? Acro/IAA results expected this week - what should I ask vet?

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Jay Dee, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Jay Dee

Jay Dee Member

Hi! Snuggie’s test results for acro and IAA should be in tomorrow if not today (as long as his vet isn’t out of the office - they rotate schedules).

what questions should I ask if either result is positive?

or if either result is negative?

He’s at 7u Levemir right now and is being treated for a severe UTI -
    we just switched from liquid Orbax to Baytril (compounded liquid) because we thought the Orbax was spiking BG. Doesn’t look like the sugar free med is having the effect we wanted but I’m holding off on a dose increase for now per my vet (until we can talk), who is being incredibly helpful in hashing this all out with me - we are trying to change only one variable at a time.

im thinking one of the tests will be positive and I’d like to inquire about cabergoline,

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

sorry to hear Snuggie also has a uti. Just looked at your spreadsheet. You need a dose increase. I would do 7.5... hold it for a few days, and if you don't see numbers down around 100, up it to 8. Acro cats tend to get stuck with insulin resistance if you hold an ineffective dose too long.

Jay Dee likes this.
  3. Jay Dee

Jay Dee Member

Thanks! So we don’t know if he’s acro yet but I’m assuming something is going on.

maybe I’ll call today. We won’t be around on sat afternoon so I’ll want to do the increase tomorrow or Sunday so I can monitor.

JanetNJ likes this.
  4. Jay Dee

Jay Dee Member

The lab apparently won’t get to run our tests til next week so we are on hold for now.

@JanetNJ - yes we will increase dose to 7.5 tonight since the new antibiotic seemed to have no effect on the BG readings, just wanted to run past the vet first

JanetNJ likes this.
  5. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Do you know if your vet has worked with acro and or IAA kitties before? It’s always good to know what kind of knowledge/experience level you can expect. I would also ask about their thoughts on treatments/approaches if the IGF-1 test is positive. Several of us are using Cabergoline to help treat the symptoms (not a cure necessarily). Some peoples vets don’t believe in it so have to find a vet who will prescribe it. I’m lucky that my vet is willing to let me take the lead on treating Howie as he’s read research but doesn’t have experience with either condition. I honestly don’t rely on my vet for a whole lot for Howie’s acro and IAA...my knowledge has come from this forum. So ask lots of questions on here!

Jay Dee and JanetNJ like this.
  6. Jay Dee

Jay Dee Member

Thank you! In the past he has mentioned an oral med but that was way before we got to this point ... he’s on board with my researching things so I would bet he’ll be ok Rx that if it’s not what he already had in mind.

I will certainly ask lots of stuff here! Glad for the support!

Howiesmom likes this.
  7. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

@Wendy&Neko
    Can you link the research articles on Cabergoline you’ve provided for others so @JayDee can give them to the vet if needed? I can’t find them in the stickies...especially the South American study.

Jay Dee likes this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Jay Dee likes this.
  9. Jay Dee

Jay Dee Member

Wendy&Neko likes this.