Acro question/Raymond James

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Lee cuzz, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

I'm about to get my Raymond James tested for Acro. Is there a cure if positive??? Cabergoline, what is that?
    He's on 17 units X2, basaglar. As yinz heard before, the more insulin I administer, higher he goes, or no change at all from 5 units X2. Thanks!!!!

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

There are several possible cures. This paper, see case #2, lists options and pro's/con's of each. https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...etes-mellitus-and-hypersomatrotropism.242965/
    Cabergoline is on of the medical treatment options. It may or may not cure, but can help acro symptoms regardless and many go to lower doses.

As for dose, I'd start by making sure you get a night time test each and every single night, to make sure he's not going lower then. I'd also consider a switch to Levemir insulin which seems to have better duration in many higher dose cats. Also, don't hold doses so long. If you are only seeing yellows, don't hold any longer than six cycles. Increase by whole units at his point. If/when you get to 20 units, go up by 2 units at a time.

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi there. I’m glad you are getting the test, although I remember how upset I was when my kitty was acro positive. You are in the best place to get support and accurate information. My Darcy was an acrocat and did well on Cabergoline. I wanted to get the SRT treatment for him at NC state University, but it didn’t work out. There’s also a surgical option that some on this board have done. You will see their posts on this forum if you scroll through some of the posts here.

NyCatMom and Lee cuzz like this.