Adjustments using your own discretion?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by vbc2000, Jul 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vbc2000

vbc2000 Member

Hi all,
    We are still in the regulating phase and we're close but I keep reading on different sites about adjusting the dose for a variety of reasons at your own discretion. I'm kind of afraid to do this! I have been told that it's better to err on the side of Tigger remaining high because Hypoglycemia is life threatening. I would like to get to a point of knowing when it is appropriate to adjust the dose.

What was it that made you all comfortable and confident enough to do that? Tracking numbers daily? For example, some feedings he does not eat well. It is on those days I think about giving a lessened dose. I anticipate switching his food soon to a better quality, higher protein food and he might not be eating well during the switch.

Any input would be appreciated :cat:
    Tigger's human, Stephanie

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Tracking his numbers, Jones is on Lantus so there are two protocols to follow that helped with guidelines for dose changes and the people here.

Every cat is different and every FD dance is different but the expertise here helped me see more than I could see in the beginning.

vbc2000 likes this.
  3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Pretty much; tracking BG as Tracey stated, realizing whole unit increases that most Vet's like to do does not work, and members here have or have had a sugar kitty :)

vbc2000 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.