? Advice for current low BG levels

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harukyo, Jun 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Hello everyone, I was wondering if someone would be able to help me figure out the next steps to take here. After feeding a diet of Purina DM dry and switching to FF classics Kyo's levels went from mid to high 200s PS to 106 PMPS. I am stalling another 20 minutes and then testing again and if shes still under 200 I will not be shooting. (our usual dose is 1.5u ProZinc).

I now have a base line for her levels established on our spreadsheet, so I was hoping someone would be able to tell me if we are going in the right direction.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If you keep getting Pre-shots too low to shoot, you might try reducing the dose a little so you can get 2 shots in per day

3. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Update: Tested again after 20 minute stall without food, BG levels rising to 133mg/dL. Did not shoot for tonight.

@Chris & China (GA) I know I should be reducing in increments right? So maybe from 1.5u to 1u ProZinc for tomorrow? Also what should I be keeping an eye on for tonight in terms of her levels? Should they be increasing or decreasing?

Edit: *Testing to Tested

4. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

I've never had a night without giving insulin (resisting giving the shot was difficult, especially since my vet doesn't recommend it). But I want to avoid what happened last time I posted when I gave her 1.5u insulin dose when she was at 153 and then I had to stay up all night curbing her levels. I want to work towards a moisture rich diet and I want to work towards remission. I'm just trying to get a handle on how to get there and what I should be looking for. I know ECID, I really relate to those people who post about wishing their cats came with an instruction manual LOL

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Do you have syringes with half unit markings? We usually recommend dose changes in .25 unit increments

Harukyo likes this.
  6. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Yes, my syringes have half unit markings! Apologies for the plague of questions. I thought that if she reads under 200 then I should skip the shot. So then if she continues to read under 200 do I stop giving insulin? Or are you saying to not skip the shot and instead reduce the dose by .25 and follow with close monitoring, i.e. BG testing?

7. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

From the +3 test (after feeding not the insulin shot since I skipped it) that I just did her reading was 266mg/dL. So I think that means that she shouldn't be off insulin yet, but a dose decrease like you said. I'm just concerned that she won't read over 200 for AMPS/PMPS and then I won't get to shoot. Agh, its tricky.

8. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Hey! @Bron and Sheba I'm so sorry if this is bad etiquette to @ someone, I just ran into the situation where you said to post if Kyo's levels don't make it to 200 for an okay shoot. I'm having some trouble trying to understand what her numbers are telling me :bookworm:

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Absolutely fine to tag someone and also to ask as many questions as you like.
    Ok so reading back on your thread, you skipped because Kyo was under 200 even after stalling. That’s the right think to do at this point in her journey. So for this current cycle now, we would expect to see a rise in numbers which he is doing.
    And Chris said that if you have to keep skipping because the Preshot number is under 200, then the thing to do is to reduce the dose so you can shoot both cycles. This is not an uncommon occurrence.
    So tomorrow at AMPS, if the BSL is over 200 ( and I’m pretty sure it will be) then I would try 2 units again (as long as you can test during the cycle) but if you have to skip again I would reduce to 1.25 units.
    Does that make sense?
    Also when you test at +3 and get a lower number than the Preshot like you did the last 2 morning it is best to test again a couple of hours later if you can

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    CandyH & Catcat and Harukyo like this.
  10. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Ah okay I see, so if lower than 200 reduce the dose by .25u and do our usual mid testing to make sure they aren't dropping to lower than 50.
    Also Kyo's usual dose is 1.5u which means I should give 1.25u right? I believe that's what you meant!

And good to know that about testing more when the numbers are lower after a preshot! I will be watching for that from now on.

If they do drop into the 50-90 range but don't go lower than that, do you think I should be trying to curb her levels again or just let it ride? I've been reading some other threads and people don't seem to be THAT concerned if their sugar baby is within that range, was I being over dramatic about that range last time?

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I noticed my error with the dose and changed it at the same time your were writing. Yes I meant 1.25 units. Sorry. Good pick up.
    I looked at the SS again and really you have already had two preshots under 200 .....it was just that you shot the one two nights ago and we had a long night....or you did;)
    So I think I would reduce the dose tomorrow morning to the 1.25 units and use that dose moving forward, until you need to change it for whatever's reason.
    As far as the lower numbers go .....it depends where in the cycle they are. If they are dipping to around 50 to 90 at nadir, that is fine but if you are getting those numbers at shot time then they are a bit low for Prozinc.
    If you do get those low numbers, it is always good to test again just to see they are rising again and not dropping lower.
    I am not a Prozinc user (but a Lantus and levemir user) so can't really comment too much about dosing. I'll tag @Djamila and she will be able to help you.

Djamila and Harukyo like this.
  12. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Appreciate the reach out to someone for the dosing! I will absorb any and all advice given about it.

And I know I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but what kind of trends should I be seeing for regulation? And how do you know when to begin an OTJ trial?

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

With Prozinc I think the numbers are a bit different to the Lantus ones in that you can't shoot as low numbers. You can shoot anything over 50 with Lantus once you are experienced and have data. Djamila will be able to help you there.
    With Lantus you have to be in normal numbers with just a drop of insulin before you can start an OTJ trial and the trial is 14 days with the cat in green numbers with no insulin.
    Here is a link to the Prozinc forum. Have a look at the yellow stickies at the top of the page. They will have lots of information which will be of interest to you. You might like to start posting over on the Prozinc page as you will get more specific Prozinc help there.

Harukyo likes this.
  14. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

I will start doing that! Thank you for all your help @Bron and Sheba !

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  15. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You are very welcome

16. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Harukyo - Bron has given you good advice about reducing to 1.25 and see how that works for a few cycles. How low you can shoot on prozinc depends on the cat. Some cats you can shoot even on green numbers. With other cats that would be a disaster. It's a matter of collecting lots of data and figuring out how Kyo is going to respond. Please feel free to post in the prozinc forum when you have non-urgent dosing questions.

Harukyo and Bron and Sheba (GA) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.