Acro and neurological problems?

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Christine and Pumpkin, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Christine and Pumpkin

Christine and Pumpkin New Member

Hello, has anyone with an acro cat experienced nuerological problems? Last year Pumpkin had about 6 weeks where he was terrified of everything and would hide constantly. It looks like he sees something but nothing is there and he runs like devil himself is chasing him. Went away for about a year but now it's back again .

2. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

I just wanted to chime in that I haven’t noticed anything like that with Howie. I hope you can get to the bottom of it. Big hugs!

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I feel so unhelpful. I never had this happen with Darcy. So he hides… but then he also runs like crazy? I wonder if this is some form of hyperesthesia? The running would fit with that. Does he do anything else like ripple his skin or react when you pet him? Does he lick himself rapidly? And then run? Or does he stare? It’s strange that this happened before and then went away and now is happening again.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

When I've seen acros here with neurological problems (very rare), it's mostly shown up as gait or movement issues, or vision issues since the pituitary is close to the optic chiasm. One cat could no longer walk straight. There is some speculation that acro can cause headaches - it does in humans. Are you giving him anything for pain like buprenorphine or gabapentin?

5. Christine and Pumpkin

Christine and Pumpkin New Member

We do have buprenorphine on hand. Tried it but didn't seem to help. I am getting his ears checked today because he keeps shaking his head too. He is such a different cat and it makes me sad that he is like this because he seems miserable. Thanks all, this helps!

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.