diagnosed. As you can see on her spreadsheet, it didn't cause any long-term problems.

Deb & Wink and Juls and Billy like this.
  5. sandscout

sandscout Member

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Deb & Wink likes this.
  7. sandscout

sandscout Member

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Who reads instructions or user manuals anymore?
    Did you read the user manual for your glucometer?
    If you get error codes, that is where it will tell you what the errors mean.
    Sometimes a very cryptic and unhelpful explanation, but still gives you some sort of reasoning for the error code.

p.s. Your user signature still says Scout is in remission.
    You may have to shorten the SS link name, to give it one of those tinyurl link names to fit everything in the signature. 250 character, 2 line limit.

9. sandscout

sandscout Member

Ok Deb will do.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  10. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Yes

11. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

I did too Larry. For all 4 of them. Alphatrak, Relion Micro, Relion Prime, Relion Confirm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.