Accidental double dose

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Seasnskies, Oct 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seasnskies

Seasnskies New Member

My husband normally gives our cat her insulin, but he has been working many hours lately, and past his morning coffee break, when it needs to be done, so today I gave our cat her insulin shot, not realizing he had already given it.
    I am wondering if this is a serious concern, and do I need to take her into the vet?
    Any words of advice are much preciated.
    I do not yet have a monitor for her blood sugar levels, but have been intending to get one. ( any advice on blood glucose monitors sold in Canada is also appreciated.)
    Thank you!

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Previous post this is your previous post from 9-17 click on it , suggestions were given to you about meters, we asked you to do your signature so we have information about your kitty and to set up a spreadsheet
    What insulin did you give and how much , without you testing and knowing what your cats BG was we have no idea how to help you
    If no one responds I would call your vet asap

I will tag a few members to help you out

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/advice-for-blood-glucose-monitor-in-canada.253097/

@Bandit's Mom

@tiffmaxee

@Chris & China (GA)

@Sienne and Gabby (GA)

@Wendy&Neko

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Ann & Sister likes this.
  3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

It could be serious since he could get his blood glucose levels too low and that is dangerous, since you are not testing at home you really need to monitor him closely for any sign of off behaviour and call the vet

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you been in contact with the vet yet?
    Your kitty needs to be monitored closely if she was given her insulin dose twice.
    Please give her some higher carb food and get her to the vet.
    It would be helpful if we knew what type and the dose of the insulin you are using.

5. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

I agree with Bron, without knowing what type of insulin you are giving and what dose, along with seeing any BG history, best to contact your vet and possibly take your cat in to be closely monitored. If it is a fast acting insulin, giving a double dose can lead to tragic consequences.

6. Seasnskies

Seasnskies New Member

Thank you for that. All is well and she has been checked out. I am going to get a monitor, asI have intended to for some time. Very appreciative of all the advice!

7. Seasnskies

Seasnskies New Member

She has indeed been monitored, and she is doing well. I'm going to be getting a room monitor asap, and I appreciate everybody's input! :)

8. Seasnskies

Seasnskies New Member

Good advice, heeded, and thank you.

9. Seasnskies

Seasnskies New Member

Thank you for the good advice. All is well, and she is doing good. The insulin was Prozinc U-40.

Chuckington likes this.
  10. Seasnskies

Seasnskies New Member

Thanks very much! I appreciate it. :)

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm so glad she's OK, I know I mentioned this in your first post if you would like to do this
    Here is a link helping us to help you link. If you noticed, our members have some basic information about their cat's in their signature. This helps us to not pester you by asking the same questions (your cat's name, insulin type, date of diagnosis, etc.) repeatedly. We also have a link to our spreadsheet in our signature. We are very numbers driven. The spreadsheet is a record of your cat's progress. By linking it in your signature, we can follow along and provide feedback should you need the help

I can ask someone to set up the spreadsheet for you if you want :cat:
    @Seasnskies

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Seasnskies likes this.
  12. Seasnskies

Seasnskies New Member

Thank you for the information. Once I receive her blood glucose monitor, (that I ordered yesterday,) I will be able to get a better sense of where she is at, and can monitor accordingly.
    Thank you for your suggestions, and have a great day!

13. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Good to hear Chloe is fine, and I'm happy to read that you have a BG monitor on the way. Being able to see how the insulin is working will help you a great deal going forward :). Once you get going with things, feel free to ask any questions, people here on the forum are always willing to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.