Advice for kitty considering move to Honeymooners

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by MJ and Gobnait, Aug 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJ and Gobnait

MJ and Gobnait Member

Hi All!

My kitty Gobnait seems pretty determined to move over here to Honeymooners after only one month on insulin. Her levels dropped very quickly with the change to wet food and she's been sliding toward a pretty consistent green for a while now.

When looking at her sheet, be sure to note that we only JUST moved from using the Alpha Trak meter to the Freestyle meeter. so MOST numbers prior to this week are even 20-30 HIGHER than they would have been if recorded using a human meter such as Freestyle.

She went to the vet for the first time just prior to the 4tth of July weekend when I recognized her odd movement as diabetic neuropathy. I really don't know how long she was sick before she developed neuropathy but can attest to a pretty terrible, dry, shedding coat for about a month prior to the neuropathy appearing.

Her coats is till not great but it's better. the neuropathy isn't gone but it's better (and she's on xobaline) but her blood sugar levels look pretty darn good.

I've been getting great advice from some very knowledgeable, helpful folks over in Lantus and am hoping that there are some similar experts here who have seen a few kitties go OTJ and might have a recommendation for me.

Thanks!

MJ

2. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi, MJ!

I guess you've figured out by now that the Honeymooners group is a pretty quiet place. So many of us who are lucky enough to go OTJ still have strong ties to Lantus Land. We tend to gravitate there.

I've been out of touch for at least a month, so I haven't followed your progress. Looks like you've either stopped giving insulin or stopped updating the spreadsheet. My suggestion, FWIW, is to post in Lantus Land for ongoing advice. It's a family!

If you've stopped giving insulin, I would KEEP TESTING. Many of us who go OTJ taper off more slowly than you have, over several weeks. Keep an eye on Gobnait's BG by testing every few days, or once weekly, to be sure it stays low - at least until his health is back, and you've seen healthy BGs for two to three months. You want to be sure his pancreas is really able to handle the job by itself.

Hope to see you in Lantus Land - Saturdays are for everyone, and every day is for someone with a question.

Kathy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.